Sign in to follow this  
rodger

Most Surrealistic Approach And Landing

Hi everone,hope you all had a great Christmas time :) I don't post a lot in the forum, but I really had a weird flying experience today, and I thought I am going post it.Since I might be going to visit these places in 2009, I decided to take a trip from Dubai (OMDB) to Goa (VAGO) in India with my new Flight1 Citation Mustang which I think is a great aircraft and a real joy to fly. Ok, so I built a nice IFR flightplan with real weather and the help of ASA. Thats where I noticed some pilot reports for my route that I didn't understand, but remembered reading something about turbulences and some strong winds. As the weather was really nice with only a few clouds, I didn't really care...Had a great flight and everything was fine beside some turbulences but no big deal. But when I was approaching VAGO and was given a visual approach to RWY26 by ATC, I realized that the wind was 270 at 61kts! Well, I thought that it was a bit strong but at least no crosswind. And as I turned to lign up with the runway it really started to get weird, and I have never experienced anything like this before. The whole approach took me about 20 minutes or so, and as I got the landing clearence from the tower about 5miles out, it still took me nearly 10 minutes to touchdown! And I was stilll flying the Citation Mustang at 120kts IAS which showed me about 40kts ground speed! Amazing, I have never looked at a runway while approaching for such a long time :)) And then the touchdown. It felt like hovering an helicopter. Man, I thought landing the Ultra light is like a race horse.... Even taxiing at 90kts which was actually 15kts GS was quite challenging. But I really enjoyed it, and if you haven't done yet, try it. It's a lot of fun!Has anyone had a similar experience with the simulator or even in real life? Happy Flying,Rodger

And then there is the story that has been around the real aviation world since the 50's where a DC3 or C47 flew into a mountain pass with a headwind, and upon finding it to be a dead end, just backed out. Set up your weather and try that in the sim.

Art

RL once in an Arrow III... winds were 60kts around 6000ft. It was so cool to see the DME show a 180kt groundspeed. Light to moderate chop at best (or worst) but a fairly smooth ride.Winds at the surface were 25 w/gusts to 45. I thought no big deal as they were straight down the runway. Was I ever wrong. As we made the Visual Approach into Eagle Creek (KEYE) I listened to the Heavies call out 20kt loss of airspeed on final at KIND. It turned out to be a "Never Again" moment as it was one squirrely ride. Wind at that speed, I found out, does not flow smoothly over the earth. If I remember correctly, I flew in at 90kts with 25

Guest zonie

Great topic, as I work with a guy who used to work the tower at PHX until Uncle Ronnie fired him back in the eighties. He's told me on more than one occasion about a piper that was taking off during a rather strong dust storm. The pilot got as far as the tower before the winds actually drove him backward at around 5-10 kts. The pilot eventually managed to turn toward South Mountain and was able to pick up enough airspeed to continue on with his flight. :(