Sign in to follow this  
Guest sunbear

High Def Television For Fs9

Guest sunbear

Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced H.D. 1080p television for FS9. My spec's are as follows: The only programs that I fly are PMDG aircraft.6600 Dual core conroe processor overclocked to 3.16gig4 gig of matched Pc2-800 ramPNY 8800GT 512 meg Graphics card21" gateway widescreen monitor120 gig hitachi hard drivemain processor cooler w/fanAsus P5B-E motherboardjack

Guest sunbear
Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced H.D. 1080p television for FS9. My spec's are as follows: The only programs that I fly are PMDG aircraft.6600 Dual core conroe processor overclocked to 3.16gig4 gig of matched Pc2-800 ramPNY 8800GT 512 meg Graphics card21" gateway widescreen monitor120 gig hitachi hard drivemain processor cooler w/fanAsus P5B-E motherboardjack
Anybody have an answer to my question above?jack

I think that any Full HD (1080p) capable tv with HDMI input will do. It's really depends on other factors - what's available near you, your budget and your own preference. Ultimately you need to decide :( I doubt that you'll see that much difference between different makes and models.

Guest sunbear
I think that any Full HD (1080p) capable tv with HDMI input will do. It's really depends on other factors - what's available near you, your budget and your own preference. Ultimately you need to decide :( I doubt that you'll see that much difference between different makes and models.
Thanks for your input. I was just wandering if anybody out there has a 40" LCD and what the definition is like when viewing aircraft instrument panels etc. Is the image sharp or do you have to sit back 10 feet to bring it to focus? Also, would it be wise to get an LCD with 120mhz processing speed or will a standard LCD do the job?Regards,jack

Guest D17S

Good, better, best. 120 is not used at a computer's 60Hz refresh rate. Anything above 60FPS is just wasting CPU/GPU cycles. We saw that on the MD11 FS9 beta just the other day. The code is soo efficient, it as running at 200 FPS . . . and starving the rest of the software's functionally. Locking at 40 fixed the problem. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1201306784758http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1205537712071http://www.electronics-expo.com/index.php?...;id=SAMLNT4081FHonestly, you won't tell much difference. Run em at 1920 x 1080 (1080p). I use the 4081f right now. However I've used good and best at 6 inches from the screen with the PMDG stuff on final. Pic is Clear and Crisp, even at 6 inches, even with "Good."

Hi Jack."…LCD with 120mhz processing speed or will a standard LCD do the job?"I am assuming that you are referring to 120Hz Refresh rate? If that is correct, the answer will depend on a couple, what you are watching, 24 FPS movies / Sports, or just DVDs / news etc. For the first the 120 is better, but it's more expensive, and that is the second factor.I, personally, Can see the difference between the two and I like the 120 Hz.Note: I use VC Mode only and all the following is based on that.As far as using the Sim on a TV screen, I have a 47 in.1080p / 120 Hz, and one 1080p / 60 Hz. I tested all types of combinations, VGA, HMDI, Super Video and none were satisfactory, in my opinion. In a Wide mode you will have to reformat / resize some of your gauges otherwise they are not perfectly round, and there are other annoying issues that you can resolve with some effort.What I keep coming back to, is my 2, or 3, 21 in. CRT Monitors set up, as my first choice. On this setup everything that is annoying is part of the Sim / Software itself, and I cannot stand the stutters or micro stutters, especially in Vista regardless of what trough put you have, that most people seem not to notice, or care about.I am in an real plane on a daily basis, and when I get back on the ground, and use the Sim in VFR mode, I want to get the same, or as close as possible, visual sensation. No stutters are accepted, for that reason my first choice of sims is Fly!II, where I got it set up with Scenery and No stutters that most closely resembles real flight, then MSFS.Second choice is my 1024x768 LCD projector on a 50 in. diagonal screen, 3rd is 3xLCDs with a maximum of 2ms response time. We all have different standards / requirements and you will have to test and see what works for you, for me LCDs are out because of the Blacks and the annoying update lag on the Horizontal pan, something most people don't even seem to notice, that by the way is somewhat minimized by the 120 Hz Refresh rate.Yes, the larger the Display surface, and the Sharper the device that you are looking at, given the same DPIs (dots per inch), the more noticeable the gap between the pixels.Bottom line, you will have to see what works for you, but if you go beyond about 40 in. in display, you will have to go much higher than 1080p, in my opinion, to get a satisfactory result, that also depends on your visual acuity, 20/13 not exactly the same as 20/30, if you use correction glasses take them off and see if that works for you, and / or what you are willing to accept. TV

Guest sunbear

Thank you gents for your replies. I will definitely take these inputs into consideration when I decide what purchase to make.Regards,jack

Thank you gents for your replies. I will definitely take these inputs into consideration when I decide what purchase to make.Regards,jack
I just bought the 42" 1080p Dynex at Future Shop for $649, and I am really happy with it. I use it with FSX, but I'm sure it will work with FS9 as well. I sit about 2 feet away, and the gauges and text are pretty good. They are a slight bit fuzzy, but still very readable. I do use my dell 24" below it with all the gauges on it though. Bill

Guest sunbear
I just bought the 42" 1080p Dynex at Future Shop for $649, and I am really happy with it. I use it with FSX, but I'm sure it will work with FS9 as well. I sit about 2 feet away, and the gauges and text are pretty good. They are a slight bit fuzzy, but still very readable. I do use my dell 24" below it with all the gauges on it though. Bill
Thanks Bill. I was wandering about that brand. I've seen it in BestBuy or Circuit City and was curious if it would run flightsim with any kind of good resolution to the gauges etc. Do you know who makes the Dynex label? I know that BestBuy has their Insignia brand which I think is made by LG & another leader in the LCD arena but I don't know who makes the Dynex brand.Regards,jack

Thanks Bill. I was wandering about that brand. I've seen it in BestBuy or Circuit City and was curious if it would run flightsim with any kind of good resolution to the gauges etc. Do you know who makes the Dynex label? I know that BestBuy has their Insignia brand which I think is made by LG & another leader in the LCD arena but I don't know who makes the Dynex brand.Regards,jack
Hi Jack,I'm not sure who makes it, but in the ATI CCC, it says Prima HDTV. They are a Chinese company.This TV gets great reviews on this AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1039018 , and is a diamond in the rough when it comes to bang for the buck. It is not as good as a $1500 Panasonic etc.. but at half the price, around $650 you cant loose. If you only use it for Gaming, you don't need all the extras that come with the more expensive TV's.I got the extra 3 yr warranty to be on the safe side. With that, it still only came to $ 800, still a very good deal.Bill