Well, I found a solution for my oom problem. After taking off, reduce autogen to 0 and that will do the trick. ASA seems to keep autogen in memory and keeps adding to it. I'm not a computer expert so that's just my opinion. At 28K feet, I don't miss it very much :( Mark

Well, I found a solution for my oom problem. After taking off, reduce autogen to 0 and that will do the trick. ASA seems to keep autogen in memory and keeps adding to it. I'm not a computer expert so that's just my opinion. At 28K feet, I don't miss it very much :( Mark
Thanks, but I would not cal that a solution, simply a 'work around'. I'm sure the HiFi guys will get a solution worked out.

Doesn't the autogen automatically phase out once you're above 8000 feet or so anyways?

Reducing anything that uses memory might reduce the OOM errors but it doesn't address the 'cause' of the error. That's what Damian and others are working on and I feel sure will have a solution very soon.I may be prejudiced but you're looking at the best technical support and follow up in the business, IMHO.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Doesn't the autogen automatically phase out once you're above 8000 feet or so anyways?
That's what I thought but my tests proved differently. See my post under 'Important Notice'.On my machine, it appears that ASA handles autogen differently. How and why is beyond me.

Guest firehawk44
Reducing anything that uses memory might reduce the OOM errors but it doesn't address the 'cause' of the error. That's what Damian and others are working on and I feel sure will have a solution very soon.I may be prejudiced but you're looking at the best technical support and follow up in the business, IMHO.Vic
I apologize for butting in but ASA/ASX or anything HiFi developed is NOT the cause of OOM's. It's a well-known problem in FSX and there are a lot of "workarounds". OOM's occurred way before ASA/ASX was ever released. Every machine is different in managing memory based mostly on components installed and whether or not all the latest Microsoft "hotfixes" are installed. You have to have FSX SP2 installed too as Microsoft issued a new FSX.exe which will allow FSX to "see" more than 2GB of memory (earlier versions of FSX would not). There are several threads on OOM's in the FSX Forum on Avsim. Just do a search for OOM and you'll find several solutions. For me? I have a high powered system with a lot of components (2 high powered video cards to start with). They take up a lot of memory space on my system. Within FSX, I have turned off autogen as I don't really care for it. I have basically set all my scenery sliders to the default (the settings when I first installed FSX) but have messed around with the mesh and texture resolution sliders. I can immediately get an OOM if I move the top scenery slider to large (LOD) (or the "display driver has stopped responding and has restarted again error). My graphics are absolutely clear and stunning with these reduced settings. I also have UT and GEX installed. Whenever you're flying a payware aircraft, with ASA engaged, AI sliders up higher than normal (the default) and graphic settings high, and maybe XPAX running too, you're asking for disaster to strike. Since upgrading to ASA I have not suffered any OOM's and I have not heard many others having this problem either. If it was the fault of HiFi development, we'd see a whole lot of posts here complaining about OOM crashes. Many are upgrading their systems to the 64bit OS which does not have the OOM issue since it uses more than 4GB of memory. But that OS still has to be properly configured to handle FSX. That might be a better solution for those getting this error.Lastly, I agree with you, you're looking at the best tech support from any FS developer!Best regards,Jim Young

Well, I'll tell'ya. I have been running consistently with 1.5+/- GB of RAM to spare when flying in FS, with many add-ons and complex aircraft. I know because I've checked my usage once in a while.This is/these are the first OOM error(s) I have had in many many months. The only thing different? Using ASA. I believe I speak for several others as well.I'm sure it will be resolved.

Well, I'll tell'ya. I have been running consistently with 1.5+/- GB of RAM to spare when flying in FS, with many add-ons and complex aircraft. I know because I've checked my usage once in a while.This is/these are the first OOM error(s) I have had in many many months. The only thing different? Using ASA. I believe I speak for several others as well.I'm sure it will be resolved.
Me too. Works pretty good however with AG disabled except for take off and landing.I'm sure it will be fixed eventually, given the level of service I've experienced from HiFi.

I apologize for butting in but ASA/ASX or anything HiFi developed is NOT the cause of OOM's.
Jim, While your points are generally correct, there is a steady stream of us walking in all reporting the same problem. I believe HiFi have identified something on their end that they believe may be causing the issue with some of us. The ASA process grows and shrinks considerably while download and synthesis is happening on my machine, but that isn't what kills it... what kills it is *something* that, for several of us, happens about an hour into flight.Basic experimentation suggests that the most recent stimulus, controlling or barring other factors, is causing some of us to crash - that recent stimulus is the introduction of ASA into the equation. It is a bit too absolute to say that ASA is not a key contributing cause to the effect we are seeing.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Jim, While your points are generally correct, there is a steady stream of us walking in all reporting the same problem. I believe HiFi have identified something on their end that they believe may be causing the issue with some of us. The ASA process grows and shrinks considerably while download and synthesis is happening on my machine, but that isn't what kills it... what kills it is *something* that, for several of us, happens about an hour into flight.Basic experimentation suggests that the most recent stimulus, controlling or barring other factors, is causing some of us to crash - that recent stimulus is the introduction of ASA into the equation. It is a bit too absolute to say that ASA is not a key contributing cause to the effect we are seeing.
Hey Jeff-You are correct. I made the trip from KSEA to KLAX twice with both ASA and stock weather and you can watch and see in Task Manager memory increasing from about a 1.65 baseline at KSEA in ASA to 2.23 just outside KLAX where it crashes my system, unless you have AG set to 0 where it becomes a non-issue.

Guest RET_1935
I apologize for butting in but ASA/ASX or anything HiFi developed is NOT the cause of OOM's. It's a well-known problem in FSX and there are a lot of "workarounds". OOM's occurred way before ASA/ASX was ever released. Every machine is different in managing memory based mostly on components installed and whether or not all the latest Microsoft "hotfixes" are installed. You have to have FSX SP2 installed too as Microsoft issued a new FSX.exe which will allow FSX to "see" more than 2GB of memory (earlier versions of FSX would not). There are several threads on OOM's in the FSX Forum on Avsim. Just do a search for OOM and you'll find several solutions. For me? I have a high powered system with a lot of components (2 high powered video cards to start with). They take up a lot of memory space on my system. Within FSX, I have turned off autogen as I don't really care for it. I have basically set all my scenery sliders to the default (the settings when I first installed FSX) but have messed around with the mesh and texture resolution sliders. I can immediately get an OOM if I move the top scenery slider to large (LOD) (or the "display driver has stopped responding and has restarted again error). My graphics are absolutely clear and stunning with these reduced settings. I also have UT and GEX installed. Whenever you're flying a payware aircraft, with ASA engaged, AI sliders up higher than normal (the default) and graphic settings high, and maybe XPAX running too, you're asking for disaster to strike. Since upgrading to ASA I have not suffered any OOM's and I have not heard many others having this problem either. If it was the fault of HiFi development, we'd see a whole lot of posts here complaining about OOM crashes. Many are upgrading their systems to the 64bit OS which does not have the OOM issue since it uses more than 4GB of memory. But that OS still has to be properly configured to handle FSX. That might be a better solution for those getting this error.Lastly, I agree with you, you're looking at the best tech support from any FS developer!Best regards,Jim Young
I have vista 64 and 4 gigs of DDR3 ram on a properly configured FSX machine, I have never experienced an OOM issue since making the switch from Vista 32bit until now. I fly daily and my two OOM errors have both come in the last week after installing ASA. Hmmmm??

Guest firehawk44
It is difficult for me to understand the number of OOM type crashes some of you have had since installing ASA (or any weather program). I have been flying with ASA enabled using payware aircraft everyday since ASA was released and I have yet to suffer an OOM. Most of my flights are from LAX-SFO and they take more than an hour to complete. Everyone who responded to my earlier post (or will respond to this post): I feel your pain! However, how come I'm not getting these crashes? Did HiFi give me the only good copy of ASA and screwed everyone else? If HiFi messed up the code in ASA, then I would think everyone would be getting these crashes. They are not. Just a few of you. Some of you have stated that if you uninstall ASA or an earlier version of this program, the OOM crashes stop. Install the program and the crashes begin again. Well... yes. Any weather program, even the default (when configured to use real world weather) places more stress on FSX and your computer system and will cause OOM's. The more intense the weather, the more stress placed on your system. Look at your weather settings in the FSX.cfg. Are they set to higher settings than the default? For instance, look at your visual settings. If they are set higher than 60 miles for drawing clouds, reduce the setting. You don't need anything higher than 60 (actually I think you can lower this setting even more to 50 miles in the FSX.cfg file). Turn off thermal visualizations, tick detailed clouds with maximum cloud coverage density. Untick download winds aloft data and disable turbulence and thermal effects and place the rate at which weather changes to medium. Now these settings are considered to be "Ultra High" but they aren't the max. Turn down some of your scenery sliders and turn down the traffic AI settings a little too until you have a good compromise with good graphics and NO crashes. If you don't like the graphics and/or you keep getting OOM's, then you haven't tweaked your system AND FSX properly. Keep trying. There are many within the AVSIM community who have provided excellent suggestions on properly configuring your system/FSX. One is Nick Needham, the developer of GEX, who is also known as NickN on the forums in AVSIM. Do a search for NickN and look at some of his excellent suggestions. If you have a 64bit system, you are NOT totally safe from getting OOM errors and you have to do a little compromising with your FSX settings too, especially if you do not have the latest and greatest computer technology. Again, make sure your computer system is up-to-date with the latest OS updates and latest drivers (a bad install of a video card or sound card driver can cause major OOM problems too!). Check out some of the performance tips and tweaks you can do to your system at the following website: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2238. I particularly like Tip 35: Force 32-bit Windows Vista to use all your memory by enabling PAE. So, while you're waiting for HiFi techs to "fix" your OOM problems, you can be checking out my suggestions. I hope everyone understands that I'm trying to help you resolve your problem yourself and not trying to belittle or cause problems with the community. I hope these suggestions help some of you. Happy New Year!Respectfully,Jim Young

It is difficult for me to understand the number of OOM type crashes some of you have had since installing ASA (or any weather program). I have been flying with ASA enabled using payware aircraft everyday since ASA was released and I have yet to suffer an OOM. Most of my flights are from LAX-SFO and they take more than an hour to complete. Everyone who responded to my earlier post (or will respond to this post): I feel your pain! However, how come I'm not getting these crashes? Did HiFi give me the only good copy of ASA and screwed everyone else? If HiFi messed up the code in ASA, then I would think everyone would be getting these crashes. They are not. Just a few of you.
I have returned to using ASX only for the time being, I have not experienced a OOM error yet. Same computer, same settings, same programs, same.....

It is difficult for me to understand the number of OOM type crashes some of you have had since installing ASA (or any weather program). I have been flying with ASA enabled using payware aircraft everyday since ASA was released and I have yet to suffer an OOM. Most of my flights are from LAX-SFO and they take more than an hour to complete. Everyone who responded to my earlier post (or will respond to this post): I feel your pain! However, how come I'm not getting these crashes? Did HiFi give me the only good copy of ASA and screwed everyone else? If HiFi messed up the code in ASA, then I would think everyone would be getting these crashes. They are not. Just a few of you. Some of you have stated that if you uninstall ASA or an earlier version of this program, the OOM crashes stop. Install the program and the crashes begin again. Well... yes. Any weather program, even the default (when configured to use real world weather) places more stress on FSX and your computer system and will cause OOM's. The more intense the weather, the more stress placed on your system. Look at your weather settings in the FSX.cfg. Are they set to higher settings than the default? For instance, look at your visual settings. If they are set higher than 60 miles for drawing clouds, reduce the setting. You don't need anything higher than 60 (actually I think you can lower this setting even more to 50 miles in the FSX.cfg file). Turn off thermal visualizations, tick detailed clouds with maximum cloud coverage density. Untick download winds aloft data and disable turbulence and thermal effects and place the rate at which weather changes to medium. Now these settings are considered to be "Ultra High" but they aren't the max. Turn down some of your scenery sliders and turn down the traffic AI settings a little too until you have a good compromise with good graphics and NO crashes. If you don't like the graphics and/or you keep getting OOM's, then you haven't tweaked your system AND FSX properly. Keep trying. There are many within the AVSIM community who have provided excellent suggestions on properly configuring your system/FSX. One is Nick Needham, the developer of GEX, who is also known as NickN on the forums in AVSIM. Do a search for NickN and look at some of his excellent suggestions. If you have a 64bit system, you are NOT totally safe from getting OOM errors and you have to do a little compromising with your FSX settings too, especially if you do not have the latest and greatest computer technology. Again, make sure your computer system is up-to-date with the latest OS updates and latest drivers (a bad install of a video card or sound card driver can cause major OOM problems too!). Check out some of the performance tips and tweaks you can do to your system at the following website: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2238. I particularly like Tip 35: Force 32-bit Windows Vista to use all your memory by enabling PAE. So, while you're waiting for HiFi techs to "fix" your OOM problems, you can be checking out my suggestions. I hope everyone understands that I'm trying to help you resolve your problem yourself and not trying to belittle or cause problems with the community. I hope these suggestions help some of you. Happy New Year!Respectfully,Jim Young
Hi Jim-I'm an experienced simmer and built my current machine. All tweaks mentioned above have been done quite some time ago, including userva at both 2048 and 2560. I've never flown any version of FS with the sliders above medium and AG at sparse, which is why I've never had an oom on any machine flying FS ever. HiFi will identify and fix the oom that me and others have been experiencing. BTW, if you're not flying 1 hour+ with ASA, you're never going to see an oom which may explain why many others may not have this problem.Thanks for your help anyway.Mark

Guest ashwath

hi jim, whats the point in reducing settings and flying in order to make use of another add on software work properly???? makes no sense....a computer that has been performing flawlessly till now, but has suddenly started giving problems because of ASA clearly indicates that the problem lies with ASA. Y should anybody on Earth compromise FSX settings to take advantage of ASA??? it is upto the software developers to make sure that their software is compatible on every system in the world. and thats y they mention the minimum and recommended system requirements. not ask the users to turn down their graphical settings. example, myself. i have a monster machine that can run the latest games today (including FSX) without a hitch (do not want to give out specifics). OOM only occurred after installing ASA and 1 hour into flight. if u say u've not been getting these errors try flying with all settings in ultra high and running ASA simultaneously and then report back. thanks.Ashwath.