Sign in to follow this  
jc_150

Fsx Gold

Hi all in the forumI have fsx gold package and want to install it onto win.xp with service pack 3, all the information i can find says its a win vista platform. Does anyone know if this combination will work, as the supplier will not accept returns of software after the package seal has been broken. If it will work then I know I can buy the PMDG packages of 747 and MD11, hence why I posted here. (Did a search with no results)thanks in advance of any repliesJohn Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Hi all in the forumI have fsx gold package and want to install it onto win.xp with service pack 3, all the information i can find says its a win vista platform. Does anyone know if this combination will work, as the supplier will not accept returns of software after the package seal has been broken. If it will work then I know I can buy the PMDG packages of 747 and MD11, hence why I posted here. (Did a search with no results)thanks in advance of any repliesJohn Calleja
FSX runs very nicely on XP SP3, that's what I'm using. You can buy the 747 and MD11 at http://www.precisionmanuals.com/Tom

Thanks for the info guys. Will be ripping off the wrapper tomorrow and installing, then check the credit card and hopefully if there are not too many shocks, will purchase.John Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. Will be ripping off the wrapper tomorrow and installing, then check the credit card and hopefully if there are not too many shocks, will purchase.John Calleja
Are you completely new to FSX and flying...? In that case you better get familiar with the default FSX planes first, learn how to fly various planes (by hand) and how it all works (VFR, IFR, taking off, landing, etc. etc.). When you are comfortable with it all you might consider buying one of PMDG's planes. Don't want to prevent someone from buying great stuff, but the PMDG planes aren't really meant for beginners. But hey, maybe you are a real life pilot, I don't know. :(

At least if he does start with the PMDG planes before the default ones, he won't have strange ideas about how autopilots should work, and we won't see any "Waaaaaaaaaaah where is my garmin GPS?????" threads ;)-stefan

At least if he does start with the PMDG planes before the default ones, he won't have strange ideas about how autopilots should work, and we won't see any "Waaaaaaaaaaah where is my garmin GPS?????" threads ;)-stefan
:(

I reckon that armed with Tutorial 1 and PMDG's MD-11 even a complete beginner could get it from EGLL to LSZH, even if it does take a few goes. The MD-11's phenomenal level of automation makes it ideal for beginners. Then as you gain experience you can "take over" from the autopilot as and when you feel comfortable doing so. Pulling up to 11 deg when you hear "Rotate", going gear up and engaging the autopilot at 500 AGL is hardly rocket science...So my advice would be to perhaps start with PMDG's MD-11 as opposed to the 747 which takes a little more learning (but not much really). An updated tutorial set for the FSX747 would help but lets not go there shall we. "Precision Manuals...", hmmmm...I personally could not imagine spending ANY of my precious time on any of the default MS airliners but I am prepared to sacrifice as much time as needed with PMDG's airliners. I have both the 747 (with 350 hours) and the MD-11 (20 or so hours) and have not a single second on my log with any MS airliners. Simply couldn't be bothered...Konrad

Konrad

Hm, you've got a point, but what I meant to say was that learning how to fly takes quite some time. You can indeed do the tutorial, but without some knowledge (what's an ILS, NAV, ADF, ATIS, heading, course, VOR, etc.) you won't know what you are doing at all and you will probably get lost because nothing makes sense to you. Trying to do a flight on your own after the tutorial will be impossible in that case. And what then?I think it's better to learn the basics of flying with default planes (I was thinking about the Cessna and other GA aircraft btw) and when you know the terminology and so on you can go for the better planes. I think that for those who have been flying for a few years already it's quite hard to see how far you've progressed and how little newbies understand of 'easy tutorials'. Being able to do a tutorial is really something else than being able to understand it. And if you don't understand it, you won't be able to 'translate' it for your own use. All you can do is... fly that tutorial. Well, imho... :(And er... anyone here who knows a real life pilot who got his first flying lessons in a 747 or an MD-11, doing a flight from EGLL to LSZH...? :( :(

I think it's better to learn the basics of flying with default planes (I was thinking about the Cessna and other GA aircraft btw)
I generally agree but there are exception to this rule. If someone ever wants to fly in real life then I would recommend starting from a very well done yet simple GA aircraft like for example Flight1's Cessna 172. But if someone wants to be just a sim pilot he may start with MD-11 provided he will put a lot of effort in reading manuals and even venture outside to learn basics about ILS, VORs, ATC, aircraft systems, etc. It won't be easy but it is definitely possible if a person is patient and doesn't mind all this extra effort.

All good points and I agree that one MUST make an effort to get to grips with the relevant terminology and the very basics of aviation as soon as possible. The trick, though, is to figure out what is actually relevant for an airliner sim-pilot to know and here nothing is better than to actually do a "real-world" flight (MD-11 tutorial 1 for example) and you will pick up pretty quickly what is relevant and what you may need to source more information on. Then as you get bored of going from EGLL to LSZH you again need to know more things like SID's, STAR's and building flight plans... and so you go on and on until you're simulating engine failures and what not else! :( Aiming for real life pilot is something else entirely and here I agree with Michal all the way - start where just about every real world pilot does - with the (Flight1) Cessna 172.Konrad

Konrad