Sign in to follow this  

Asa And The Active Runway

I wonder how ASA works with or influences the active runway. I just started a flight at LFPG, loading the plane on the active runway. The wind was coming out of the east so I expected runway 9, but I ended up on runway 26... I turned ATIS on and indeed the runway should have been 9! Now of course this is simply solved by NOT loading a flight on the runway but at a gate and then listen to ATIS :( but my problem is that I would like to know the active runway of the dep and arrival airport before I start a flight. I thought simply (well...) starting a flight at the active runway would show me the right runway, but I was wrong... I have to listen to ATIS first. Anyway, I wonder why FSX and ASA don't put me on the right runway immediately. Are those active runways simply er... hardcoded in FSX and are they always the same?

Yes, and crosswind runways won't be active unless you have modified AFCADs installed (at least that is the way it has been explained to me).

Hi All,You need to let ASA process it's data and then it refreshes the AI system in FS. At that time the proper runways will be used. If you are already at a runway you will not by automatically moved. So yes, it is better to start at a gate.Thanks,

Guest tmetzinger
Hi All,You need to let ASA process it's data and then it refreshes the AI system in FS. At that time the proper runways will be used. If you are already at a runway you will not by automatically moved. So yes, it is better to start at a gate.Thanks,
see my wind bug report - the winds FS9 receives are NOT always the winds ASA is reporting.

Thanks! I should have thought of that: the ASA data is indeed completely loaded when the plane is loaded en NOT when FSX is simply started up. Okay then, from now on I'll start at the gates again. (I only started on the runway because I have been testing out the MD-11 and I didn't want to taxi all the time!)Hm, so maybe the quickest way to find out which runways are active on both airports, is to go to the destination airport first, let ASA load and then listen to ATIS, and then go to the departure airport (and probably you can go to the active runway in that case immediately!).