Sign in to follow this  

Asa: Real Weather Or Simply Ramdom Weather...?

I wonder what the Refresh button does, in between the Historical en Help buttons in ASA. The thing is that whenever I press it once or twice, the weather changes, specially the clouds. I am at EHAM. When I started ASA clouds were overcast. I pressed Refresh twice and clouds were Scattered, I pressed again and clouds were Few. I pressed once more and clouds were Broken... Now afaik there is a BIG difference between Few and Overcast... How can I know for sure the REAL weather is used...? Seems a bit random to me. Should I press Refresh time after time until the clouds stay the same, because right now, after pressing about 20 times, the clouds stay broken... The weather doesn't change that sudden, does it?Just restarted ASA: clouds were scattered, then broken, scattered again, broken, few... It's a mess! Not only the icon but also in the textual conditions it changes after almost every press. Just now I had broken, scattered and few at various heights, and now I only have few...? Again, how do I know ASA is shopwing me the real weather if it randomly changes it all the time? Depending on pressing the Refresh button I get a completely different look in FSX...!I decided to go to Soesterberg, it's a few kilometers from where I live. At first ASA gives me this:1115zm0.jpgA few presses (seconds...) later it looks like this:ek1guo.jpgLooking out of the attic towards Soesterberg I see this (made it with my phone, so it's a bad quality):28lugw3.jpgThe sun is shining fiercly on the left. I can't see a cloud outside!Am I doing something wrong...? How can I be sure I am using REAL weather...? ASA is supposed to give me real weather, right, and not just nice looking weather...? Right now it feels as if I bought a random weather generator...EDIT:Or maybe real weather is restricted to the USA? Because when I go to KLAX or KLGA the weather stays rock steady, no matter how much I press Refresh...

I'm pretty sure ASA is only as good as the latest METAR available. For example at my home airport (EPWA), the METARs are sometimes a couple of hours old, so they don't reflect the current conditions. The METARs in the US seem to update at much more regular intervals and are almost always up to date.Not sure why the weather appears different with each refresh though, maybe the weather engine just reinterprets the same METAR in a different way each time?

I'm pretty sure ASA is only as good as the latest METAR available. For example at my home airport (EPWA), the METARs are sometimes a couple of hours old, so they don't reflect the current conditions. The METARs in the US seem to update at much more regular intervals and are almost always up to date.
Okay, that could be it: I am totally new to all this weatherstuff, so... I thought I would/could simply get the current weather always, because I was told ASA updates every few seconds... I wonder what it updates then.
Not sure why the weather appears different with each refresh though, maybe the weather engine just reinterprets the same METAR in a different way each time?
Going from overcast to few in a few seconds can't be reinterprets of the same METAR, it seems to me...

Maybe I found the answer: maybe this all has to do with the CAVOK Cloud Generation setting, and also No Data Cloud Generation...? Maybe information from Europe isn't that complete?I have to say btw weather looks great, really great. A lot better than with the default weather engine. :( BTW I also enabled Automatic Downloads...! I was very surprised to see that wasn't on by default, Makes some difference too during a long flight, I guess.

Hi All,If you think the sky conditions are not matching real conditions please reduce the 4 cloud sliders to zero and see if that works better.Thanks,

Hi All,If you think the sky conditions are not matching real conditions please reduce the 4 cloud sliders to zero and see if that works better.Thanks,
Not for nothing but how does that solve the problem? If you reduce the cloud sliders to zero, then take off and fly some distance away, then your not getting realistic conditions during your travels. Solution would be to have ASA work correctly yes?

Eric 

Guest Rene_EHGV

I think the problem is in ASA: Asx Ok Asa Wrong.Xengine (= ASX) separate gives the right results. Fot the time being I am back to ASX

Eric,Those sliders do not change the clouds that are reported in the METAR data.Thanks,