Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Bill Grabowski Panel Need To Find The Sounds....

Hello AllIn the last few days i have been flying various ERJs (dreamwings)to this plane I have added the very detailed and fine panel by Bill Grabowski.My question does anybody no where I can find the WAVs that make up the panels sounds.I searched the main fs sound folder,the FSconv folder where the panel resides and everwhere else that i could think of ,but with no joy. I would like to edit some of the panel sounds to reduce the volume particularly the altitude alert which is very loud and nerve jangling.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Guest JollyRoger

Hi AndyI use Bill's great panel with POSKY's ERJ-145 and also asked myself where the sound files had been installed. The answer is: nowhere! :( You won't find any .wav files. They must be included in the gauge files somehow... Perhaps you could extract the .cab files and see if they are there but I'm not an expert in panel design. Maybe someone can tell us how this is possible because I've never seen that before.GreetsJ.R.

Yeah, it seems most of those annoying panel sounds are in fact compiled right into "ERJ.gau". You may be able to use Reshack to modify or delete the particular sound(s) you find offensive however. Google Reshack and you'll find some download links, it's freeware.I haven't tried to modify or delete any of the sounds, but I managed to modify that Times New Roman font "ERJ-145" bitmap that displays on the panel brow using a more futuristic font to better match the one on the VC panel. You have to open the gauge in Reshack and you'll see where each "1033" folder thingy under Sound is an individual .wav and there's a button to preview the sound. Keep previewing sounds until you find the offensive one. You'll find some options under "Action" from reshack's menu that may allow you to extract the .wav and edit it or maybe just replace it with another silent .wav file. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't tried to modify a sound rescource, but have had success modifying a number of gauge .bmps in this manner. Good luck & Happy New Year,Jim

Thanks JimI will try the Reshack program and have a tinker.Give me something to do.Its cold grey and ******miserable weather here.cheers to alland good luck for 2009AndyPS Jim I am getting the hang of the panel now,and particularly like the auto climb feature that instead of using the usual VS adjusts your rate of climb to reflect your airspeed.I don't know weather I have missed something but I must check out some other aircraft panels to see if this feature is available as well.PPS I know UK winters are nothing like you guys get in the States but I can't wait till the spring comes and those textures in FS return to green. :(

Thanks JimI will try the Reshack program and have a tinker.Give me something to do.Its cold grey and ******miserable weather here.cheers to alland good luck for 2009AndyPS Jim I am getting the hang of the panel now,and particularly like the auto climb feature that instead of using the usual VS adjusts your rate of climb to reflect your airspeed.I don't know weather I have missed something but I must check out some other aircraft panels to see if this feature is available as well.PPS I know UK winters are nothing like you guys get in the States but I can't wait till the spring comes and those textures in FS return to green. :(
Hello I have been using Reshack and have managed to locate the offending ALT warning,but as yet i can't seem to edit it to reduce the volume.cheers Andy

Hi Andy, I just had a go at it myself and I think you can get the job done using the built in Windows sound recorder.In reshack I found the sound (6065 is the one I edited, not sure if that one is actually the ALT alerter but it was annoying so I chose to modify it anyway) and after previewing it I clicked "Action > Save [sOUND : 6065 : 1033]...", saving it to a temp folder as alt_horn.wav.Next (I'm running XP, your results may vary) from "Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment" I opened up the Sound Recorder. From the file menu in Sound Recorder I opened the newly extracted alt_horn.wav, then used "Effects > Decrease Volume" on it a couple times. You can play the sound in Sound Recorder to preview the volume change. When happy just save it.Fire up ResHack again and open the ERJ.gau. Use "Action > Replace other Rescource..." and browse the temp folder and select the modified alt_horn.wav. Then you have to specify what you're trying to replace, i.e. Rescource Type: SOUND, Rescource Name: 6065, Rescource Language: 1033 (see screenshot). Then "File > Save" the ERJ.gau and the annoyance should be gone. I think ResHack automatically makes a backup of the original ERJ.gau, or at least I have an "ERJ_original.gau" in my panel folder after the modification, but of course it never hurts to manually back up the original .gau before messing with it. I haven't tested the modified .gau in the sim yet but will shortly.JimPS, I mentioned in another thread about finally returning home last Sunday, however I didn't actually make it home until late Tuesday afternoon after about 7 1/2 hrs of "snow-blowing". Some actuator went haywire on my pickup rendering the 4WD useless and it seems a popular part this time of year as I still haven't managed to aquire one from any of the local parts suppliers. One shop mentioned they had replaced something like 9 of the damn things in the past week. I got in with 2WD after removing about 10" of snow that had accumulated since Sun the 21st, but it's frickin snowing hard again right now so I'll probably have to clean out the driveway once more before I can make it to work tomorrow. Shucks, I might not even be able to get out till Monday :( .I've been lucky though as we haven't gotten half the snow up here in the Idaho panhandle that they've been getting further South in the cities of Coeur d' Alene (KCOE) and Spokane, Washington (KGEG). It said on the news that the city of Spokane was spending $90,000 a day on snow removal and they've commissioned several of the large industrial snow blowers from Fairchild AFB, through an official state of emergency, to come and help clean out the streets. All I can say is "B777-200, KSEA > PHNL, FL340", I'm outta here :( .

Hi Andy, I just had a go at it myself and I think you can get the job done using the built in Windows sound recorder.In reshack I found the sound (6065 is the one I edited, not sure if that one is actually the ALT alerter but it was annoying so I chose to modify it anyway) and after previewing it I clicked "Action > Save [sOUND : 6065 : 1033]...", saving it to a temp folder as alt_horn.wav.Next (I'm running XP, your results may vary) from "Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment" I opened up the Sound Recorder. From the file menu in Sound Recorder I opened the newly extracted alt_horn.wav, then used "Effects > Decrease Volume" on it a couple times. You can play the sound in Sound Recorder to preview the volume change. When happy just save it.Fire up ResHack again and open the ERJ.gau. Use "Action > Replace other Rescource..." and browse the temp folder and select the modified alt_horn.wav. Then you have to specify what you're trying to replace, i.e. Rescource Type: SOUND, Rescource Name: 6065, Rescource Language: 1033 (see screenshot). Then "File > Save" the ERJ.gau and the annoyance should be gone. I think ResHack automatically makes a backup of the original ERJ.gau, or at least I have an "ERJ_original.gau" in my panel folder after the modification, but of course it never hurts to manually back up the original .gau before messing with it. I haven't tested the modified .gau in the sim yet but will shortly.JimPS, I mentioned in another thread about finally returning home last Sunday, however I didn't actually make it home until late Tuesday afternoon after about 7 1/2 hrs of "snow-blowing". Some actuator went haywire on my pickup rendering the 4WD useless and it seems a popular part this time of year as I still haven't managed to aquire one from any of the local parts suppliers. One shop mentioned they had replaced something like 9 of the damn things in the past week. I got in with 2WD after removing about 10" of snow that had accumulated since Sun the 21st, but it's frickin snowing hard again right now so I'll probably have to clean out the driveway once more before I can make it to work tomorrow. Shucks, I might not even be able to get out till Monday B) .I've been lucky though as we haven't gotten half the snow up here in the Idaho panhandle that they've been getting further South in the cities of Coeur d' Alene (KCOE) and Spokane, Washington (KGEG). It said on the news that the city of Spokane was spending $90,000 a day on snow removal and they've commissioned several of the large industrial snow blowers from Fairchild AFB, through an official state of emergency, to come and help clean out the streets. All I can say is "B777-200, KSEA > PHNL, FL340", I'm outta here :( .
Thanks once again JimI had a cursory glance at your post last night but was a bit lagered :( so I have returned to it now.I sort of did what you did but used my Creative wave file sound editor instead, I did manage to reduce the volume and save the file ,but could not find a way to replace the original so every time I loaded up the ERJ and slewed it up to ten thousand to test if there was any reduction in the volume of the ALT alert sadly there was not so I shall try your suggestions instead.Sorry to hear about your snow woes.On the other hand if you are snowed in there's a bit more time for simming(got to get your priorities right) :( Andy

AH HA!I have done it!Thanks JimOnly trouble is the dammed horn is too quiet now :( PS As an aside using the sound recorder is so much better than fiddling about with the much more complex(many more features of course)wave file studio.I haven't really needed anything other than to reduce or increase wav volumes and for that the sound recorder is so much more simple to use and I never even realised I had it.So that's two good results.cheers Andy

Gees, I hadn't thought about slewing to test out the alt alerter. Here I was firing up the airplane, taking off and climbing to altitude each time I wanted to check it out. Shucks, I had to fly a 3-leg tour yesterday "testing out the alt alerter" :( I'm glad that worked out for you Andy. That sound recorder will also record new .wav files from a microphone or headset. Imagine an ERJ panel that shouts obscenities at you if you try to takeoff without proper flaps set :( . Heh, heh... Now where did I put that headset last time I put it away...Jim

Gees, I hadn't thought about slewing to test out the alt alerter. Here I was firing up the airplane, taking off and climbing to altitude each time I wanted to check it out. Shucks, I had to fly a 3-leg tour yesterday "testing out the alt alerter" :( I'm glad that worked out for you Andy. That sound recorder will also record new .wav files from a microphone or headset. Imagine an ERJ panel that shouts obscenities at you if you try to takeoff without proper flaps set :( . Heh, heh... Now where did I put that headset last time I put it away...Jim
JimJust one more thing then i will leave you in peace(well maybe :( )its about the push back section of the panel.can you get it to work?i can only push back straight but the buttons for turning I can't get to work.Its not that important as i use Rob Berendregt's push back gauge anyway,but I am wondering if I have got the latest version of the Grabowski panel.cheers Andy

JimIgnore my last post.You may be interested to know that the Bill Grabowski panel has its own forum on FSNordic.I found my pushback query there and Bill's panel does in fact use the basic FS9 pushback procedure so the buttons to change direction are in fact dummies also you may be interested to know that the wiper feature also doesn't actually work either.Andy