Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ashleigh Davidson

Ariane File Corruption- and some strange advice...

The price of addons are all (too)high, so not just with Ariane. Look at Flightsoft with a FS98 model selling in a box with completely new design on it. In the mdl file the FS98 modeling is still mentioned, and animated with Abacus Aircraft Animator. Still asking a price of about $ 35,--. This is still one example. There are many more examples in our FS world.>>The 737 itself may well be 'pretty', but the business practises and/or the person behind them are highly suspicious......<

"What are you looking for, a add-on or a person? I know what I want, I want a good plane, and I don't care who makes it."I am not a lawyer (although being a WAN admin, I've had to study case law on software deployment issues), nor am I in law enforcement. I don't know if Avsim's allegations are true. But if they are, then you should care who makes it. PT disrespected our community more than any other person or firm I've heard of, threatening members with lawsuits, threatening the very core of freeware. If you don't care who makes the plane, then you don't care about our community--it's that simple. That doesn't mean you should throw it in the trash--I own the GMAX 737.... But it does mean you should respect those who have issues with Ariane, and understand where they are coming from. I don't know if Ariane is in fact PT. But I do care.....

"Personal I like the cockpit better as the Dreamfleet one."Yes, but the cockpit is not included in the basic aircraft... It is extra. Add in the aircraft and the cockpit, and you have a package approaching the street price of 2k2 alone. For that price, there are far better packages out there, or coming in the near future. "I think if you have a problem with Ariane, just mail them and solve the problem."Many have seen dismal turnaround times on emailing Ariane. That's why you see people pouring into these forums seeking support. If I shell out $30-40 for software, I don't expect 24x7, but at least a 24 hour turnaround. That's not been the case for many. Why do you think that is? I believe that Ariane is simply a one man show, at least in terms of support and I suspect a large part of the development too. Buzzwords such as "development team" float around a lot on the website, but what does that prove? It's just a word, and it tends to make people think of large, sophisticated operations. No problem--turnaround time on emails should be a non-issue.The turnaround issue on emails isn't an assumption on my part. When Ariane announced an update that would be available through the "old receipts" link, I emailed Ariane asking where the heck the update was. It was more than a week before I heard a response, and the response didn't answer the question--only came up with an excuse. It was more than two months after that that something resembling a patch finally appeared in my old receipts page. The "first" update never did."For those of you thinking I am a member of Ariane design group, I am not!"Perhaps not, but you certainly cut "them" a lot of slack, and ignore the issues raised in my responses, as well as the other responses here.

I agree with you in this and I think I did not choose the good words. What I ment to say is this:When I get a good working add-on, it isn't of any interset for me to know who made it. I respect anyones opinion about this mather. But someone teached me in the passed not to put your trash out on the street. Solve it with the person/firm you have a argue with.No defending of any action in the passed, there have been things gone wrong, I am sure about that. This happened on both sites I think.I will close in this topic now, unless there is some very important message comming upT.

"I will close in this topic now, unless there is some very important message comming up"That was a very nice response, and thank you for taking the time to explain.... If you have the BBJ or any of the GMAX models, why don't you share some shots in the screenshots forum? I'm always interested in some great shots..... The BBJ has received little coverage in the screenshot forum, probably due to its only recent release.

Just to reiterate on these issues I had (since I started this thread):Firstly, I do agree that we shouldn't needlessly bad-mouth companies. No problem with that.But:1. This is the only file I have downloaded for FS that has required that I disable my firewall, as far as I can recall. I've been simming since FS4, and have downloaded about as much as one could :). Payware and freeware and everything in between.2. I still don't see the support contact e-mail address on the support page. This is a no-brainer. If someone has a problem (particularly if they've paid $$ for something), they want someone to hollar at. I think I learnt that on day 1 as business school many years ago. 3. And to further confuse the issue, an article on the support page suggests changing video card drivers in the event of installation problems (not one mention of firewalls, though). Most of us spend hours tweaking our video, and are not amused if one specific installer requires us the change that. The second thing I learnt in business school was know your customers, and anticipate what they might want. After all, they are ALWAYS right, regardless of how stupid they might sound.So- I vented here. And I also acknowledged this issue when I discovered it being at my end (firewall). I also went to the trouble of calling my credit card company to re-instate the charge, as I consider myself an honest person.Would I buy again from Ariane? I'm not that impressed with this model, but that's my personal opinion. I saw some screenshots and read a front page article on AVSIM (not the current version, but the one advertising the release), and decided to buy it. I think it's time we close this thread, IMHO.Thanks for all the comments,Bruce.

OK agree with that, and lets take the time and fly. That is what we all love to do ;-)Screenshots aren't my best side, THAT is a videocard issue many told me.T.

yea right...oh how quickly we forget. I suppose even crooks like Tishma gotta eat. If you feed him too well, he may try to take over the world of freeware again, but I guess we'll see him coming this time.I guess you all are too young to know about it, but once upon a time, Tishma tried to convince the fs world that he was the godfather of freeware! Setting up his own exclusive rights to certain logos, and brokering them to the freeware world. (of course threatening legal action whenever the least bit challenged). Lucky for all who expect freeware to be free of crap like that, Avsim took him down, and down he went. Like a bad penny, guys like this tend to surface under other names. Never again. Bob B

Guest Toni Rauch

....like "Bobbo" or "Ariane" for instance?Toni.

Guest Ashleigh Davidson

Don't forget he also tried to trademark Simulations as his idea.This from the person I understand also claims he invented add ons for the Simulator series. You people have a lot to be thankful for from the Papa.Ashleigh Davidson

Thanks for the mention! We here at PMDG are developing the pmDG 737NG series with the intent that the released airplane will be as bug free as possible. The pmDG 737NG will include custom sounds, multiple panels, a virtual cockpit and other features that make this our most intense developement effort ever. The aircraft is proceeding towards the beta test portion of development and will be available as soon as we declare it ready for prime time. Pete SterlingGraphic Artwork DeveloperPMDG

Guest Ashleigh Davidson

Hi Pete, Just seeing the parts that never made it into development was enough to convince me. Now about that bath....can we expect bobbing ducks in the water and BUBBLES....AD

Sorry, the BUBBLES cause too much of a frame rate hit :-lol and the duck feathers tend to gum up the works when the ducks get out of the bath. ;) PeteGraphic Artwork DeveloperpmDG

Guest Ashleigh Davidson

Suggest you turn off reflections, this could be the cause.... :-lol