Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Useful Info From Mike Ray

Guest cliffie1931

Other Members may be interested to read the answers I've had from Mike Ray to a couple of questions posed by me.Copies follow:Dear Mike

Thanks for the update. Mike Ray is a great guy and wonderful contributor to the community. I have his 747 and 757/767 manuals...simply fantastic.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

The Jeppessen charts Capt. Ray speaks of are very nice, but you can make do with the free NACO charts provided by the government too. Just go to www.flightaware.com and enter in an airport at the bottom left, then select "Airport Information and Procedures" at the bottom and it'll show you all the charts in order as PDF files.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I read that the charts program sold by Jep for MSFS uses the default navdata in MSFS. Wow, making money on obsolete data. Wish I had thought of that.Don't be a sucker and buy obosolete data.. besides, the terminal stuff is where all the interesting navdata resides and MSFS/Jep both ignore SIDs and STARs. On second thought, we should be letting both Microsoft (I amost wrote Microslop but that offended someone) and Jeppsen know that we are not interested in paying for something that can be obtained free and up to date (for some parts of the world at least).Geeze.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yeah, maybe. The promo from Jep that I read didn't cover sidstars. I assumed they are missing because, according to them, the simcharts are based on the default msfs navdata; which does not include any new arrival or departure route published for the past, oh say about five years. They may have some terminal procedures, but based on the limited info they provide, I'm led to believe they wouldn't have any of (for example) RNAV SIDs for KATL, KDFW, KCLT or KLAX just to name a couple off the top of my head. I am certain I read that the simcharts are not updated, so that means all the msfs airports missing runways now would not have approaches either. Not enough info, maybe I assume too much. If so, they could do a little better job with their promotions.

Dan Downs KCRP

How about Navigraph's NDAC service? Affordable up-to date Jeppesen style charts that you can download as required and view in the software or print if you wish. Both airport (all charts per airport) / enroute charts available, worldwide coverage.I have an old laptop that I use for this purpose, along with some other required FS programs via WideFS.

Guest sunbear
How about Navigraph's NDAC service? Affordable up-to date Jeppesen style charts that you can download as required and view in the software or print if you wish. Both airport (all charts per airport) / enroute charts available, worldwide coverage.I have an old laptop that I use for this purpose, along with some other required FS programs via WideFS.
How about fltplan.comPretty neat site.Regards,jack

How about Navigraph's NDAC service? Affordable up-to date Jeppesen style charts that you can download as required and view in the software or print if you wish. Both airport (all charts per airport) / enroute charts available, worldwide coverage.
I have been temped for months to try nDAC. You like it?

Dan Downs KCRP

I have been temped for months to try nDAC. You like it?
I like nDAC as a service very much and I would recommend it.One of the reasons is I like to keep my simulator experience as realistic as possible, but the fact being that I don't get paid doing it, also like like to keep things as simple as possible. You can get ALL up to date charts for a given airport at the click of a mouse without the need to go hunting around the internet and printing them.The cost per airport package is low, something like 20-30 euro cents per package which can include more than 40 individual chart pages.Downsides, there are some and one is I don't find the actual software interface very comfortable to use, I haven't seen any plans to improve it lately. I can live with it though. Also, I'd recommed that unless you intend to print all the charts, get a cheap used laptop and install nDAC on it, unless you like alt-tabing out to view charts :( The printing facility is a little bit lacking and with few options, but again, it can be lived with.If you happen not to like the chart service, you can always use your credits to purchase AIRAC updates for addons or instructional videos.

Guest SkullxBones

I use nDAC but one the big problems I have is they don't cover many airports and you can't request to add them.

One airways venue Mike left out is the Low Altitude Airways below 18,000 feet (transition altitude in the US) used by turbo-props and props for shorter legs. You might be using these in the 1900D as an example.For outside of US territories I often go to VATSIM listed sources. Each jurisdiction states the strata for their charts. You can find sources for charts listed in another thread started just a few days ago.By the way - I also recommend Mike's 700 series PC sim book and he has released as a new manual for PC simming on the Airbus 300 series described here:http://www.utem.com/arrivals.htmlScroll down to the one for FS at $49.95, not the check ride one for $89.95, if you happen to fly Airbus as well. I think when flying complex aircraft it would be difficult to alternate between the two model series.