Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

250kts At 11000 Feet?

This has probably been asked before but a search didn't bring anything up - probably used the wrong keywords! :( Please explain why we have to be at 250 kts at a crossing restriction of 11000 feet when 10000 feet is the usual point at which this speed restriction comes into force (applied more rigourously in the US as I understand it).Iain Smith

This has probably been asked before but a search didn't bring anything up - probably used the wrong keywords! :( Please explain why we have to be at 250 kts at a crossing restriction of 11000 feet when 10000 feet is the usual point at which this speed restriction comes into force (applied more rigourously in the US as I understand it).Iain Smith
are you getting busted for flying 280 at 11000?if you cross at 11000 at 280, the next thing that is going to happen, is you're going to contact approach, who is going to give you an altitude below 10000. might be difficult to slow to 250 and make your first descent into approach.unless you are getting busted for it, i wouldn't worry about it too muchjd

Hi Iain,This particular crossing restriction with a speed requirement at 11,000ft will not always be imposed on you as you arrive. The RC controller has slowed you down early probably because of the runway in use and needs to get you down quick shortly afterwards. If the arrival runway requires you to 'overfly the field' and then make a U-turn to make the final approach in the opposite direction (lots of track miles), then RC would have probably not given a speed restriction - probably even kept you a little higher until passing the field to prevent conflicts with departing traffic climbing towards you.But also remember that the controller is there to control. If he wants you at 220kts passing 14000, then let it be. Better to pass behind another airplane rather than smack into the side of it right? :(Subs

are you getting busted for flying 280 at 11000?if you cross at 11000 at 280, the next thing that is going to happen, is you're going to contact approach, who is going to give you an altitude below 10000. might be difficult to slow to 250 and make your first descent into approach.unless you are getting busted for it, i wouldn't worry about it too muchjd
I thought they were saying to be at 250kts when reaching 11000 which was what puzzled me. I can understand 280kts for the reason you give jd and you're right - I only get busted below 10000.Iain Smith
But also remember that the controller is there to control. If he wants you at 220kts passing 14000, then let it be. Better to pass behind another airplane rather than smack into the side of it right? :(Subs
Yes fair point Subs. :( Iain