Sign in to follow this  
Guest LaFalaise

Airport Backgrounds

Guest LaFalaise

I have just installed Ultimate Terrain Canada X & fsGenesis Canadian Mesh for FSX. Since having done this, the airport background from one of my favorite strips CZMT up in the Queen Charlotte Islands appears to run out into the ocean creating an ugly rectangle (pls. see attached picture). Thanks to my new AVSIM forum friend Kendall, I have installed and updated the SDK & ADE which has allowed me to adjust the runway and airport features; however I can't seem to find any way to exclude the old background or the offending part of it. Is there a way to fix this problem? Thank you for your consideration.

In ADE click on the polygon tool. In the properties box select type Exclude Specific and the tag Airport Backgrounds Flatten MaskClassMap Autogen. Draw the polygon around the airport.scott s..

I think that FSX KML (available from fsdeveloper.com) is the ideal tool for this. With this, you create an exclusion polygon in Google Earth, save as a KML file, load the file into FSX KML and tag it as a polygon exclusion. You would need to identify the type of polygon first, using TmfViewer, which comes with the SDK.The exclusion polygon just needs to bisect the background polygon.Using Google Earth/FSX KML you can then create a more accurate background polygon as well.EDIT: I wasn't aware that ADE could do this (thanks, Scott), although I use it often:) If you have ADE up and running, then of course that would be a great way to do it...

In ADE click on the polygon tool. In the properties box select type Exclude Specific and the tag Airport Backgrounds Flatten MaskClassMap Autogen. Draw the polygon around the airport.scott s..
Scott, I tried doing what you described in ADE and it didn't change a thing. I also created a separate folder for the resulting .bgls and placed them ABOVE the UTX entries in the hierarchy and it still didn't work. The only thing that worked for me was completely excluding the airport background - which obviously didn't leave any boundries. Were you able to make any changes with your tag?

Regards, Kendall

In ADE you need to draw the exclusionary polygon and TAG it with Exclude General | Airport Backgrounds.This polygon does not need to encompass the existing Airport Boundary, it just needs to intersect the existing area. You cannot remove a portion of the existing AB, it takes out the entire area, which means a new AB will need to be drawn.

In ADE you need to draw the exclusionary polygon and TAG it with Exclude General | Airport Backgrounds.This polygon does not need to encompass the existing Airport Boundary, it just needs to intersect the existing area. You cannot remove a portion of the existing AB, it takes out the entire area, which means a new AB will need to be drawn.
Thanks Lance, that was what I was doing and saw results - I was curious if Scott was able to make his tag work and why it wouldn't do anything for me.

Regards, Kendall

Guest LaFalaise

Thank you Scott and others, the ADE works flawlessly, I have now removed the old background and replaced it with one that works great with UT Canada and fsGenesis Mesh. Your help is greatfully appreciated.