Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

Landing at Overlays

Guest oliverrichter

I've 8 overlays for EGLL (Heathrow) and all is working easy. But when I noticed the landings, the aircrafts parked at the wrong gates at the wrong overlay. How can I make, that the aircrafts park at their specific gates? Shell I cange any frequnces or names? Plase help if you have the same problem....Much thanks

Guest Captain Barfbag

The answer is that overlays don't work very well when the goal is to get arriving planes to go to the right terminal. When an aircraft arrives at an "airport," it contacts the "airport" whose position is closest to the aircraft's position. (I think this occurs at the point where you get the "contact ground" message, but I'm not sure.) The position of an airport is specified in AFCAD with the small pink cross.For an airport with parallel runways, this works OK if you assign one overlay to each runway, and place the position indicators near the runways such that all points on a given runway are always closest to a particular overlay's position. (This is one of those perpendicular-bisector problems from tenth-grade geometry, by the way.)Crossing runways present a problem. Geometrically, you can't guarantee that all points on a given runway will associate to the correct overlay, and it's even worse when you think about what wind shifts will do to you.Since you've done the work of creating 8 overlays for Heathrow, I hereby place your name in nomination as a candidate for RAFCAD. This system gets the planes where you want by assigning an appropriate size ("radius") to each gate and matching that with the radius of each aircraft. I still use overlays to make use of multiple runways, but at Heathrow I've only got a single overlay, using one runway for arrivals and another for departures. All the planes go where they should.So, hop the next flight to ProjectAI.com, and check out the RAFCAD information. It seems like a lot of work at first, but it really doesn't take that long to set up, and the results are far better than overlays.