Sign in to follow this  
RoyH

Fs9 Runway Strobe Lighting

HiI have just re-installed FS9 onto a new PC.Intel Dual E8600 ( 2X 3.33 Ghz)8GB RAMNVidia GEFORCE 1MB 9800GTVista 64bit Home Premium.When I tried flights at Seattle Tacoma, ruwnays had flashing strobe lights. Same at Atlanta, San Francisco, Los Angeles.Tried in UK at London Heathrow, Gatwick, Glasgow - none had strobe runway lights.I thought on my old PC this was because I could not have the sliders to the "right" Lights are now on 8.Is this correct? The strobe lights look so much better.Best regardsRoyH

HiI have just re-installed FS9 onto a new PC.Intel Dual E8600 ( 2X 3.33 Ghz)8GB RAMNVidia GEFORCE 1MB 9800GTVista 64bit Home Premium.When I tried flights at Seattle Tacoma, ruwnays had flashing strobe lights. Same at Atlanta, San Francisco, Los Angeles.Tried in UK at London Heathrow, Gatwick, Glasgow - none had strobe runway lights.I thought on my old PC this was because I could not have the sliders to the "right" Lights are now on 8.Is this correct? The strobe lights look so much better.Best regardsRoyH
I believe you will find that the lighting you prefer is called MALSR - and this is set in the afcad for the particular airport. What you are seeing is not dependent upon your lighting settings.There are several different type of approach lighting available and "most" of the US airports in FS2004 are setup using the actual type of lighting which is installed.The Glasgow afcad is set to use a type known as Calvet-2. I have no idea if that is indeed what is in place at the airport or not.You can use the free AFCAD program by Lee Swordy to change the approach lighting type if you so desire. Just keep in mind that if realism is important, such changes should not be made.If you do not have the AFCAD program, you can find it here:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=46238It has an excellent Help section which explains what the rogram can and cannot do and exactly how to use it.Just for the record, I too much prefer the "look" of the MALSR type approach lighting.Hope this is helpful. :(

I believe you will find that the lighting you prefer is called MALSR - and this is set in the afcad for the particular airport. What you are seeing is not dependent upon your lighting settings.There are several different type of approach lighting available and "most" of the US airports in FS2004 are setup using the actual type of lighting which is installed.The Glasgow afcad is set to use a type known as Calvet-2. I have no idea if that is indeed what is in place at the airport or not.You can use the free AFCAD program by Lee Swordy to change the approach lighting type if you so desire. Just keep in mind that if realism is important, such changes should not be made.If you do not have the AFCAD program, you can find it here:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=46238It has an excellent Help section which explains what the rogram can and cannot do and exactly how to use it.Just for the record, I too much prefer the "look" of the MALSR type approach lighting.Hope this is helpful. :(
Hi DavidThanks for your help - I will try this out.Best regardsRoyH

Hi DavidI have tried to download Lee Swordy's approach lighting program, but it no longer appears to be in the library. I get the header but no file.Any suggestions gratefully receivedMany thanksRoyH :

:(

I believe Glasgow and Heathrow should both be CALVERT 2. In FS CALVERT won't show strobes, even if you add them in AFCAD. As near as I can tell, IRL there aren't strobes on Calvert system. So you would have to change to ALSF system to get the strobes. Note that strobes only show when vis is 3 nm or less (at least in FSX, probably same in FS9).scott s..