Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSE

Asa/pmdg Md11 & S Turns - Some Observations

Guest TSE

Dear allFirst of all congratulations to Hifisim for another excellent product, ASA is simply spectacular and for sure the new frontier in FS9/FSX weather simulation.Like many other users, I face a few issues, I'm using XP64 and still get the OOM errors occasionally, however only after being airborne for 10+ hours in dense add-on scenery.My large wind shifts in ASA are pretty much under control with DWC enabled and FSUIPC wind smoothing off, however I get the S turns in the MD11 from time to time.So far I was able to bring them under control with switching from FMS SPD to manual managed MACH, however today it is extremely bad.The S turns in my case are not caused by large sudden wind direction/speed shifts but by constant, fast inductions of wind speed increases - sometimes up to 4-5 times a second - plus small changes in direction.I recorded 2 videos of the occurence, look at the speed tape and wind direction indicator.Videos of MD11 S turn occurenceI started to disable Wake turbulence, Wind turbulence, Cloud turbulence and Thermals/Vertical Air options in ASA - with everything disabled, the problem disappeared.Then started to switch on bit by bit. Here's what I observed so far.

• Thermals/Vertical Air Simulation apparently are OK - The MD11 autopilot absorbs them well
  • Cloud turbulence is OK - The MD11 the autopilot copes with it without S curves induced
  • Wind Turbulence should not be a factor as it was switched off during the recorded occurence (unless there is a bug and turbulence does not get switched off properly)

which leaves Wake Turbulence as the possible culprit which was switched on during the incident.I disabled it and did not have any further occurence so far.Can somebody confirm or add to this ? Observations might differ from system to system.ThanksJoerg

Guest onelimey
Dear allFirst of all congratulations to Hifisim for another excellent product, ASA is simply spectacular and for sure the new frontier in FS9/FSX weather simulation.Like many other users, I face a few issues, I'm using XP64 and still get the OOM errors occasionally, however only after being airborne for 10+ hours in dense add-on scenery.My large wind shifts in ASA are pretty much under control with DWC enabled and FSUIPC wind smoothing off, however I get the S turns in the MD11 from time to time.So far I was able to bring them under control with switching from FMS SPD to manual managed MACH, however today it is extremely bad.The S turns in my case are not caused by large sudden wind direction/speed shifts but by constant, fast inductions of wind speed increases - sometimes up to 4-5 times a second - plus small changes in direction.I recorded 2 videos of the occurence, look at the speed tape and wind direction indicator.Videos of MD11 S turn occurenceI started to disable Wake turbulence, Wind turbulence, Cloud turbulence and Thermals/Vertical Air options in ASA - with everything disabled, the problem disappeared.Then started to switch on bit by bit. Here's what I observed so far.
  • Thermals/Vertical Air Simulation apparently are OK - The MD11 autopilot absorbs them well
  • Cloud turbulence is OK - The MD11 the autopilot copes with it without S curves induced
  • Wind Turbulence should not be a factor as it was switched off during the recorded occurence (unless there is a bug and turbulence does not get switched off properly)

which leaves Wake Turbulence as the possible culprit which was switched on during the incident.I disabled it and did not have any further occurence so far.Can somebody confirm or add to this ? Observations might differ from system to system.ThanksJoerg

Joerg, I have the same issues with the PMDG747X as well as my default aircraft, I do S-turns all over the place. Turning DWC off and using FSUIPC wind smoothing fixed the S-Curve issues, but now I get 100 plus knot changes in airspeed changes. Apparently this was being looked into as a FSUIPC issue but haven't heard anything else.TanksAndy

Guest Mitcher

Here the same with PMDG MD11 (no other Airliner like this installed, so i can

Guest Commander

first of all, thx for your investigation with the PMDG MD11