Sign in to follow this  
Guest abz

Rebuild Data Base Question

Guest abz

I just installed RC4.3 on my new Vista PC. Installation went fine. RC worked well.I went to Rebuild Data Base and was asked to give path of FS which I must have done incorrectly the first time.I was then presented with several boxes (I think 4 of them) which the only option I had was to say OK. No option to Cancel.Went back and entered the path of FS correctly and the scenery data base rebuilding went fine.My question is - what were those boxes that popped up with some questions (forgot the details) and all I could say was OK.Any problems with saying OK to these? What were their purpose? Thanks, Al

I just installed RC4.3 on my new Vista PC. Installation went fine. RC worked well.I went to Rebuild Data Base and was asked to give path of FS which I must have done incorrectly the first time.I was then presented with several boxes (I think 4 of them) which the only option I had was to say OK. No option to Cancel.Went back and entered the path of FS correctly and the scenery data base rebuilding went fine.My question is - what were those boxes that popped up with some questions (forgot the details) and all I could say was OK.Any problems with saying OK to these? What were their purpose? Thanks, Al
Hi,No problems with those boxes.You have installed RC ok.Dont forget to run makerways from the FS root folder before you start.RegardsNorman Bowman

Guest abz
Hi,No problems with those boxes.You have installed RC ok.Dont forget to run makerways from the FS root folder before you start.RegardsNorman Bowman
Thanks Norman but what is makerways? I assume this means something along the line of "make runways". There was nothing during the installation that said I had to do that unless I missed something. My install was not an upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3. This was a new install of 4.3 for FS 2004. Would this make a difference? Thanks, Al

Thanks Norman but what is makerways? I assume this means something along the line of "make runways". There was nothing during the installation that said I had to do that unless I missed something. My install was not an upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3. This was a new install of 4.3 for FS 2004. Would this make a difference? Thanks, Al
it's a program, makerwys.exeit goes in the root directory of fs9 and/or fsxmake sure you have the latest version. there is a pinned post that gives you a link to where you can download the latest versionjd

I have a text file I open with a shortcut on the desktop that contains the path to FS9. When the scenery rebuild task asks for the path I open the text file and copy the path into the clipboard. I then alt-tab back to RC and paste it in the path file. It saves typing and typos. If Vista is like XP, then ctrl-v will do the paste function.

Guest abz

Thank you jd and Ron. Just want to clarify - so this is the program (makerways.exe) that does all the rebuild scenery database for RC? Thanks, Al

Thank you jd and Ron. Just want to clarify - so this is the program (makerways.exe) that does all the rebuild scenery database for RC? Thanks, Al
Yes. It is the main function used by RC. I need to emphasize that RC runs other functions after that is run such as file copying and renaming, creating airports from the runway list, and other items. In order to do this you MUST start the process from the RC so it can perform these post processing options.Also, let me point out in your main FS folder that a log of what makerwys does is available called runways.txt. It is rather large but you can look at it. In a case like your vtbs problem you can see what order the scenery files are processed in. They are in sections for each instance of the airport in your scenery.cfg. Open the file in your text editor. Do a search for vtbs and you'll come to the start of the default scenery if it exists. Go to the end of that and search again for the next section. Some airports might have just another single afcad type file or another whole scenery section. For an afcad type file it may contain a series of delete all runways and other objects. If no further entry in that file replaces them, or in another scenery section later on, RC will not see them. In your case you should find the moved AFX_vtbs file as the last entry regarding that airport replacing all the runways since it is in scenery library area that you entered as position one.Sometimes makerwys when an afcad is in the same folder as the scenery is not processed as the last entry in that section and the runway information it provides is lost. I make it a practice to use the method I describe to insure the afcad provided by the scenery designer or modifier is placed in this priority AFCADs folder so it is processed last by makerwys.

Guest abz
Yes. It is the main function used by RC. I need to emphasize that RC runs other functions after that is run such as file copying and renaming, creating airports from the runway list, and other items. In order to do this you MUST start the process from the RC so it can perform these post processing options.Also, let me point out in your main FS folder that a log of what makerwys does is available called runways.txt. It is rather large but you can look at it. In a case like your vtbs problem you can see what order the scenery files are processed in. They are in sections for each instance of the airport in your scenery.cfg. Open the file in your text editor. Do a search for vtbs and you'll come to the start of the default scenery if it exists. Go to the end of that and search again for the next section. Some airports might have just another single afcad type file or another whole scenery section. For an afcad type file it may contain a series of delete all runways and other objects. If no further entry in that file replaces them, or in another scenery section later on, RC will not see them. In your case you should find the moved AFX_vtbs file as the last entry regarding that airport replacing all the runways since it is in scenery library area that you entered as position one.Sometimes makerwys when an afcad is in the same folder as the scenery is not processed as the last entry in that section and the runway information it provides is lost. I make it a practice to use the method I describe to insure the afcad provided by the scenery designer or modifier is placed in this priority AFCADs folder so it is processed last by makerwys.
Thanks Ron for all this information but now I am now totally confused. I have been flying for years but not sure what you are talking about above but would like to understand more. Not sure what you mean by my "vtbs problem". I did not think I had a problem. I did search that runways.txt file for vtbs and it says nothing found. So what does this mean? What is an afcad file? What do you mean by finding that moved AFX__vtbs file? Thanks again, Al

I think I answered the wrong thread, sorry.In FS9 an AFnnnnn file has all the properties of default airports including runways. A utility that allowed a limited redesign by providing a special scenery file to allow some of those airport items to be changed is called afcad and those files are known as afcads. The names by convention, not necessity, start with AF2_.I do not know what the default airport property files are called in FSX but I'm guessing an editor for them might call the its files by convention AFX_ to the prefix to the airport code. Runtime 6- Read The Faq And Still Have Q's is the thread I meant to respond to.