Sign in to follow this  
Dondo

End Of My Rope I Think

Let me first say that I'm going to try and not bash Vista, but it is going to be difficult.Quadcore Q9550, 4 gig ram, GeForce 260, Vista Home Premium 64After months of constant crashing in FSX (which I first attributed to addons not playing together nicely, which turns out is not the case), sound dropping out of Vista all together, at least 1 BSOD every week (even when not in FSX), USB devices not waking up from "Sleep Mode" in Vista, I really think I am going to go back to XP until Windows 7 becomes available. Because of several real world reasons, I have not been able to fly my real plane (well, not mine, but I rent) so I've been trying to make up for that with simulation. Vista and my particular hardware isn't going to allow me to enjoy my simulation hobby I guess.While it will be a large undertaking to reinstall all of my addon's, favorites, programs, etc, I'm really thinking that it might pay off in enjoyment I get from simming. My question is dealing with the limitation of XP and my PC hardware. I have 4 gig of ram installed, I know XP will only show 3.2 gig, but will it use the other .8 gig? Also, how does XP handle multicore processors? Am I going to lose some functionality or CPU potential with XP?One of the whole reasons I went to Vista to begin with was the DX10 support, but as we all know, that kind of fizzled with FSX.I'm completely at a loss with Vista. I have tweaked, researched, updated, patched, cussed and stomped around trying to get FSX stable with Vista, and I just can't do it anymore. I don't enjoy sitting behind the computer like I used too. Now I spend 90% of my time troubleshooting instead of using my considerable investment for what it was intended, simulation.

Have you tried a clean install of the OS?? It is apparent that something is not correct. I've been running Vista X64 for months and its been rock solid. Have you tested your memory, stress tested your system, reduced your clocks if your overclocking, is your mobo bios up to date?Not to burst your bubble about Windows 7 but it will essentially be Vista SE.

Have you tried a clean install of the OS?? It is apparent that something is not correct. I've been running Vista X64 for months and its been rock solid. Have you tested your memory, stress tested your system, reduced your clocks if your overclocking, is your mobo bios up to date?Not to burst your bubble about Windows 7 but it will essentially be Vista SE.
Not overclocked. The Windows Test says there is a problem with the memory. I returned the PC shortly after I got it and they ran RAM tests and could not replicate the problem. How do you stress test a system? Is there a program to download/buy?I'm hopeful that MS will have "fixed" some of the issues that people are having with Vista. I know that I am not alone in saying that so far, Vista has been the most unreliable OS I have used. There is a reason business's and private PC users didn't switch to Vista and that MS keeps extending support for XP.

Not overclocked. The Windows Test says there is a problem with the memory. I returned the PC shortly after I got it and they ran RAM tests and could not replicate the problem. How do you stress test a system? Is there a program to download/buy?I'm hopeful that MS will have "fixed" some of the issues that people are having with Vista. I know that I am not alone in saying that so far, Vista has been the most unreliable OS I have used. There is a reason business's and private PC users didn't switch to Vista and that MS keeps extending support for XP.
Being that you are not overclocked, I would first suggest that you download memtest86 and again test your RAM. You can download memtest86 from memtest86.com. Download the image from the memtest site and burn to CD. Make sure your bios is set to boot from CD, boot your system utilizing your memtest disk and let it run.Stress testing more relates to overclocking to ensure you have acheived a stable clock. You can do a search for Prime95 and you will find many downloads. As you are not overclocked, I would key on testing the memory first and foremost.What are the error messages you receive when you crash your system? Have you looked at the problems via the Event Viewer?

Being that you are not overclocked, I would first suggest that you download memtest86 and again test your RAM. You can download memtest86 from memtest86.com. Download the image from the memtest site and burn to CD. Make sure your bios is set to boot from CD, boot your system utilizing your memtest disk and let it run.Stress testing more relates to overclocking to ensure you have acheived a stable clock. You can do a search for Prime95 and you will find many downloads. As you are not overclocked, I would key on testing the memory first and foremost.What are the error messages you receive when you crash your system? Have you looked at the problems via the Event Viewer?
Thanks for the help. My most recent crash (this morning) was "ntoskrnl.exe". Sometimes I get a "ntdll.dll" crash and I have had several "WMI" error's along with "General Fault, unknown process". Of course, FSX crashes out quite a bit of the time with a whole bunch of different DLL error's. I see I have a "Print Spooler" issue quite a bit of the time as well. I know the kernal error is a pretty serious one. I have a feeling that is going to be a "Re-install Vista" issue. Of course, after a reboot, the PC is running fine (it is doing its memory check right now).

If something is wrong at the hardware level (memory, heat etc...) You can not expect FSX to be stable.So, one way of going about this is to start from the beginning:Check your hardware: power supply voltages (with volt monitoring applets from the mfg), motherboard drivers and bios (check the mfg site and check the mfg forums to get some feedback on which BIOS would be best);check also the "compliant" memory" as supplied with the MB,check your bios menus to verify that you're running "defaults" or better load up "default" for the BIOS.run system test software (OCCT, Everest Ultimate Edition) check temperatures (with mb software or RealTemp or Everest Ultimate Ed). A stable system would run these tests for hours, if it fails, something's wrong. note: you need to learn about your system: good CPU temp, chipset temp, gpu temp. etc... I know not everyone is "willing" to go through this but who else will? Most of the time,the answer to a problem is not unique.What motherboard are you using ?The comments above are there to help, maybe give you some ideas about what to do next. They are not meant to be a complete answer.I use Vista64bit here with FSX and it serves me well.Pierre

Pierre

DondoGosh ,I hope you get it fixed. I am upgrading to your CPU and VC this weekend.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.