Sign in to follow this  

Md-11: Appr Only

During my last three flights, towards 2 different airports, I coulnd't autoland: I got the message it was APPR ONLY. No big deal, but I want to be able to autoland! Anyone knows what causes autoland not to work? Is it because of the ILS (does it need something specific)? Or did I do something wrong while planning the STAR? Or are there any other reasons for AUTOLAND not to work? The ILS freq is loaded (automatically) and I did press the appr button: it armed and all is fine but at 1400 ft or so it doesn't turn into DUAL LAND...

Do you get the green box in the bottom of the SD display? It won't shift into autoland unless it is happy, and it shows its happiness with a green box.Things to check: Autobraking, slats armed, etc.Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

Jeroen,I have to correct Dan on this one. Dual Land or Single Land does not care whether your spoilers are armed or autobrake is set. What's important is that you arm APPR/LAND and capture LOC and G/S above 1500ft AGL. If you do that too late you might not be able to autoland. There are various other limitations to the AFS on this one so being too low at capturing the ILS you risk that AFS will prevent you from doing an autoland.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Yep, there was a green box up to 1400 ft. I have everything set up correctly way up higher, way before the final turn, already at 6000 ft sometimes. LOC and G/S were active too, flaps, autobrakes, everything. But when it's time for DUAL LAND to come on screen (about 1400 ft) it just doesn't: LOC and G/S don't become green: they stay white, and APPR ONLY appears.Well, we'll see what happens during the next flight... :(

I'm glad I got corrected, that's how I learn.I've not experienced the problem you are having, what is the height above ground that you are intercepting the glideslope? I wasn't aware of the 1500 ft limitation, which is pretty generous considering most FAFs are about 5 nm and 1650 agl.

Dan Downs KCRP

I usually fly at 3000 to intercept. My last flight, to the same airfield I tried earlier on, went well... I did land on another runway though... I was extra cautios: maybe that helped. :( And I also carried less fuel, although I don't think I was too heavy the previous times. I really can't think of anything I did wrong, but it must have been something...!

Maybe not the problem, but there are ILS approaches that cannot be autolanded because of offset localizer. JFK ILS22R comes to mind.

Dan Downs KCRP

My experience has been that the aircraft has to be totally trimmed for final BEFORE 1500 agl, ie landing flaps, flap ref, weight, landing gear ...etc.I also try to make sure the throttle on my joystick is in the idle position before 1500 agl. ..I think shifty winds can also take you out of "dual land" mode.Ken