Guest firehawk44
Hi, Is XPAX worth getting? I read the review in Computer Pilot and it gave it a good one.Greg
I'm actually very happy to see you posted your question in the Hi Fi Forum. I saw that you posted in the FSX Forum and my response as well as the others was not very productive and helpful in making an intelligent decision. I personally like XPAX and think it's well worth purchasing. I used it today in a flight from LAX to SFO with ASX Enhanced and the default 737 and 94% of the passengers were happy with my flying. It has all the pre-boarding announcements as well as the on-board announcements and you don't have to do much to get them to function properly (like placing your aircraft at a gate and opening the door will trigger boarding; leveling off in flight will bring on the cruise and turn off seat belt announcements, etc.). I also installed FS Passengers the other day and have tried it twice on flights from SFO to LAX and, on both occasions, the default 737 crashed because of stress on the airframe. I also had the ASX Enhanced weather program enabled and it seems to me that FSP has very sensitive settings. Yes, I know I can go in and lower the sensitivities but the settings I used were the FSP default. There's nothing that frustrates me more setting up a IFR flight with real weather, setting the aircraft up, taking off, and 15-30 minutes into the flight, while AP is engaged and going less than 250, the flight crashes because of too much wind stress on a wing. Too bad.... start all over again! (and don't forget to set up your company again as you were killed in the aircraft). A better representation by the FSP program would have required me to seek maintenance after the flight. But I digress. You were asking about XPAX. I highly recommend you check out the forum here regarding XPAX and that will give you some indications of the quality of this program and the support you will receive. I strongly recommend you look at the FSPassenger forum too. Another thing I like in XPAX is the ability to watch people sitting in the terminal, then called up for boarding, and then watching them go down the ramp and into the aircraft as I, the pilot, prepare the aircraft for takeoff. I watch these videos by placing FSX in windowed mode and placing the XPAX program next to the FSX screen. You can also monitor the boarding process and review the status of your flight at any time! Occasionally, you'll receive a notice in FSX as to how well the passengers are enjoying your flying (or NOT!). Lastly, I recommend this program because the developers are well known and respected in the flight simulation community. I personally don't think you can go wrong with this purchase! :( Best regards,Jim

Guest lingfors

It depends on your expectations.If you expect a light-weight passenger simulation, with some well-done voice packs and a scoring and ranking system that lacks meaning or explanation (and that really only gets affected by your landings), then XPax is for you.If you expect a serious airline simulation, where your actions during flight actually matters (more than a flight report stating "That landing was too hard, some points that doesn't actually matter was deducted"), and that can in turn affect your flight by triggering certain failures or other events, then I would say XPax is not what you are looking for. Another thing that bugs me about XPax is that, while it gives you a passenger/cargo weight estimation, it is fairly useless since FS has to be running before you start XPax, and you generally want to have your flight planning (where estimated payload weight is an important aspect) done before you start the sim.I don't want to advertise another developers products on these forums, but I think I can tell you that a product similar to XPax was recently released. From what I've read, it's more of an in-depth simulation than XPax, but at the same time the interface doesn't seem as polished as XPax. I can't however say anything about the quality of the product, since I haven't had the time to test it yet.Also, it's possible that HiFi will add new features to XPax to make it more complex in the future. It's even possible that updates will come soon, since HiFi recently released another product.Only time will tell.

Well,I will be trying Xpax since I ordered it after reading the review. I then saw the "other" one that's when I posted to the forum. I did try the demo and my PIC 737 had structural failure at cruise alt.! I'll give XPAX a go and hope HiFi adds on to it. (Just got ASA)

Guest Temp

I also hope that HiFi Simulations make some kind of exciting changes to Xpax in the near future because I've actually got quite bored with it now to be honest. Sorry HiFi, no disrespect is meant at all. I do own and use ASX and Xgraphics which I love but having used Xpax a few times now I'm finding that it's not really immersive enough for me.