Sign in to follow this  
claviermichel

Real Environment Extreme

Hi Folks,Can you tell which of Real Environment extreme and Active Sky Advanced is better. I have seen very realistic skies in Real Environment Extreme with minimal FPS drop. Active sky advanced seem to have a better integration with other add-ons such as FSBuild. I am wondering which one of the two is more realistic and what are the drawbacks if any in each of these programs.Looking forward to your comments.

Hi Folks,Can you tell which of Real Environment extreme and Active Sky Advanced is better. I have seen very realistic skies in Real Environment Extreme with minimal FPS drop. Active sky advanced seem to have a better integration with other add-ons such as FSBuild. I am wondering which one of the two is more realistic and what are the drawbacks if any in each of these programs.Looking forward to your comments.
I have them both. REX weather engine seems decent, it has very limited controls, and you have to go through a few steps prior to running FSX that are a bit lengthy. It takes a long time to load in the weather IMO.ASA, has very in depth weather controls, doesn't take as much time to load, and is working great for me. After getting ASA im quite sure it is the best there is, weather engine-wise, at this moment.

You do know, I hope, ASA is ONLY a weather engine (generator)?!? It doesn't come with any textures to make it all look pretty! If you only buy ASA, it will use the default FSX textures to render the clouds and so on. REX on the other hand is mainly a texture program, giving you better looking clouds and water and skies (similar to FEX btw), but REX also comes with a weather engine as a bonus. REX is cheaper than ASA while it offers a LOT more, but that also makes it clear the REX weather engine isn't of the same quality as the ASA one is. Quite a few people own both ASA and REX: ASA for the weather and REX for the textures. I own ASA and FEX btw: I still don't know if the REX textures are really that much better or different than the FEX textures.BTW ASA and REX are both quite new so they still have their problems.

Ok, now I understand the msin focus of each program one is a texture enhancer with a weather data generator and the other is a weather engine highly developed. One question if I may, Can you use ASA for accurate weather and REX for texture at the same time. How does it work? I mean how do you feed REX with ASA weather datas to generate the appropriate textures? Obviously if this can be done you can get the best out of to worlds.

Ok, now I understand the msin focus of each program one is a texture enhancer with a weather data generator and the other is a weather engine highly developed. One question if I may, Can you use ASA for accurate weather and REX for texture at the same time. How does it work? I mean how do you feed REX with ASA weather datas to generate the appropriate textures? Obviously if this can be done you can get the best out of to worlds.
That is the way I have it configured. Basically just install your preferred textures via the REX setup menu, then just run ASA - that simple. Pick your airport and your off flying.

That is the way I have it configured. Basically just install your preferred textures via the REX setup menu, then just run ASA - that simple. Pick your airport and your off flying.
I bought both last week. As mentioned, ASA has NO textures but will load REX textures for you if you set it up that way. ASA alone will not enhance the "look" of FS at all. The REX weather engine is horrible. I set up a test flight last week (actual METAR weather was snow, 1 degree C, and 29.86) and ASA and FSX weather both depicted it correctly. REX had no precip, temp was correct, winds were correct but altimeter was default 29.92. Also, winds aloft were wrong. There is also no way to get a METAR from REX. You have to guess what destination and enroute weather are unless you have a flight plan. The planner in REX is horrible and basic. ASA is a mess. While it is the most realisitc depiction of FSX weather it is plagued by plane-destoying wind shifts. On a trip where ALL winds enroute were 240/90 at all stations the winds would shift from 090/90 (where that came from, who knows) to 240/90... a 180 knot shear! Needless to say that wreaks havoc on a flight. So I tried the flight again with the FSX real-time weather and got ZERO winds aloft. So, ASA is the best choice out there. And, being an ActiveSky user since the very first version, I am confident Damien and Jim will get it sorted out. Anyway, short review - ASA is the best weather generator currently available and REX textures are nothing short of amazing. You need both. :( EddieKABQ

Eddie
KABQ

Here's a thread by Mango with some interesting REX vs ASA images....http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=7676.0
Doesn't make sense - they are two different products - you can NOT say REX VS ASA. That's like saying butter vs car - makes no sense.edit: Sorry keep forgeting that REX has a basic weather engine along with the textures.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Doesn't make sense - they are two different products - you can NOT say REX VS ASA. That's like saying butter vs car - makes no sense.edit: Sorry keep forgeting that REX has a basic weather engine along with the textures.
Basic ? As far as i can see it does it's job VERY well to say the least. And SP1 will bring some nice surprises regarding UI functionality. ASA is an excellent addon, no question. But for the first time there is some serious competition coming along with excellent textures. That's a good thing for the user, isn't it ?

Folks I need your help. How can I make REX use ASX or ASA weather engine automatically instead of using REX weather engine. From REX GUI I cannot see any spot where I could connect REX to ASX or ASA. Can you please guide me on this.Thanks

Folks I need your help. How can I make REX use ASX or ASA weather engine automatically instead of using REX weather engine. From REX GUI I cannot see any spot where I could connect REX to ASX or ASA. Can you please guide me on this.Thanks
You need to configure REX to STOP using its own Weather Engine by UNCHECKING the appropriate boxes in the configure option page.Then just activate the Active Sky weather engine the same as you would if you were not using REX.BTW, once you have installed the REX textures you want, there is no need to have REX running... just close the program.

WAT1460.png

Just a thought, but what's wrong with using Active Sky's XGraphics to provide cloud textures? Or am I missing something?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Just a thought, but what's wrong with using Active Sky's XGraphics to provide cloud textures? Or am I missing something?
The XGraphics are not included with the Active Sky weather product. If they are not bought at the time of purchase of Active Sky, the textures cost another $34.99.Also I don't believe the XGraphic clouds contain the 4096 textures that one gets with FEX and REX. Just different choices for different tastes and the amount of money to spend :(

WAT1460.png

Guest sillyeagle
Nice attempt at belittling the excellent weather engine in REX. :( Of course such a comment comes from a HiFi tester. lol As far as Mango's pics go, REX is displaying a sky that looks much nicer in those examples.

Nice attempt at belittling the excellent weather engine in REX. :( Of course such a comment comes from a HiFi tester. lol As far as Mango's pics go, REX is displaying a sky that looks much nicer in those examples.
Vgbaron's comment was not belittling REX.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3