Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doug Moldenhauer

Questions Around Gauge And Dll Programming

Guest Doug Moldenhauer

Hi guys. I'll like to ask a few questions and request some guidance. You may have noticed from my other thread regardingAutopilot and Autothrottle controls that I was interested in trying to improve the responce and control of these systems.The Autothrottle has always been a slug as far as responce is concerned. I got board lastnight and I programmed a Autothrottle Speed hold PID. Currently its just running as a external application that talks to the sim via FSUIPC. TheCurrent responce after some initial tuneing has been pretty good. Its currently as good or better than the stock 737controller. I still have to develop setpoint rate change and I'd like to add feedforward so it will better control durringinitial climbs and decents. At this time there is still some under/overshoot durring a change to climb or decent, however it recovers much morequickly than the stock controller. I can tune to minimize this, however as you would expect, it is a bit nervous durringsteady state. This is why I'd like to add the addition of feedforward from the Pitch controller to give the Autothrottlea kick in the pants durring the transition from steady state to a climb or decent.This will require that I write a Pitch and Altitude controller, perhaps with LVL Change mode.My question is this, once I get all of this working, I'd like to add it to a aircraft that I've been playing around with. It isbased on the stock 737-800 but modified. I was wondering if anyone might offer their suggestions as to how I mightimplement in either a gauge or dll. I would like to use the stock 737 Autopilot panel and buttons, but steer the datato my controller. I currently use the knob on the 2d/3d panel to adjust the speed setpoint, I just dont turn on the stock autothrottle.Should this be a dll? If so, how would I get started. What information should I have to create a dll as I've never donethat for the simulator. I assume I will have to modify the current autopilot panel and have the mode buttons set myinternal variables. Where should I start to get information regarding that?Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance Doug

Programming a gauge or a DLL is exactly the same, because a gauge IS a DLL.The main difference I see here is that if you program it as a gauge, it will work only of the gauge is used in your aircraft panel because the gauge DLL will be loaded only when the panel is loaded, which is certainly what you want.If you program it as a DLL (I'd rather say "as a module"), it is loaded when FS2004/FSX starts and it is valid for all the aircrafts, it does not depend on the panel you use. This can be useful for general usage purpose but I don't think it is the right strategy for your throttle controller.BTW, I congratulate you for this hard work because I know how difficult it is. I have developed the same kind of PID for the Wilco Airbus Series :)Eric

Guest Doug Moldenhauer
Programming a gauge or a DLL is exactly the same, because a gauge IS a DLL.The main difference I see here is that if you program it as a gauge, it will work only of the gauge is used in your aircraft panel because the gauge DLL will be loaded only when the panel is loaded, which is certainly what you want.If you program it as a DLL (I'd rather say "as a module"), it is loaded when FS2004/FSX starts and it is valid for all the aircrafts, it does not depend on the panel you use. This can be useful for general usage purpose but I don't think it is the right strategy for your throttle controller.BTW, I congratulate you for this hard work because I know how difficult it is. I have developed the same kind of PID for the Wilco Airbus Series :)Eric
Rocky, thanks for the information. I'm going to continue tonight and get the rate controller for the Speed Setpoint programmed, and then start on the Pitch, Altitude, and Vertical Rate Controllers. Once that is completed, I should be able to implement the Feedforward from the Vertical Controllers into the Autothrottle Speed Controller.I think I'll continue as a standalone controller at this time to minimize some of the complexity and focus more on the engineering issues, as I don't know much about GAU programming at this time.. I'm sure once I get everything working properly, moving it over to a GAU should be fairly easy to do once I learn about GAU file details.Any other suggestions from your experience would be appreciated :)

Guest darrenecm
As Rocky says, C gauge files are indeed DLLs. The problem is that the gauges.h header file is somewhat archaic and convoluted, with the DLL code structure of the gauge code hidden behind a mass of Macros and pre-processor directives. This makes figuring out how the code is structured, works and interfaces with (I believe) panel.dll somewhat of a nightmare for those who are actually familiar with creating DLLs..well, at least I did ;)If you also code using Visual Studio 2005 or 2008, you will likely have to spend time wrestling the dated code generated by the gauges.h macros into an acceptable form using a lot of casting and other 'arm-twisting' methods to generate valid C++ code that these later versions of Visual Studio will not complain about.I'm hoping that in the next iteraration of Flight Simulator that the develeopment team revisit the gauges.h file and rewrite it so that those familiar with programming in C++ can avoid this macro psuedo-language, thereby getting back to a cleaner C++ syntax - it would make setting breakpoints and debugging a lot cleaner too.And while I'm at it could the development team please provide us with a gauge drawing surface that can be used from video card memory so we can make use of hardware acceleration for gauge graphics ;)

I agree with you Darren, I really hope MS will provide us a better gauge.h, more C++ oriented, and a way to use accelerated graphics for the gauges.But I don't fully agree with you about the macros in gauges.h. I think it is not so bad because it helps people to build a gauge without having to be an expert in DLL development. It was my case some years ago and I was very happy to find these macros ;-)Eric

Wow... I have zero issues using gauges.h in VS C++ unaltered.FYI, rendering to the card's memory is a waste of time. None of what we do gauge-wise requires that.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Doug Moldenhauer

Well I hope I don't have a real hard time trying to get a GAU file created. Don't laugh....but I'm using Visual C++ 6.0. That is what I used to use years back when I was writting code more often. I had Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008 dot net versions but I don't learn quite as fast as I used to as I'm gettingolder hahahhahahah :( I wrote some code with Visual Studio 2008 to exchange data back and forth with a Microcontroller I built via USB com, but that was the only application I've written in the dot Net code.I've been able to compile and run the MFC programs from FSUIPC but I havn't tried any gauge compiling from the SDK yet.

Wow... I have zero issues using gauges.h in VS C++ unaltered.FYI, rendering to the card's memory is a waste of time. None of what we do gauge-wise requires that.
Interesting point of view, Ed. So how do you think we can have gauges with accelerated graphics instead of GDI+ which is NOT accelerated?I think that replacing GDI+ with a faster (or an accelerated) library would greatly improve the frame rate of our aircrafts.Don't you think so?Eric

Well, first GDI+ is accelerated. Just not all of it.Replacing GDI+... sure.However, once again... rendering directly to the card's memory isn't going to do much for us.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Well, first GDI+ is accelerated. Just not all of it.Replacing GDI+... sure.However, once again... rendering directly to the card's memory isn't going to do much for us.
GDI+ is accelerated? Interesting, I didn't know this. In this case I wonder why it is so slow... But I don't work for Microsoft and I don't have access to the source code of GDI+, so I can't tell if GDI+ is accelerated or not. I really thought it was NOT accelerated, but I may be wrong here.Now about the renedering to card's memory, this may not be the right phrasing. What I mean here is that I would like to be able tu use the card's acceleration to draw gauge graphics. I can't believe my card is able to draw thousands of texture polygons per second and it is not able of drawing some anti-aliased lines and circles :)Eric

Guest darrenecm
It's not required certainly, but a drawing surface in video memory would mean instant hardware acceleration for anyone wishing to use an API capable of leveraging it. I'm sure during the lifetime of FSX there will also be even more graphically intensive glass cockpit technology arriving in the real world that many developers would like to implement in gauges.Sure today's gauges aren't really pushing things in terms of visual complexity, but isn't this due to the fact that everything is drawn by the CPU and anything more complex would drag framerates down to problematic levels? I'm, thinking of an Avidyne CMAX here. I'd contemtplate a gauge which shys away from the somewhat simplfied graphics of the default GPS graphics, interrogating the terrain and navdata in FSX's BGL files and having a custom rendering system taking this raw data and presenting it in a more realistic manner than the FSX map and GPS display rendering subsystem manages to do.I had OpenGL rendering working quite well in my first attempts with gauge rendering, but as you probably know, the gauge drawing surface is in system memory, so no hardware acceleration. I'm comfortable with OpenGL so leveraging this API and having a drawing surface allowing hardware acceleration would be useful...certainly not a waste of time in my view.I'm finding many GDI+ gauges taking too much of a slice of my framerates these days in FSX becaue I enjoy flying with plenty of weather and other traffic about. GDI+ gauges tend to make my framerates more erratic with the rate varying between +- 10 fps, whereas with something like the methods used by RealityXP gauges affecting my framerates less widldy with maybe +- 2 fps.
GDI+ is accelerated? Interesting, I didn't know this. In this case I wonder why it is so slow... But I don't work for Microsoft and I don't have access to the source code of GDI+, so I can't tell if GDI+ is accelerated or not. I really thought it was NOT accelerated, but I may be wrong here.Now about the renedering to card's memory, this may not be the right phrasing. What I mean here is that I would like to be able tu use the card's acceleration to draw gauge graphics. I can't believe my card is able to draw thousands of texture polygons per second and it is not able of drawing some anti-aliased lines and circles :)Eric
Sadly, the only way a GPU will accelerate any rendering is if the data being manipulated is directly in the memory of your video card and not in system memory. It's all down to the architecture of the GPU pipeline I believe.
Interesting. In my reading up on GDI+ I never encountered any topics that suggested GDI+ used acceleration to any useful degree and mostly this is reliant on a video card's 2D ecceleration capabilities, which vary wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer. 3D acceleration is much more widely accepted and all you need to do to get 2D graphics within a 3D accelerated card is ignore the Z dimension and render to screen coordinates.I'd certainly like any web-based information that could shed more details on where GDI+ is accelerated. I may take another look at GDI+.

Guest darrenecm
Interesting point of view, Ed. So how do you think we can have gauges with accelerated graphics instead of GDI+ which is NOT accelerated?I think that replacing GDI+ with a faster (or an accelerated) library would greatly improve the frame rate of our aircrafts.Don't you think so?Eric
The reason GDI+ is popular is because it's a clean, mature API with lots of features available - on the whole it really is an good general API. The only other option for greater speed is to write your own software rendering subsystem from scratch, which is no mean feat. Having a hardare accelerated drawing surface would provide superior speed to GDI+ by allowing equally mature and clean API's, such as OpenGL, to be used and gain the benefits of hardware accelerated performance automatically.I'm not experienced with GDI+ to be able to do detailed comparisons but I've always wondered if using OpenGL even without hardware acceleration would provide better software rendering performance than GDI+. Maybe there's somebody out there with experience of both API's who may be able to shed light on this?

If GDI+ is so slow... how did I get the new Eaglesoft Citation X v2 out the door with tons of GDI+ rendering?I think GDI+ has a bad reputation that's not 100% earned, and probably a great deal of myth.In the Eaglesoft Citation X v2 virtual cockpit there are probably around 25 or so gauges that utilize GDI+ for rendering. On my system (P4 3.4ghz) I can see a steady 24fps in the VC, over 40fps in the 2D... unless FS starts to hog CPU cycles for scenery loads... at which point, you have to realize it's the FS engine and not your gauge that's at fault.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest darrenecm
If GDI+ is so slow... how did I get the new Eaglesoft Citation X v2 out the door with tons of GDI+ rendering?I think GDI+ has a bad reputation that's not 100% earned, and probably a great deal of myth.In the Eaglesoft Citation X v2 virtual cockpit there are probably around 25 or so gauges that utilize GDI+ for rendering. On my system (P4 3.4ghz) I can see a steady 24fps in the VC, over 40fps in the 2D... unless FS starts to hog CPU cycles for scenery loads... at which point, you have to realize it's the FS engine and not your gauge that's at fault.
I agree somewhat that GDI+ does tend to get overly bashed as being too slow. It's plainly a viable rendering method but the downside of GDI+, as well as any other alternative software rendering engine (RealityXP's methods for example), is that the CPU is doing the rendering work ( as well as gauge logic processing). And with the demands the FSX's engine makes on the CPU for non-graphics stuff such as autogen, terrain loading, traffic, aerodynamics etc, whenever you have load spikes when this data is being streamed in and processed, it adversly affects the entire rendering speed of a software-based renderer.I guess in the end it all boils down to how much of a percentage of gauge-processing time is actually spent in the rendering portions of a gauge using software rendering. Have you Eaglesoft guys needed to do such measurements? If so what are your findings? With that data, we would all be in better position to debate the pro's and con's of GDI+ or other rendering alternatives.I really wish I had the time to know more about GDI+ (and gauge programming generally) to get to the point where I could write efficient rendering code and compare non-accelerated OpenGL rendering to GDI+. Only by measuring performance can we get a definitive view of things so until then, there's no justification for taking overly negative attitudes towards GDI+ or other rendering methods. All we can do is report on percieved effects on framerates due to gauges in-game, which is not at all entirely accurate due to demands on the CPU from all manner of directions.

Ed, I guess you are stronger than me in the usage of GDI+ because I made some tests and my conclusion is different.My Airbus uses 4 EFIS (PFD, ND, E/WD and SD) that are big and complex displays. When the EFIS are visible, the frame rate is around 35 FPS on my machine. When I hide the main panel (pressing Shift-1), the frame rate jumps up to 60 FPS, just because it is locked at 60. So my conclusion is that the GDI+ displays are rame rate killers, even if the usage of GDI+ is optimized.Eric