Sign in to follow this  
MeneMene

Runtime 6- Read The Faq And Still Have Q's

Did you copy the makerwys.exe from the upgrade zip, into the fs9 root directory (where the fs9.exe is located), and the fsX root directory (where the fsx.exe is located?) Did you copy the rcv4.exe into the rcv4 directory Did you rebuild the scenery database the first time you ran rcv4.exe? I think this is where something is going wrong. When I hit "Rebuild Scenery Database", I get "Is this a Widef configuration?"??1st question: whats a widef configuration? I might be doing something wrong there.2nd question: what does it mean "copy the makerwys.exe from the upgrade zip, into the fsX root directory (where the fsx.exe is located?) ". What makerwys.exe? From where? I checked in my fsx folder, and there is something called makerwys.exe there already. Did it get created when I updated the DB?3rd question: "Did you copy the rcv4.exe into the rcv4 directory?" Sorry, but from where? are there 2?I got this last night, and it looks like a huge improvement over the default ATC. I really want to get it running, but this error is holding me back.Also, I don't see a "update radar contact" button anywhere. I'm running v4.3.3845. Is that current?I'm also running vista and running as administrator, if that might be causing anything.any help?

Did you copy the makerwys.exe from the upgrade zip, into the fs9 root directory (where the fs9.exe is located), and the fsX root directory (where the fsx.exe is located?) Did you copy the rcv4.exe into the rcv4 directory Did you rebuild the scenery database the first time you ran rcv4.exe? I think this is where something is going wrong. When I hit "Rebuild Scenery Database", I get "Is this a Widef configuration?"??1st question: whats a widef configuration? I might be doing something wrong there.2nd question: what does it mean "copy the makerwys.exe from the upgrade zip, into the fsX root directory (where the fsx.exe is located?) ". What makerwys.exe? From where? I checked in my fsx folder, and there is something called makerwys.exe there already. Did it get created when I updated the DB?3rd question: "Did you copy the rcv4.exe into the rcv4 directory?" Sorry, but from where? are there 2?I got this last night, and it looks like a huge improvement over the default ATC. I really want to get it running, but this error is holding me back.Also, I don't see a "update radar contact" button anywhere. I'm running v4.3.3845. Is that current?I'm also running vista and running as administrator, if that might be causing anything.any help?
Hi,When you go to the button "rebuild database" the first screen does ask the question-is this a wide fs configuration.If you are only using one computer then the answer is no.You will then be presented with a further box into which you should type the location of your FS9 root file(Mine is C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftGames\FS9) and let it do its work.You should also run makerways from within the FS9 folder in order to compile the database in the first place.These two steps need doing each time that you add \remove any scenery.Make sure that you are running the latest versions of makerways at all times.Version 4.3.3845 is the latest version of Radar Contact.In vista make sure that you right click and run as administrator every time you use Radar Contact.One final piece of advice is to read the manuals and try some of the tutorial flights,which teach you all about Radar Contact.The update button no longer exists as it did not work!RegardsNorman Bowman

1) if you don't know know what a widefs config is, you probably don't have one. (it is when you run rc on one pc, and fs on another)2) there is a makerwys.exe in the rcv4 directory. it is probably old. get a newer version from the link, provided in the pinned post at the top of the forum. put the makerwys.exe in the same directory as fs9.exe and/or fsx.exethere is no update button in 4.3jd

thanks for the fast replies. It still isn't working. Here's exactly what I did after I downloaded the new makerwys,exe and put it in the root fsx folder, replacing the old one:1. started RDC as administrator.2. Clicked rebuild scenery database.3. Chose no for widefs4. entered path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X5. Popup said "RC rebuilding r4.csv, running /MakeRwys.exe". Then it spent around 4 minutes going through the scenery files.6. After that was finished, I got "Runways and CSV files produced okay. FStarRC RWS file produced okay. Total airports=24529, runways=54841." I saw it go through the stock scenery as well as the addon scenery folder.7. After I hit okay, I got a popup saying "RC finished rebuilding r4.csv". After I hit okay again i got "RC rebuilding new a4.csv file"8. After hitting okay, after a one second lag, I got a popup saying "RC finished building a4.csv."After I hit okay, nothing more happened, so i assume it was finished.9. I went to the main fsx folder and ran makerwys.exe. It started going through it in pretty much the same way it did in step 5. It reported the same # of rwy's and airports. After I hit okay, it closed.When I then opened RC, I checked to see if it had worked by entering VTBS as an alternate airport. When I hit find, nothing happened, no frequencies, etc. It worked for stock airports. As if it didn't recognize the new airport code.This along with the fact that the runtime 6 error is kicking in intermitently, is causing the problem.any advice?thanks!

thanks for the fast replies. It still isn't working. Here's exactly what I did after I downloaded the new makerwys,exe and put it in the root fsx folder, replacing the old one:1. started RDC as administrator.2. Clicked rebuild scenery database.3. Chose no for widefs4. entered path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X5. Popup said "RC rebuilding r4.csv, running /MakeRwys.exe". Then it spent around 4 minutes going through the scenery files.6. After that was finished, I got "Runways and CSV files produced okay. FStarRC RWS file produced okay. Total airports=24529, runways=54841." I saw it go through the stock scenery as well as the addon scenery folder.7. After I hit okay, I got a popup saying "RC finished rebuilding r4.csv". After I hit okay again i got "RC rebuilding new a4.csv file"8. After hitting okay, after a one second lag, I got a popup saying "RC finished building a4.csv."After I hit okay, nothing more happened, so i assume it was finished.9. I went to the main fsx folder and ran makerwys.exe. It started going through it in pretty much the same way it did in step 5. It reported the same # of rwy's and airports. After I hit okay, it closed.When I then opened RC, I checked to see if it had worked by entering VTBS as an alternate airport. When I hit find, nothing happened, no frequencies, etc. It worked for stock airports. As if it didn't recognize the new airport code.This along with the fact that the runtime 6 error is kicking in intermitently, is causing the problem.any advice?thanks!
you don't need to do step 9if there is no vtbs, then makerwys didn't find any runways or the airport. that usually means that there is a scenery.cfg problem.what version of makerwys.exe is in the fs directory?

i don't need to do step nine. got it. I'll try again after dinner.It very well might be an issue with the scenery. I'm using a fs9 vtbs in fsx. I'll take a look. If i recall, the default ATC was working there, and the ai was taking off and landing correctly, but i'll look again.The makerwys.exe is dated june 26, 2008 and is 26.5 kb large. I got it off the link in the stickied post at the top.

I think the issue is similar to one faced in FS9. Try this:On your FS drive create a folder called AFCADs and a scenery folder under it so you have something like C:\AFCADs\scenery\. From your scenery folder for vtbs move (not copy) the afcad file perhaps called AFX_vtbs.bgl by convention into the C:\AFCADs\scenery\ folder you just created. Start up FS and go into the scenery library settings. Add AFCADs to it sdo it shows up in position one. OK out of it, close, and restart FS so it reindexes. Close FS, start RC, and run the scenery rebuild database procedure, then close it. What you have done here is give the afcad type file high priority for the scenery rebuild process.Go into your RCv4\data folder. Check the properties for r4.csv to insure this is the file just created by looking at the modify date and time. If that indeed is a new file then make a safe copy of r4.csv. Open the COPY in notepad or other text editor. See if you can find entries for vtbs in the runway list examining them for runway properties like location, ils, etc. If so start RC and load your plan with vtbs. Go to the controller screen and see if runway information is in it. If so then you should be good to go.I have only FS9 but the FSX process is similar and this work-around has solved problems for the few sceneries that give it difficulty.

that worked! It now recognizes VTBS's runways. It still doesn't pick up the comm's, though, and says they're blank, but I can just check in the respective boxes and add them in, no problem.when I get time i'll try and play and see iof I still get the runtime 6 error.thanks!

I posted this in the wrong thread about makerwys.exe but here is another way to check things out that you might find of interest should you again run into airport and runway recognition difficulties:Makerwys is the main function used by RC for a scenery database rebuild. I need to emphasize that RC runs other functions after that is run such as file copying and renaming, creating airports from the runway list, and other items. In order to do this you MUST start the process from the RC so it can perform these post processing options.Also, let me point out in your main FS folder that a log of what makerwys does is available called runways.txt. It is rather large but you can look at it. In a case like your vtbs problem you can see what order the scenery files are processed in. They are in sections for each instance of the airport in your scenery.cfg. Open the file in your text editor. Do a search for vtbs and you'll come to the start of the default scenery if it exists. Go to the end of that and search again for the next section. Some airports might have just another single afcad type file or another whole scenery section. For an afcad type file it may contain a series of delete all runways and other objects. If no further entry in that file replaces them, or in another scenery section later on, RC will not see them. In your case you should find the moved AFX_vtbs file as the last entry regarding that airport replacing all the runways since it is in scenery library area that you entered as position one.Sometimes makerwys when an afcad is in the same folder as the scenery is not processed as the last entry in that section and the runway information it provides is lost. I make it a practice to use the method I describe to insure the afcad provided by the scenery designer or modifier is placed in this priority AFCADs folder so it is processed last by makerwys.

I just flew a 6 hour flight from Bahrain to Brussels, and everything worked perfectly. No errors! Thanks to anyone who helped.