Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Fs9 Severe Imc Conditions At Fl250

I made two flights yesterday in FS9, starting them using ASA and part way through both I was suddenly enveloped in dark grey, which didn't really look like cloud. In spot view all that could be seen was the 737 surrounded by dark grey with no sight of the ground and no apparent top. This was at FL250!Each time I paused the sim, minimized it and closed ASA, then started AS6.5. After that had fired up and stabilized the problem went away and I continued each flight with AS6.5.Is this an issue that is being looked at please? If not and I am the only one with the problem then I am concerned, as at present ASA is unusable for me and I am now using AS6.5, hoping that the forthcoming patch will solve this problem. I have FSUIPC 3.85 and have visibility smoothing enabled. I tried altering the various cloud settings in ASA, including setting them all to 0 but that made no difference at all.I just hope I haven't wasted 27 UK pounds!Iain Smith

Hi,Can you reproduce this and post a screen shot of FS and the ASA Report Screen?Thanks,

Hi,Can you reproduce this and post a screen shot of FS and the ASA Report Screen?Thanks,
Hi Jim,Thanks for your response. I'll certainly try and do what you ask. However, it doesn't happen on every flight. I think it may be triggered by some aspect of the weather such as thick cloud so I'll search for those conditions and report back.Iain Smith

Hi Jim,Here are some screenshots of cockpit & external views between FL260 and FL290 plus the ASA report screen as you requested. This flight was over the Alps, near Innsbruck, Austria (LOWI) and in daylight.RegardsIain Smith

Hi,Thanks for those. ASA isn't showing anything strange, but FS is. I'll try and duplicate with my FS04.Thanks,

Hi,Thanks for those. ASA isn't showing anything strange, but FS is. I'll try and duplicate with my FS04.Thanks,
Well Jim as I said in my original post, switching mid-flight to AS6.5 cures the problem. I proved that again tonight on a flight from Zurich (LSZH) to Manchester UK (EGCC). The problem seems to occur when you start from an airport where visibility is low. Tonight at Zurich it was 3SM and I had exactly the same result. After AS6.5 was running the dark grey disappeared and I saw the stars and the ground below.Iain Smith

Hi Iain,Make sure you have "Enable Visibility Graduation and Smoothing" checked on in the Options/Visibility Options section of ASA.Devin

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Hi Iain,Make sure you have "Enable Visibility Graduation and Smoothing" checked on in the Options/Visibility Options section of ASA.Devin
Hi Devin,Sorry just seen your post (didn't get the usual e-mail alert!) I didn't have that checked so now have done and will try a flight later on. I haven't installed the 355 Beta - is it worth doing or wait until other issues are sorted?Iain

Hi Devin,Sorry just seen your post (didn't get the usual e-mail alert!) I didn't have that checked so now have done and will try a flight later on. I haven't installed the 355 Beta - is it worth doing or wait until other issues are sorted?Iain
No Prob! I hope this will work for you.As for B355, I'd highly suggest it. It fixes a lot of issues (such as improper winds at the Flight Levels in FS9) and CTD problems. Even though it is a beta, it's pretty solid and you can also help all of us by reporting any bugs you may find. Each of us uses ASA differently and can produce something we haven't thought about.Let me know if the solution worked.Devin

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

No Prob! I hope this will work for you.As for B355, I'd highly suggest it. It fixes a lot of issues (such as improper winds at the Flight Levels in FS9) and CTD problems. Even though it is a beta, it's pretty solid and you can also help all of us by reporting any bugs you may find. Each of us uses ASA differently and can produce something we haven't thought about.Let me know if the solution worked.Devin
Hi Devin,The solution you suggested re visibility graduation and smoothing seems to have worked so thanks for that! :( I have now installed Build 355 and have noticed a couple of things:-1. On two separate flights from different locations, the report stated clouds - few but what I was seeing was much more than few - more even than scattered. I would have said broken.2. I've done only night flights so far so can't say whether this occurs in daylight but the clouds keep going light and dark on a roughly 30 second cycle. Can't say I noticed this before adding the Beta but couldn't be 100% sure.Don't know if anyone else has noticed these. :( Iain

This problems looks like the FS9 weather.dll bug that FlightSim Manager fixed a long time ago wherein if the sim was producing a fog layer you would be surrounded by overcast skys.I opened FSM and looked in the documentation. This is it :Fix Fog Bug in Weather.dll (FS2004 only) There is a minor bug in FS2004 weather.dll, which cause a strange fog effect with Metric METAR data and when there are some clouds in the area. This 10 mile or less visibility bug in which visibility haze mutates unrealistically into an inpenetrable overcast. If real-world weather reports visiblity of 10 miles or less, you would get an overcast sky even when it's supposed to be clear.Note: This problem does not occur where metar visibility is in miles (such as USA, Canada).Once patched, weather.dll will behave properly. However, if you wish to restore the original file, you can do so from the repository system.Note: This update will work on both FS9 and FS9.1 (after the update)

This problems looks like the FS9 weather.dll bug that FlightSim Manager fixed a long time ago wherein if the sim was producing a fog layer you would be surrounded by overcast skys.I opened FSM and looked in the documentation. This is it :Fix Fog Bug in Weather.dll (FS2004 only) There is a minor bug in FS2004 weather.dll, which cause a strange fog effect with Metric METAR data and when there are some clouds in the area. This 10 mile or less visibility bug in which visibility haze mutates unrealistically into an inpenetrable overcast. If real-world weather reports visiblity of 10 miles or less, you would get an overcast sky even when it's supposed to be clear.Note: This problem does not occur where metar visibility is in miles (such as USA, Canada).Once patched, weather.dll will behave properly. However, if you wish to restore the original file, you can do so from the repository system.Note: This update will work on both FS9 and FS9.1 (after the update)
Thanks for your response jerel2k6. Not too sure if that's the answer. I never had this problem with ASv6.5. I have an unregistered version of FSM which makes no mention of this. I'm not prepared to purchase the full version as, for me, it's not worth it.Iain Smith