Sign in to follow this  
largo222

Super 80 Pro

Folks ----- Anyone flying the captioned aircraft?? Is it worth the $ and what do you like or dislike about it. Thanks in advance for any comments. Largo222

Folks ----- Anyone flying the captioned aircraft?? Is it worth the $ and what do you like or dislike about it. Thanks in advance for any comments. Largo222
me too...ive also been considering this and have been looking for more info. From what i can figure out it seems that the super80 (analog panel) is not a true fsx plane where the super80Pro definately is. Id like to know more about how the navigation and fms works in the analog panel (i already know how an fmc and vnav/Lnav operate). Another point is that it would be an attractive deal to be able to get BOTH panels in 1 package...but as it stands now youd have to purchase both packages to try both panels and thats nearly $100 US I believe!Dave

I have both the Super80 and Super80 Pro and love them both.They are both extremely frame rate friendly despite being full featured add-ons and have a very active and swift, knowledgable support forum.The models and flight dynamics are accurate and there are a vast array of repaints available.Both aircraft are a challenge - the Super80 using the older ONS Navigation System and steam gauges, and the Super80 Pro using a glass cockpit and FMS. One of the best things about both aircraft is the inbuilt Cockpit Training System which guides you through checklists on screen rather than you having to wade through the manual (though a read of the manual is still recommended). There is plenty of information on their website.Super 80 WebsiteSuper 80 Pro Website

. From what i can figure out it seems that the super80 (analog panel) is not a true fsx plane where the super80Pro definately is.
Both are true FSX planes.

Actually the Super80 was ported from FS9 to FSX.The Super80Pro was designed for FSX from the start and is a true FSX plane.

Guest PPSFA

I have both, they are outstanding in all aspects

Ok. Thank you very much!!! I purchased it today. Looks great. Its going to take some time to master it. Boy a lot of thought by developer to put this package together. WISH ME LUCK!!.Thanks againLargo222

Guest -BeNt-

My friend you have just purchased one of the finest aircraft for FSX, and the better of the two MD-80's. I have the 80 and the pro and both are equally good, but I'm a fan of electronic cockpits and the pro is exactly that! The plane is absoulutely wonderful in every respect and supports Navigraph AIRAC updates which is a huge plus. Has a fully functional FMC, AP, and systems simulation and it very fun to hand fly and land. Wonderful plane, it's probably one of my favorites in my hangar.

Actually the Super80 was ported from FS9 to FSX.The Super80Pro was designed for FSX from the start and is a true FSX plane.
True, but mostly not true.The Super80 was a FS2004 product, but was reworked to be compliant with the FSX-SDK. This means that all of the source materials for the Super80 use 100% FSX-SDK techniques. In fact, the Super 80 was one of the first heavy-iron add-ons to make extensive use of all the newer repaint techniques. The Super80Pro was designed concurrently with FSX and also targets the FSX-SDK. The flight model is essentially the same between the two versions and the modifications to the visual model are not too extensive (the screw-driver tail cone is the most obvious change). The big difference with the Super80Pro is the glass cockpit and the FMS, which is modeled quite well.So, yes, while it is a port, in terms of reusing things like the 3D model and gauges, there were improvements made to the Super80 for the FSX model and it is every bit a "true" FSX product; at least according to ACES' definition of what constitutes a "true" FSX product.In any case, the Super80 and Super80Pro are AWESOME products and feel very professional; I feel they belong in every simmer's hangar. Personally, I'd rank the worthwhile jetliner addons for FSX thusly:PMDG's MD-11PMDG's 747-XF1/Coolsky's Super80ProF1/Coolsky's Super80LDS 763 for FSXNobody else has a product worthy of inclusion in this list. Of course you really want to put feelthere's stuff in the list, but when you get out the magnifying glass, the imperfections and shortcuts leap out at you; to be fair, they are getting better (the eJets are almost there).

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Dang...Avsim is costing me a fortune...gotta quit reading these forums.This MD-80 thread is a perfect example...oh, and the news item on the first page, almost forgot.If I hadn't read these, I wouldn't have just shelled out $50+ on yet another addon.Of course, I would have missed out on another spectacular simulated airplane...very, very nice. Very frame rate friendly, as has been pointed out.I've spent a bit of time up front in MD-80's, and the sounds from the Super80 Pro bring back memories. The boundary layer noise is an example...sounds like the real thing. Nice touch. Hmmm, maybe reading Avsim is not so bad. :-)Then again, looks like I've got more manuals to read....I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like there have been a lot of great addons coming out in the last several months, more so than usual. Perhaps that's expected leading up to Christmas. Whatever, I'm always amazed at what folks can put together for *relatively* very little money. I look at a piece of software and think, "How long would it take to put this together?" And my guess is usually many, many hours. Frankly, I can't see how anyone makes any money at it, though it appears that in many cases the passion to build it trumps the 'business case'. For us end users, addons like the this MD-80 seem like such a bargain when one considers what it takes to produce.Thanks for the positive posts on this product...add one more happy customer.Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

True, but mostly not true.PMDG's MD-11PMDG's 747-XF1/Coolsky's Super80ProF1/Coolsky's Super80LDS 763 for FSXNobody else has a product worthy of inclusion in this list.
Jeff - having owned the Super80 for two years and having tried the Pro when it came out - I reckon the LeonardoSH Maddog 2008 is the equal of either aircraft, and superior in terms of depth of functionality and realism. Almost every system component can be failed as in real life: bad timing and lack of concentration in monitoring egt during startup, for example, will certainly result in a hot start. The engine must then be cooled by running the start motor up to its' maximum speed, with you watching the temperature drop to below 90 before attempting a second try. Do something wrong, or forget something, and it will bite you. Almost all its other components - including the flight model - mirror the r/w aircraft, too. (This is an opinion I've gleaned from the many r/w airline crew members that fly the Maddog sim and are members of the forum). This was another thing which impressed me - there are a goodly number of r/w airline flight-deck members who subscribe to the Maddog forum. I haven't seen that in anywhere else. The VC graphics may not be as photo-realistic as the Super, but every switch/fuse/pushbutton works, and is in full 3D - not so with the Super. I think they are pretty much even in graphics quality - although one can set both graphics quality/performance and sound volume sliders for almost every part of the Maddog aircraft. Now - it does have a few "let-downs" where CoolSky/Flight1 scores heavily. 1). Flight1's download and purchasing system. It is unbeatable, while Leonardo's is down there along with Captain Sim. The download site link is sent manually. Manually!!! Only during normal working hours???? So if you buy it on Saturday morning you don't get it until you're home from work on Monday afternoon. Hmmmm. 2009? :( 2). Flight1/CoolSky forum support. Second to no-one. Again - one of the best in the sim-World. The developer presence on the CoolSky site is enviable. Not so with Leonardo. There are only one or two folk who always help out, but not to the same level that Espen, John Goodwin, Steve Halpern and CAL2177 provide. I get the strong feeling that If I didn't like the aircraft I would not be getting a refund anytime soon.... :( 3). Documentation and training. CoolSky simply has more, more readable and with better training. Flight1/CoolSky cares about the novice airline pilot and it shows. They go that "extra mile" :( Certainly, CoolSky/Flight1 has a fabulous aircraft in the Super80/80Pro, Jeff, but I (and I'll bet a few others) will vote for the Maddog for inclusion into your list in spite of my three major negatives, because it is very, very good.. B)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest -BeNt-

Well being an MD lover I got suckered, I use this term lightly, into purchasing the Maddog when the VC update came out. And it performed like a dog and I've never went back. I was please with what I saw just not with how it performed. Have they got a fix for the rather large performance issues yet? I guess its time to go check because I would like to give it another go sometime.

I was please with what I saw just not with how it performed. Have they got a fix for the rather large performance issues yet? I guess its time to go check because I would like to give it another go sometime.
There is no fix other than upping the processor. Yeah, it needs horsepower, BeNt, but that's configurable or manageable, one way or another - just like the OOM errors that the Super80 has. If you're running XP 32 bit with 2 gig of ram and your flight is over 1/2 hour the Super80 is going to ctd at some point. Most people know about this now, and how to fix it, but at first it was a support nightmare - and I still see posts about it. Likewise, when I first got the Maddog I had my issues, teething troubles, and there was a pretty steep learning curve just to get this one from Seattle to Portland in one piece - and I've been flying the Super80 for almost two years. In fact I went back and bought the Super80 Pro to see just how much improved it was over the classic version, fully intending to eat my Maddog money and stay with CoolSky, but and frankly, I didn't see enough difference to warrant the cost (also missed the discount coupon by a month - BIG turn-off), so I stuck with it, hit the books and asked the right questions on their forum, and I've fully switched to the Maddog now. My normal flight - SEA - PDX - begins with launching "Printscreen", followed by HiFlight's "XPax", then the Maddog Manager console, then ActiveSky Advanced (incredible!), then Kan Salter's "Alacrity to clean up the pc and launch TrackIR - then I launch FSX SP2 manually. With either the Super80 or the Maddog, this mix will load my pc down pretty good. I limit fps to 25 - I'm running 3840 x 1024 - TripleHead2Go - and she holds there, but I need water and all traffic to 0, autogen to 3/4, no bloom, most other performance/quality sliders to high or max. Smooth, with no stuttering, blurries (using nHancer). I was moderately happy with the Super80, and am very happy with the Maddog. What I do miss is airline traffic around the airport, but Seattle is a heavy go at the best of scenarios. You can't have everything.... yet. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest -BeNt-

Eck you need a tune. I have everything turned wide open with the except of water effects and traffic. AI traffic on 65% GA on 35% and water on 2x low, other than that everything is to the right, I've never had the 1/2 hour crash problem but then again I have never flown FSX without an FS-GS tune. I've also never had to tweak or "Study the books" to get my coolsky plane running correctly lol. All this on dual 22" 3360x1050(combined) monitors. Not to meantion I'm really soured by Leonardo anyways because I email him about my order, 6 days past purchase, asking for a refund since I never got a key and he get incredibly snippy ect. And I don't think you can get much better of a processor I have an e8400@ 3.6Ghz lol....every plane no matter the addon runs right at my 28FPS lock or right at it. The Maddog does until you go into the VC then it goes bonkers......I guess I may try reinstalling it and playing with some of the VC options and see what happens, because like I said it looks pretty nice and it's something different. I know last time I was in their forums asking for help with the plane to get better performance out of the VC I got a ton of rude answer, much to my dismay. People telling me an e8400 wasn't fast enough to run the plane.....at the time it was the second fastest Core2Duo that was available! Either way I had one guy finally get with me and tell me about tuning up the VC options or something along those lines, but by that time I was disgusted with the whole community over there and stayed over at the Coolsky forums ect. because people will actually help you and point you in the right direction. Plus Espen over there is awesome with getting with you via the forums, pms, or email to get any issue you may be having fixed. Awesome guys over there.(I think that just kinda carried on your point about the excellent vs. bad support lol)Both are fantastic A/C I guess, but personally the Super80 Pro just offers me more and it just works.

can someone please post a screenshot or 2 of the vc's panel backlighting (coolsky)...i do alot of nite flying and ive yet to see any screens that properly show this off (ive already see the offical screeenshots but they dont show panel backlighting, all i see is dome on/off and gauges lit)thanks,Dave