Sign in to follow this  
gregger

Yet another method of supporting Pete Dowson

Guest RonB49

Why not a stripped-down freeware version and a payware "FSUIPC Pro?"I never thought I'd get involved in this subject, but as I read Lefteris's thread (Another method of supporting FSUIPC and Pete Dowson), I had a thought. It has always been my opinion that if FSUIPC is to be payware, then it must be the end-user who pays. Lefteris makes the point that if each developer adds a fee for FSUIPC support, then users will feel like they are paying twice (or more) for the same thing.The only way to insure that the user pays once is to charge the user. So, I ask again, "Why not a stripped-down freeware version and a payware 'FSUIPC Pro?'" The freeware version could provide only the hooks to link third-party addons to MSFS; no Technical Page, no joystick mapping, none of the weather bells and whistles.The payware "Pro" version would have everything that we have come to love in FSUIPC plus whatever Pete's fertile mind thinks of next. Will it work? I don't know but it is yet another idea. By the way, its not even my idea. It is mentioned in Lefteris's thread and perhaps elsewhere. R-

You just doubled Peter's work. He would have to ensure two versions were updated and tested.I really think we should wait until Peter is back from vacation and see what he finally decides.

Guest ba747heavy

Not really. He could code FSUIPC in such a way that it would load 'modules' based on the situation, ie 'Pro module' which would extend the functionality of the 'basic' module. Basic is what you would get as a freeware user, and then it could search everytime it is loaded for the 'pro module.'That make sense?

Guest ba747heavy

Greg,100% agreed. I don't want to seem like I am trying to make the decision for Pete. I am not. I will respect his disicion. But I for one will not buy FSUIPC, or will not buy any product that relies on FSUIPC if FSUIPC goes payware. The facts of life dictate that. I am a 17 year old kid who simply cannot afford another person out there gouging me. I have to save several months just to get one plane. I have a real hard time convincing my parents that I ought to be able to spend more money on this hobby. They would laugh at me if I wanted to buy FSUIPC, and I don't blame them.I will keep my FS2K2 and FSUIPC version whatever that works and is freeware. If the price of entrance into FS2K4 means I need to buy FSUIPC, then I will not pay without some severe convincing otherwise.Now, the above was said with *no* disrespect to Mr. Dowson. If I could afford it, I would get it. I respect Mr. Dowson because he has kept FSUIPC freeware for this long. I totally respect the hours he has put into FSUIPC.