Sign in to follow this  
Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Two monitors interference: need help!

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi friends,i usually run FS2k2 using also a client (linked) PC for many utilities like FSMeteo, NAV3, Airport chart viewer and so on.The question: when both monitors are on (they are very close to each other) i can see a grey line that moves from top of the screen down on the client and from bottom of the screen up on the server.Someone told me it's a refresh rate related trouble; can anyone please tell me what i have to do?Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

Suggest you try moving the monitors further apart and see if the line persists, if not then it is interference between the monitors and the obvious solution is to move them away from each other.HTH

You could try making a metal shield from cardboard and aluminum foil wrapped around the card board. Take a jumper cable and clip it to a good ground source. Place the shield between the two monitors to see if it eliminates the interference.

Both distance and a "shield" will help to some degree but the best method is to use newer monitors which seem to emit lower levels or are better shielded. Otherwise, try to get them on as high a refresh rate as possible.David

the cheapest and easyest way is to put one or twoAT/ATX tower chasis sides between the monitors, (if you can and preffer to do so...)it works perfectly.....

The other posts are correct in suspecting monitor interference. One way to minimize noticing it is to try to come up with a common refresh rate for both monitors via the advanced video setup for your adapter properties. If that keeps the line from moving, you may not object.If you can not sync the two so that the line is stable and remains annoying, perhaps seperating the refresh rates by a wide margin might cause the line to move too quickly to be noticed without causing objectionable flicker.In addition, make sure the monitor video cords are not running parallel and in proximity to each other. If you have noise-suppression wrap around gadgets for the video cords that came with your monitors, make sure they are installed.Also consider putting a piece of grounded sheet metal between the two monitors without disturbing side vent air circulation. That is what is used for dual rack-mount monitors in TV stations. Both of your computers should have a common ground via a three-prong power strip connection to reduce interference of all items between the two.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi friends, and thanks a lot for suggestions.Will try first tweaking refresh rate of both monitors.BTW, can anyone suggest a specific utility for that? cannot find any of that kind in advanced video/monitor settings :-(Thanks againLuigi ;-)

Refresh is controlled by the advanced settings under your video card, not the monitor properties. Be sure to follow the screen instructions and back up if you get a scrambled or severly distorted image especially if using a higher refresh rate. It is a good idea to check you monitor specs for the max refresh rate at your desired resolution to insure your manually forced choice will not damage the monior electronics.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Thank you Ronzie,but it doesn't help: i'm unable to find that setting place you were talking about :-(Can you please explain that procedure step by step?Thanks a lotLuigi ;-)

What version of Windows are you running? I am only familiar with W98.For W98, W98SE, right click on the desktop background. Click in order: Settings, Advanced. Depending on your video adapter, some tabbed pages might show up. If one called Adapter shows up, select it. There should be a drop down window stating the refresh rate. Select it to display other choices and select one to test. Before you change it, note what the current selection is so you can go back to it if necessary.After selecting the new refresh rate, a warning will come up asking if it is OK to test it. Select OK. Your screen will flicker and go to the new mode. A dialog box will open asking you if you want to keeo this setting. If you do nothing, it will return to the previous setting. If you see nothing after the test starts, do nothing and it will return to the previous setting. Do not click the mouse if you see nothing or it is scrambled. If you see the video and it looks good, click on Yes to save the new settings.If you accidently keep a setting that results in scrambled video, you can reboot Windows in safe mode (hit the F5 key when Windows starts) as an emergency and follow the procedure above to select your former settings. Then reboot Windows again to come up in Normal mode.You may have to do some minor size and position tweaking after changing the refresh rate, either in your software (same way to get to the settings) or your monitor menu on the monitor itself if you don't have size controls on it. In addition, your brightness settings may change somewhat.Also, if you have a good bit of compression on one side of the display after readjusting size and position, do not use the new refresh but try another. Compression (or fold-over)indicates you are running beyond the limits of your hardware.Lastly, not all refresh rates support all resolutions, so in the settings box after a refresh increase, you may see a decrease in resolution options. Check you monitor manual for the maximum resolutions supported at different refresh rates.Any thing that differs from what I described varies depending on your Windows version, you video card, and its driver versions.Since hardware may be damaged by these procedures, it would be to your advantage to have someone familiar with these procedures locally to assist you. I can not accept responsibility for any damage you might that might occur as you try different adjustments or might occur operating out of the monitor design limits over a longer term.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Finally i've been able to find refresh rate setting page (couldn't see anything before because didn't make a proper monitor selection :-(So i decided to set my client monitor (Philips 105S) to optimal value and set server monitor (Philips 17B) to 75MHz; and finally i got rid of that horrible grey band crossing my screen.Now i hope my old good 17" monitor won't explode!Thanks a lot for helpingcheersLuigi ;-)