Sign in to follow this  

Md-11: Low Res Textures With Lights On...?

When it gets dark and I turn on the lights in the MD-11 VC, I see some sort of low resolution texture appearing everywhere. I suppose this is the way to er... simulate light, but it looks rather awful. Is it supposed to look like this or is there something wrong with my setup?2u9o29u.jpg14cw753.jpg

Guest abulaafia

it's not only you, I noticed the same

Gents,as was explained to me, there was a trade off made regarding using 'high res' textures throughout the entire VC and attaining high frame rates. PMDG made a design decision that the quest for high frame rates was worth this small graphic hit.Pete 'Mac Paint'PMDG Graphic Designer

Hi there, I got the same "problem" but it seems that appears only when I use the inner smaller knob (the black one). As far as I use the outer one (grey) and the dome, I got a nice good looking light in the cockpit. itifonhom.

Hi there, I got the same "problem" but it seems that appears only when I use the inner smaller knob (the black one). As far as I use the outer one (grey) and the dome, I got a nice good looking light in the cockpit. itifonhom.
I believe they saia that this problem would be addressed when they issue a patchRon

Ron Service

Hi there,I got the same "problem" but it seems that appears only when I use the inner smaller knob (the black one). As far as I use the outer one (grey) and the dome, I got a nice good looking light in the cockpit.
Er... 'and the dome'...? I only know of two knobs for lights: the outer knob only takes care of backlightning the text on the panels (or however you call that) and the inner knob takes care of the dome (or whatever you call that). And that's indeed where you see those low res textures. But I understand the choice PMDG has made, as Pete explains. I already figured it would be something like that. Would have been nice if we had an option to choose though. :( BTW Tip of the day: did you know that doubleclicking the lightknobs (inner and outer, left and right) turns the knobs around at once? Great feature!!! So you don't have to keep the mouse pressed all the time or scroll until your finger is numb: doubleclick and the light is a 100% ON or OFF!BTW Tip of the day 2: this also works with the knobs that takes care of the display units! If you want to turn one off for some reason, just doubleclick on the appropriate button and you're done! (You all did know you can dim those DU's or even turn them off, didn't you? :( )

Er... 'and the dome'...? I only know of two knobs for lights: the outer knob only takes care of backlightning the text on the panels (or however you call that) and the inner knob takes care of the dome (or whatever you call that). And that's indeed where you see those low res textures. But I understand the choice PMDG has made, as Pete explains. I already figured it would be something like that. Would have been nice if we had an option to choose though. :(
Jeroen,not quite, the inner knob is for adjusting the backlight of the panels (text) and the outer knob for the FLOOD lighting, basically a light shining at the corresponding panel. In ADDITION there's the dome light, a light mounted at the flight deck's ceiling, same as any office lamp you could say, but not as bright for whatever reason ;)So hit the 'DOME' switch on the overhead to try this, or flip the storm light switch, this will set everything to max. brightness and will switch on the dome lighting as well.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Jeroen,not quite, the inner knob is for adjusting the backlight of the panels (text) and the outer knob for the FLOOD lighting, basically a light shining at the corresponding panel. In ADDITION there's the dome light, a light mounted at the flight deck's ceiling, same as any office lamp you could say, but not as bright for whatever reason ;)So hit the 'DOME' switch on the overhead to try this, or flip the storm light switch, this will set everything to max. brightness and will switch on the dome lighting as well.Regards,Markus
Markus,not quite (hardly dare to say this but I couldn't resist :( ,) but the OUTER knob is for adjusting the backlight of the panels (text) and the INNER knob for the FLOOD lighting, basically a light shining at the corresponding panel. :( Well, at least on MY MD-11...! Just look at the little diagram above the knobs saying PNL and FLOOD. Or try them. B) But well, it guess it also depends on what you call outer and inner of course...21o7ri9.jpgWhile typing my previous answer I had indeed forgotten about that dome push knob and mixed up dome with flood. But somehow I never noticed that stormlightswitchthingieknob: nice! Although I noticed it doesn't turn the PNL (backlights) on, just the dome and flood. And you can't use the dome and flood knobs to turn of that stormlight afterwards: it's one knob that has the same effect as turning all other ligtknobs, however you can't use the other knobs to turn off the other... hm, this is getting complicated.... Talking about complicated: how's the advanced tutorial coming on...? :(

Sorry about that, I had mixed up the inner and outer knobs... Then again lighting controls seem to be trial and error on ANY aircraft I've flown so far ;)Markus

Markus Burkhard

Captains,There is a solution to this, but it is a major performance hit. We may offer it as an optional update. We'll keep you posted.VinPMDG

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg