Sign in to follow this  
Guest Proflig8tor

Captain Sim Review

Guest Proflig8tor

Out of respect to AvSim and the degree of trust your readers place in reviewer's opinions ... it is my opinion AvSim should give consideration to pulling the Captain Sim 757 Pro Pack (FSX) review off the site.There were more than 10 bugs I observed in the product in 15 minutes. Problems with the engine response, autopilot, VNAV and autothrottles make the sim unplayable. After a couple hours looking for fixes and only finding frustrated forum entries by others who regret having purchased the Captain Sim product, I'm uninstalling it.As a reviewer, our first obligation must be to our readers. If I was misled by the review, surely others will be. I say, lets take the gloves off and review it with candor, or if we fear being so outspoken, perhaps we should say nothing at all and just pull it down. Respectfully submitted,Prof. (typed 757 pilot, Avsim reviewer and remorseful Captain Sim buyer)

Guest Proflig8tor

OK - I think I've figured this out. The FSX CS 757 is a port of a FS9 product. A recent revision, identified by "4200" in the file, significantly changed the product and made it basically unusable in FSX. The aircraft is uncontrollable after engagement of the autopilot / autothrottles. It is no small problem since engagement of the autothrottles is the second thing you do on the takeoff roll. Captain Sim's response is that they are aware of the problem, but they provide no further guidance.This is not the reviewer's fault. They reviewed a substantially different product that must have worked. However, I remain concerned that readers will think the CS 757 is the same as the one which was reviewed and think consideration should be given to pulling the review until the product being sold matches what was reviewed, or is at least fixed.

Guest Astradan

Firstly, as you will see from my name at the bottom of this posting, I am NOT the reviewer of the CS 757.I disagree with your comments. Perhaps if you are indeed a 757/767 type rated ATPL, you are looking for more from the product than is realistic for a consumer add-on for a MS Flight Simulator ?I am not defending Captain Sim - I too believe there approach to support is appalling, and I too would not buy any further products from them. However, I believe the 757 is a decent product now (finally), and I think the review done a fair job of covering it's aspects.If you are indeed a fellow Avsim reviewer, I believe your post is lacking in respect - you should appreciate that some add-ons polarize the community - people do not agree on the merits and issues - and the CS 757 is a good example of that.If you did feel, as a fellow reviewer yourself, that you wanted to challenge the person who spent their time producing this review, I feel that very least you could do (if you were indeed intending to be respectful), was include your name.Regards,David RogersAVSIM Staff Reviewer. (Not the reviewer of the Captain Sim 757)

Guest Proflig8tor

This is the second post, updating the situation with the Captain Sim 757 for FSX. Not sure why the first reply did not post, but if this is redundant.....The version now being shipped is not the version Angelique reviewed. CS's latest revision is "4200" and their fix of issues in FS9 may have broken some features of FSX. Version 4200 is not flyable. due to severe roll and yaw issues in the flight model as well as a non functioning Autopilot / Autothrottle.When I have time, I will try to shoot a video and post it, so everyone can understand the nature of the issues involved.

Guest Proflig8tor

Here's a demo of the control problem shot by another user:

Guest Funduro

Just purchased the Just Flight version of Captain 757 for FS2004. This product seems to follow a growing trend towards throwing a half finished product onto the marketplace and then wait a year to get the thing patched and working . I cannot download the patch from CaptainSim to upgrade this product and Just Flight can give me no indication of when they will make the Service Pack available just the usual its on its way type response. I also based my purchasing decision based on a review here. I am amazed by how defensive the merchants get when you dare to have the nerve to complain. This product is not a good advert for the flightsim industry. I personally will not trust another review and its not just here at Avsim. I would advise people to read the support forums before making a purchase. At some point they will have to listen to customers as revenues fall and I just hope quality developers do not suffer because of this poor attitude.Reviewers have a responsibility to give an honest appraisal about a product and have the guts to withdraw it or correct it when they got it wrong. Just read the feedback about this product in the unofficial forum.

Just purchased the Just Flight version of Captain 757 for FS2004. This product seems to follow a growing trend towards throwing a half finished product onto the marketplace and then wait a year to get the thing patched and working . I cannot download the patch from CaptainSim to upgrade this product and Just Flight can give me no indication of when they will make the Service Pack available just the usual its on its way type response. I also based my purchasing decision based on a review here. I am amazed by how defensive the merchants get when you dare to have the nerve to complain. This product is not a good advert for the flightsim industry. I personally will not trust another review and its not just here at Avsim. I would advise people to read the support forums before making a purchase. At some point they will have to listen to customers as revenues fall and I just hope quality developers do not suffer because of this poor attitude.Reviewers have a responsibility to give an honest appraisal about a product and have the guts to withdraw it or correct it when they got it wrong. Just read the feedback about this product in the unofficial forum.
AVSIM would be disappointed if you never believed another review you read here. Our reviewers write unbiased reports based on their experience with the product and try to report the good, bad and ugly of all titles they are assigned. OK, this one didn't live up to the local forums, nor any other forum discussing this title. However, we have an abundance of excellent reviews and happy readers with the other titles we have reviewed and published.

Guest Funduro
AVSIM would be disappointed if you never believed another review you read here. Our reviewers write unbiased reports based on their experience with the product and try to report the good, bad and ugly of all titles they are assigned. OK, this one didn't live up to the local forums, nor any other forum discussing this title. However, we have an abundance of excellent reviews and happy readers with the other titles we have reviewed and published.
RobertI will try to keep reading the reviews here. I hope this is just a one off, imo just an incomplete product that was boosted with rave reviews. I would imagine a lot of Avsim members including me waiting patiently to see Captain 757 in its final form after the Service Pack is released.Mark

I have based several purchase's using information from reviews here. To say you won't trust them again should be reconsidered.But...I am one who believes that Capt. Sim should be held accountable for the 757! All versions of it!Angelique may have missed the mark in "Summary / Closing remarks.""CS is offering potential users updates or patches and as far as I

Guest Proflig8tor

To the reviewer's great credit, the reviewer looked into my concerns, documented some of them and contacted the publisher.To have a reviewer re load a product, re test it and follow up is waaay beyond the call of duty, particularly so on work that they volunteer for.Lessons learned:(1) Your AvSim reviewers have incredible integrity(2) Complex FS9 ports can have problems(3) If customer service is spelled "цустомэр сэрвіцэ" where your product is produced, learn the meaning of the Latin phrase "caveat emptor."I am looking forward to our next review! AvSim maintains it's status as the best reviews money can't buy :)