Sign in to follow this  
stabell

Must-be-adressed-at-once-list

Hello!I just bougt RC and have flown 5 trips in Europe so far.My frist impression is that it is much like Microsoft's ATC, with a more realistic touch. But it can be much better.It is really sad that all the thousands of ATC and pilot sounds you have spent so much time recording, is so unreal, soundwise.It is easy to hear when you have the ATC chatter enabled, to hear the difference when the ATC is contacting you...Really sad. What you should have done is to record all the items through a radio transmission:Hook up a AM airband radio (with a dummy load, making it transmit only inside the room), and record the items from an airband scanner in another room. This wayall transmissions would sound exactly like the real ones. Now, I can hear that you have used some kind of EQ to make it sound "radio",but it doesn't sound REAL. But now to the DO-AT-ONCE-LIST:* When the ATC give instructions to AI traffic, they answer at once. You must put in a delay between instructions and answer.It sounds silly with "XX123 turn right heading 240 roger heading 240, XX123"* You must find a way to give the pilot RWY in use at destination, before coming down to FL100 or less. In the real world one can make a plan from Top Of Descent or shortly afterwards.* You must find a way to make the pilot listen to the ATIS at destination without "approved, come back in four minutes.."* If all scenery is scanned by RC, how come most frequencies are wrong?Many of the TWR/DEP/GND frequencies seem to be taken out of nowhere, are they random?* This sentence "descent now, I need you level by.." is something someone has heard once on the airband radio? Never used in Europe in my 30 years of listening. Couldbe a nice touch to hear it once a year in RC, but every time is not good. Cut it.* Descending through FL100, the ATC tells me "QNH 1025". ATC will give the QNH at first altitude, not when you still are on a flight level.* When contacting TWR on the glideslope, the TWR tells me the wind.The TWR is supposed to give the wind when you are cleared to land, not before.* In Europe there is no such thing as WINDS, it is WIND. * When ATC gives instructions to AI, the AI is saying "turn right heading 250, ROGER, XXX123"."Taxi to the ramp, ROGER, XX123"Cut the "ROGER", or put it in the start of the read back.* several times it has happend the same thing as in Microsoft ATC: I'm told to contact X on 123.1 and I do.He says "ROGER", and in the same moment I am told to contact another frequency. You must put in a logic saying that if it has been less thanone minute (?) since last frequency change, dont change.* In three out of my five trips, I have gotten RWY in use from approach, and imidiately after ANOTHER runway. A glitch.So far, the end of MUST DO-list from me.(If this was a freeware program, this list wouldn't make sense, but it is a payware program which is supposed to be far better than the default ATC,so one can hope it will be adressed, to increase realism)Best regards,ATC-addict,Tore Stabell,Oslo,Norway

There are lots of positives about RC4 in my opinion.It is much more interactive than the basic FS ATC for a start.However I have to agree with the poster about some of the items in his list.I have raised some of the issues recently and JD has replied with his thoughts.The advance notification of the runway in use is one point,It's in the RC5 requests I think.I plan my descents from the AS6 weather as 60 miles out is too close for a jet at FL370.AI behaviour is a problem in this area.For me personally the sound of the FS9 ATC is better.It has a more realistic audio quality and sounds authentic(I fly in real world UK airspace and that is my experience)although RC4 is better in content by far.Yes in Europe anyway,the wind details are passed with the landing clearance .And the QNH is passed when approaching Transition Altitude.I never quite understood the NOTAM procedure either but I use it to avoid misleading altitude clearances.It does work.Try flying into Geneva from the south on a Banko 7 STAR without it enabled and you will end up on Mont Blanc.It is a work round I guess but it doesn't happen in Europe.ATCOs usually know where the aircraft are and know the altitude restrictions and issue instructions accordingly.Where they don't have much radar(e.g.Greece)pilots are told to use DME procedures and work from their plates.NOTAMS are issued for something else entirely.There will always be little niggles in a programme so complex but overall I reckon it's worth the money.And the suggested improvements in v5 seem to be worth paying for judging from what I have read in this forum.

4 days, 5 flights. did you find anything positive?
According to me RC4 is way far better and more realistic than MSFS default ATC.I don

Of course, but I didn't think it was any reason to say "everything works, thank you" ;)After all, this is a support forum, for a payware program. If someone released RC as a freeware program, one could say"very impressive addon, keep up the good work!".And this is version 4 of your program, and hopefully there will be a version 5, and my list of can-be-even-better should be looked into.Of course, if people encounters installation errors, BSOD's etc must be adressed first, but if the goal is tomake RC more realistic, you could corrrect the errors and the glitches I am talking about.Or you could of course say "no, this is what you get, we'll change nothing".My mistake was probably that I did not start my post with "thank you for a wonderful addon, it has given mehours of excitement. However...:"edit: There is one more thing: On Ground frequency xx, he says cleared to push and start, and contact ground on xx.. when ready for taxi.He tells me the frequency I'm allready on, it sounds like it is a new frequency. If it is the same frequency I'm supposed to call, then he would say"and call for taxi, or something".

Of course, but I didn't think it was any reason to say "everything works, thank you" ;)After all, this is a support forum, for a payware program. If someone released RC as a freeware program, one could say"very impressive addon, keep up the good work!".And this is version 4 of your program, and hopefully there will be a version 5, and my list of can-be-even-better should be looked into.Of course, if people encounters installation errors, BSOD's etc must be adressed first, but if the goal is tomake RC more realistic, you could corrrect the errors and the glitches I am talking about.Or you could of course say "no, this is what you get, we'll change nothing".My mistake was probably that I did not start my post with "thank you for a wonderful addon, it has given mehours of excitement. However...:"edit: There is one more thing: On Ground frequency xx, he says cleared to push and start, and contact ground on xx.. when ready for taxi.He tells me the frequency I'm allready on, it sounds like it is a new frequency. If it is the same frequency I'm supposed to call, then he would say"and call for taxi, or something".
i wouldn't consider any of them a show stopper. there are no plans to release any updates to version 4. your observations will be incorporated into v5.jd

i wouldn't consider any of them a show stopper. there are no plans to release any updates to version 4. your observations will be incorporated into v5.jd
"i wouldn't consider any of them a show stopper"I rest my case.

"i wouldn't consider any of them a show stopper"I rest my case.
"your observations will be incorporated into v5"jd