Sign in to follow this  
Guest thelynx

Visual_damage=0

Guest thelynx

For years, I have been totally perplexed by developers using the visual_damage=0 command line in the aircraft.cfg file. I can understand the namby pambies at Microsoft using it because they are who they are. However, who in their right mind wants to crash in pristine condition?Personally, when I slam down a butt heavy MD-88 onto a runway too hard or cartwheel a B777 across the taxiway after a ridiculously tight turn onto an absurdly short final, I want to be rewarded with wings slicing through the air, plane bits flying about and fire scorching turf. Sure, I can and do make the adjustment myself, but why should I have to?I vote for: visual_damage=1If they made a "2" value with more realism, I'd vote for that.

Most developers don't want to waste their time modeling such behavior. That's why. Consider, you're probably the only person who's even complained about it.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Most developers don't want to waste their time modeling such behavior. That's why. Consider, you're probably the only person who's even complained about it.
Actually I queried this some years ago myself.Without seeming to appear morbid it is a fact of life that aircraft do crash.and although as my flying skills have improved after years of flight simming and I tend to crash FAIRLY rarely these days the rather horrible default crash effect with the aircraft whizzing on and on over the ground are a bit lame.I am not so bothered about it these days but a dammed good steaming great crash with a fine boom boom gasoline fuelled inferno would be rather good.PS Seriously I believe there are some effects files here at Avsim that might improve your nosedive and termination effect,but they may be payware trials i am not sure.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Guest thelynx

Apparently, I am not the first to mention the issue. Just the first in awhile. Considering the fact that most simmers desire a realistic flight experience, I'd not consider developing full effects a wasted effort.Andy, I really don't try to crash my planes unless I am annoyed at some installation anomaly and I agree the default effects are less than... effective. My gripe is with developers taking the time to create realistic models yet leaving out one small piece of code that makes pilot errors realistic.

You want realism? How about if you violate any FAA rules you can't fly the addon ever again? That's pretty realistic, and fairly easy to do.I mean... we're going for realism, right?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi,You are free to change that line to 1 and you will see no difference, in most, if not all your planes.

Here is a quote straight out of the Aircraft Container SDK -

Setting this flag to

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I say this to my non flying friends when they insist on trying out my yoke.....(sitting in my office enjoying a scotch)FRIEND: Hey Al what is that?ME: It's a yoke for flight simulatorFRIEND: Can I try it?So we get things up and running and they enjoy it for about two minutes and crash into something and exclaim.FRIEND: That's it? The gfx stink!ME: (remember this now) IT IS A FLIGHT SIMULATOR, NOT A PLANE CRASHING SIMULATOR.......

If you download Nick Needham's Massive Crash v3, you will find the effects in the default planes to be incredible. Set the Visual_damage= to 1, and fly a Cessna into a tree or let a wing accidentally clip the ground or the building. You'll be amazed.But you'll be lucky enough to find many addon planes out there that have that sort of detection built into their model. If they have, it'll be "funky", for example, in some Project Opensky aircraft, the crash damage is the main entry door and staircase breaking off. Not at all very realistic, :(FSX also was supposed to be a leap forward, but completely vanquished something even called a crash effect. A crash is nothing more than the plane sticking into the ground like a dart, with some small sparks and dirt flying everywhere to complement that. Could MS be discouraging crashes?FS11 should run better than FSX on most computers, so let's hope they incorporate better crash effects (and many other features!) that we can all enjoy.And, as noted before, it's FLIGHT Simulator, not Flight CRASH Simulator. :( We play the sim to fly, not to crash (hopefully).A Happy New Year to you!

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest Tingoose

In a simulator, for me, it's enough to know that you have crashed. I'm not interested in seeing the flames, wings flying etc. In real life, I'd be dead or at least unconscious so wouldn't witness the fireworks anyway.