Sign in to follow this  
jmbiii

Visible Airport Designators

Is there anyway of displaying nearby airport designators similar to the way traffic is displayed ?I've searched the Avsim files and some of the forums but can't find anything.I sort of thought I had a program years ago that did what I'm asking.JB

Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier !

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Is there anyway of displaying nearby airport designators similar to the way traffic is displayed ?I've searched the Avsim files and some of the forums but can't find anything.I sort of thought I had a program years ago that did what I'm asking.JB
I have not run across a utility which would display ICAO labels hile you are flying - not to say there isn't one, but if so, I have not seen it.The now unavailable FSNavigator program could display such information on it's map. There are sme other "moving map" type programs which can do that also I believe.And of course the Map function in FS2004 can display the ICAO code also. Your ATC window will allow you to see a list of nearby airports and their codes too.I realize than none of these suggestions is quite the same as seeing the "labels" on AI aircraft but then again I would think such labels on a ground facility would be almost impossible to see - if there was such a utility. :(

Thanks, David.I just found an Abacus payware program that will do it, but . . . . I'm tight.

Thanks, David.I just found an Abacus payware program that will do it, but . . . . I'm tight.
If it is the program I am thinking of, it will show labels for landmarks - I was not aware it went beyond that.

This one is called "EZ-VFR". It looks like it does what I want but, . . . . . . $ $

This one is called "EZ-VFR". It looks like it does what I want but, . . . . . . $ $
I took a look at the site and tried to DL the demo vertsion but the download process never started.I would sure want to see it in action before parting with $29. :(

If it just for situational awareness and you have a GPS on a your panel enable it to show airport symbols (with ID). I don't use the FS Garmins so I do not know if they can do this. I use the payware Reality XP Apollo 51 and it will show airport labels in the region on its map display regardless if an FP is loaded.For jets with nav displays this option exists.You can also use this facility to line you up with a difficult to see airport.

I use FSDiscover- can display airports,landmarks,rivers,lakes,cities,towns,etc.

-certified speed-junkie and jet-junkie.

For anyone interested in the FSDiscover program from Flight1, there is a free demo download available.http://www.flight1software.com/showcase/fsdiscover/That is a link for more info.This is the link to the download page:http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdiscI never did see any mention of the asking price of the full version though.If anyone is using it I would be interested in your feedback. :(

If it just for situational awareness and you have a GPS on a your panel enable it to show airport symbols (with ID). I don't use the FS Garmins . . . . . . .
Yep, I know the GPS can show the designator. What I was wanting something like this for was, I have gotten into following AI flights around using the Explorer Tool. But once you get about 50 miles from where you started following the AI you get dropped back to the original airport. So what I have been doing is guessing the AI's track and going to an airport ahead of it and going into Explorer from there and following until I need to jump ahead again. If the designator could be seen it just would be easier to get ahead of the AI. Now if there is an easier way of following an AI . . . . . . . I'd be interested. :( JB

For anyone interested in the FSDiscover program from Flight1, there is a free demo download available.
David;I just took a look at the FS Discover page. It does look interesting . . . download price is quoted at $29.95.Still tight;Joe

I have gotten into following AI flights around using the Explorer Tool. ... Now if there is an easier way of following an AI . . . . . . . I'd be interested. :( JB
If this is what you want to do, there is a freeware answer in the library called Traffic View Board. Find it here - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=55711.Hope this helps

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

If this is what you want to do, there is a freeware answer in the library called Traffic View Board. Find it here - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=55711.Hope this helps
N60JB;That looks like it's the answer. I had noticed it before but always thought it was just an "arrivals & departures" panel.I'll give it a try . . . whoops . . . site is very busy, no downloads right now.Joe