Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lamal

Fsx And Nvidia 6600gt

Guest Lamal

Hi,Is it possible that my Nvidia Geforce 6600GT causes FS X into a BSOD when I'm flying the PMDG 747 or Level-D 767, due to some kind of overload? When using FS Xwith default aircraft and scenery, there are no problems.System specs:Intel Pentium 4; 3,20 GHz2GB DDR2 RAMWin XP Pro - SP3Nvidia GeForce 6600 GTThanks,

Complex and ultra realistic airliner addons for FSX (PMDG 747, MD-11, LDS767 etc) demand a great deal from your whole system (especially so the CPU) and in no way can they be compared to the default MS airliners. The BSOD is your system telling you that you are simply asking too much of it.I doubt that your BSOD is related directly to the 6600GT, even though this card is a bit underpowered for FSX. My first thought would be that you are hitting your virtual memory ceiling when using these complex airliners. Have you tried to significantly lower your autogen, scenery complexity, ai etc slider settings when flying the complex heavies? This will go a long way to alleviate the CPU workload and may well be enough to allow you to fly without BSOD'ing.But, in all honesty, this would be a good time to upgrade to something beefier, especially if you like your PMDG, LDS addons.Hope this helps.Konrad

Konrad

Guest Lamal

Thanks for the reply, As for the setting, I never exceed the Medium High level, except for traffic where I set it to Minimal. Even tried the settings Nvidia recommends for the 6600GT (http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ttpop_fsx.html) What do you mean with something beefier?Kind regards,Dries

The Pentium 4 you mention is an old single core CPU and an upgrade to a fast dual core (E8500/E8600) will do wonders for your FSX experience, especially so if you are able to overclock it a bit towards 4GHz. Your old processor is what is holding you back most of all. An 8800/9800 Nvidia graphics card paired up with the above mentioned dual core and you have yourself a winner! FSX runs best on GPU's with 512MB of RAM or more.Obviously you will need to check if your motherboard will support a new dual core and make sure you have a decent 550W minimum power supply.Otherwise keep coming down on those sliders some more. If you are not able to upgrade hardware then you may give some thought to perhaps sticking with FS9 for now - both PMDG's 747 and LDS' 767 have FS9 versions...

Konrad