Sign in to follow this  
thrakete

Aerosoft Fsx Dh2c Beaver-no 2d, No Readable Gps

Hi,I have the Aerosoft FSX DH2C ("Self Ordered" Christmas Gift) and after a ten minute look dumped it from my FSX program. It loads up the Sim with a plague of "Variations", most of no interest whatsoever to me, has no 2D Cockpit, and the VC GPS (the only one) is so small it is unreadable on my 225 Samsung monitor. I guess I could try to adapt the FSX 2D Beaver cockpit, spend half a day cleaning the 40 or so Aerosoft "variations" out of my FSX folder, then add a readable GPS, but am not convinced it is worth the bother. I only requested this package because FSX did not include a Beaver wheeled version. An example of the work that went into this package is a statement about the GPS, and I quote;"We could not find the correct manuals for this instrument in the documentation for FSX, so we advise you to study the real manuals" .IMHO, this has all the earmarks of what might have been a good FS9 product that got stamped "FSX" after a bare minimum of effort, and reboxed.I also bought, but have not installed their DHC6. Now I am not sure I will even try it, because of the hassle of possibly dumping it afterwards.I have the PIC 737 that this group markets, and think it is a good add-on. That is why I chose their Beaver. To use the acceptable form of comment however, "It does not live up to my expectations".I would be interested in other opinions on this one, ways around the problems I mentioned, or a suggested alternative FSX Beaver. Maybe I am missing something here. Regards,Thrakete

Only 2 issues wit that plane, first is that GPS i added the EZ gps to it for that reason and the other is that you cant get rid of the yoke, seems to be an issue with a lot of new planes, As for the VC well its the way it going to be and its the only way a lot of people fly these days. Othewise its a darn good plane as is the DHC6, which is one of the best out there at the moment. Oh and i love the vc is quiet useable.

Only 2 issues wit that plane, first is that GPS i added the EZ gps to it for that reason and the other is that you cant get rid of the yoke, seems to be an issue with a lot of new planes, As for the VC well its the way it going to be and its the only way a lot of people fly these days. Othewise its a darn good plane as is the DHC6, which is one of the best out there at the moment. Oh and i love the vc is quiet useable.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have installed (briefly) then uninstalled the DHC-6 since my original post. I don't really think these are bad models, they are just not as good as I had expected, especially the Beaver. I think the FSX default Beaver is a better product, except MS chose not to put any wheels on it. What these two do have going for them is that they seem not to have any competition if you want that class of plane. As for the VC's in general, I agree they are "usable" and I do use them for part of the time on most of my other planes, but never exclusively. I just don't think most VC's, Freeware or Payware, are good enough yet to completely replace the 2D cockpits. One other problem I noticed is that some of the non-essential DHC-6 VC gauges are not readable, even on a wide screen monitor. That seems to be a common VC problem, at least until you get up into the more expensive products. I don't have the gauge readability problem on my other payware planes, but have to consider that they they cost twice as much as these.At the present time I won't knowingly buy a plane which does not include both 2D and VC cockpits. This is the first time I have encountered Pay-Ware planes that do not have both types.These are just personal preferences of course, and the DHC-6 visual model does look good. Anyhow, everyone has their own "druthers", and that's why everyone does not use the same thing. I didn't "trash" them, so who knows, I may reinstall them at a later date and find that I like them. Thanks again for your inputs.Regards,Thrakete

ThraketeYou can actually make the GPS larger and readable by cycling through the views in the VC - you get to see all of the gauges this way too. If you have a trackIR it makes it very easy to read all the VC instruments by moving your head nearer to the instruments as you might in real life. It is a nice little plane and flies beautifully.RegardsPeterH

Probably too old and beneath your dignity, but for what it is worth:I also favor the option of having either floats or wheels. In fact, I highly favor both. As a result, a couple of amphibians might be worth a consideration relative to the DeHavilland birds:DHC2av2The Turbobeaver by Premier Aircraft Design, DHC2_BeaverMK3_C-FOPA might be a consideration as well.They are freeware.Good luck:RTH

ThraketeYou can actually make the GPS larger and readable by cycling through the views in the VC - you get to see all of the gauges this way too. If you have a trackIR it makes it very easy to read all the VC instruments by moving your head nearer to the instruments as you might in real life. It is a nice little plane and flies beautifully.RegardsPeterH
PeterHThanks much. I guess I didn't exercise much patience with the products, and may have dumped them out prematurely. I don't have a trackIR, and don't even know what it is, but it sounds interesting.The truth is, I am pretty deeply involved right now in learning how to use the PMDG MD-11, and will probably get back to the Beaver and DHC-6 when I get caught up on that. I am still not impressed with the VC only philosophy though.Regards,Thrakete

Probably too old and beneath your dignity, but for what it is worth:I also favor the option of having either floats or wheels. In fact, I highly favor both. As a result, a couple of amphibians might be worth a consideration relative to the DeHavilland birds:DHC2av2The Turbobeaver by Premier Aircraft Design, DHC2_BeaverMK3_C-FOPA might be a consideration as well.They are freeware.Good luck:RTH
Rhodges,

RTH, At my age there is not much that is too old, and about half of my favorite FSX airplanes are Freeware. In fact, I find that quite a few Freeware releases are very well done, and some of the Payware is junk. It's sorting out the bad Payware that is the problem. You have to depend on the forum inputs or past experience with the developers.Thanks for the tips, I printed out your reply and will check them out.Regards,Thrakete

Guest jshyluk

GAAAHHH!!What am I to you, chopped liver?! Do you have any idea how long it look to write this review of the aircraft you are describing? Well, I don't either, it was a long time ago, but I did spend at least 20 hours with it in flight time, and because I am a slow typer, it takes me forever to write my reviews... and edit out a load of Beaver-themed double-entendres... and find perhaps the world's leading experts on the DH2 to talk about the product (Harrison Ford wasn't returning my calls). Well, the above is intended as phoney bluster. I'm not really angry at all. But I am more than a little surprised that you came to the conclusions that you did if you read my review... unless... (shocked silence) ... no, I will not put words to the unthinkable.Certainly you are free to you own opinion. Not everyone will agree with any of my reviews: that's absolute. But I thought I did a decent amount of research on the product, and that the review was reasonably clear. I know I put in the information that the product has no 2D cockpit, there's a fact. As for the TrackIR, I clearly state that I use that in my review... heck I even have a review on that product on AVSIM. Although most people don't fly with one, I vastly prefer FSX with TrackIR. NaturalPoint has even lowered their price on the gizmo. The TrackIR makes the DH2 GPS easier to use, for sure.Normally, most aircraft have a VIEWS menu that allow the 2D GPS to show up as a pop-up menu. Strangely, the Aerosoft Beaver does not. I suppose you could set one up in the aircraft .cfg file. However, the DH2 is a bush plane, so I find I don't need the GPS a lot. I can still see the purple line that lets me know I am on course, and that's about all. If I need more, I just look at the Map, or I refer to the flight plan I have written on a piece of paper. For enlightenment, if required:My DH2 review:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0507/BeaverX/BeaverX.htmThe definitive TrackIR review by the incomparable Zane Gard:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0206/IR4/IR4.htmMy humble addition to the above:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0207/TrackClip/TrackClip.htmJeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

JeffI enjoyed your Beaver review!! As I said above the GPS can be enlarged in the VC cockpit view by cycling with the "A" key. Like you I prefer to use TrackIR and lean forward. Also if you install some 3rd party GPS gauges eg Simflyer you can set up the GPS unit as a "pop-up" reasonably easy and easier if you use FS Panel Studio. I know when I was researching this topic when I was trying to set this Beaver to use FS-Force I had to put in a "blank" 2-d panel but on the aerosoft forum there is indeed a working 2D panel that you can add. I found this on one of the forums - I can't remember where so cannot geve credit to the author and this sets up a GPS in The Beaver:"Aerosoft Beaver adding a GPSWindow Titles]window00=mainWindow01=GPSAdd below the [views] section:[Window01]size_mm=456,378window_size=0.5position=8BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0VISIBLE=0ident=GPS_PANELzorder=4gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0"Don't stop your reviews I never buy any plane until someone at AVSIM has reviewed it.RegardsPeterH

GAAAHHH!!What am I to you, chopped liver?! Do you have any idea how long it look to write this review of the aircraft you are describing? Well, I don't either, it was a long time ago, but I did spend at least 20 hours with it in flight time, and because I am a slow typer, it takes me forever to write my reviews... and edit out a load of Beaver-themed double-entendres... and find perhaps the world's leading experts on the DH2 to talk about the product (Harrison Ford wasn't returning my calls). Well, the above is intended as phoney bluster. I'm not really angry at all. But I am more than a little surprised that you came to the conclusions that you did if you read my review... unless... (shocked silence) ... no, I will not put words to the unthinkable.Certainly you are free to you own opinion. Not everyone will agree with any of my reviews: that's absolute. But I thought I did a decent amount of research on the product, and that the review was reasonably clear. I know I put in the information that the product has no 2D cockpit, there's a fact. As for the TrackIR, I clearly state that I use that in my review... heck I even have a review on that product on AVSIM. Although most people don't fly with one, I vastly prefer FSX with TrackIR. NaturalPoint has even lowered their price on the gizmo. The TrackIR makes the DH2 GPS easier to use, for sure.Normally, most aircraft have a VIEWS menu that allow the 2D GPS to show up as a pop-up menu. Strangely, the Aerosoft Beaver does not. I suppose you could set one up in the aircraft .cfg file. However, the DH2 is a bush plane, so I find I don't need the GPS a lot. I can still see the purple line that lets me know I am on course, and that's about all. If I need more, I just look at the Map, or I refer to the flight plan I have written on a piece of paper. For enlightenment, if required:My DH2 review:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0507/BeaverX/BeaverX.htmThe definitive TrackIR review by the incomparable Zane Gard:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0206/IR4/IR4.htmMy humble addition to the above:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0207/TrackClip/TrackClip.htmJeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
Jeff;What do you have against chopped liver? Ever tried it? I read a culinary review that stated it is great!Back to the subject: No mystery here. Sorry, I didn't read your review or even think of looking for one for that matter. If I had, I probably wouldn't have bought the products because of the lack of a 2D cockpit and the GPS "issue" (Nobody ever has problems anymore, just issues), so my bad. However my "Christmas Gift Giver" insisted I buy something on their nickel to go under the tree, so I sort of quickly picked those two packages at random. As I stated before, I just un-installed the products, I didn't trash the discs, so they may see some use at a later date.I did read one Flight Sim add-on review recently though-don't remember where- in which the reviewer said you could not go wrong on a $15.00 "Universal" FMC. At the end of the review though he also stated that he spent over $100.00 to get it to work, albeit not very well, and only on one airplane as I recall. I'm sure that could not have been you though. :<) I had already bought that one at the time, and It was a bust as far as I am concerned, but I did not try to redevelop it, so I saved $85.00 there I guess.Actually, I think this may be the first time I have posted a negative comment on any Payware, and believe me, I won't do it again!However, your post is received in the spirit in which it was written, and I will reform and consider your reviews along with the Forum comments before downloading or buying something from now on. Happy New Year! Please close this string!Regards,Thrakete

Hi Folks,Thanks to all who made helpful suggestions.I think I have just about milked this one dry, so am no longer set up to monitor the string and won't see any further replies.Regards,Tjhrakete

Guest bobmay

Looks like I joined this thread about a week too late to be of any use to the original poster but here's my 2 cents worth anyhow...To zoom in in the Aerosoft Beaver GPS you don't need any fancy gear, you just hold down the space bar and move the mouse to the GPS then roll the zoom wheel, you can fill the whole screen with the GPS if you want to and then (almost) instantly revert back to a wider cockpit view.Bob.

Hi Folks,Thanks to all who made helpful suggestions.I think I have just about milked this one dry, so am no longer set up to monitor the string and won't see any further replies.Regards,Tjhrakete

Guest beaver1
Looks like I joined this thread about a week too late to be of any use to the original poster but here's my 2 cents worth anyhow...To zoom in in the Aerosoft Beaver GPS you don't need any fancy gear, you just hold down the space bar and move the mouse to the GPS then roll the zoom wheel, you can fill the whole screen with the GPS if you want to and then (almost) instantly revert back to a wider cockpit view.Bob.Ok Hello, so is there a 2D panel for the BeaverX then??Thank You