Sign in to follow this  
fsx_captain

Pmdg 737ng Panel

Hi there,I'm new to this forum so this is my first post.I saw some videos on you tube and got inspired. Ed or on you tube edetroit was one of the first I saw with custom made 2d cockpit panels for FS2004. I wanted panels like that for a long time ago but the problem is I don't have any gauge, coding, XML bla bla and all that stuff experience. So for me customizing panels is just minor changes to the .bmp itself. The panel I started trying "something" on is the PMDG 737. I think it is a great panel but not so realistic looking. This is the original or default PMDG 737 main 2d panel:737ngmainbackground12%38%30yo6.th.pngAnd this is the work I have done till now:pmdgpanelproject3qv0.th.jpgBecause it is just minor changes i uploaded the default so you can compare and see the changes and customization I did.But after loading it up for testing I found out that it didn't go as planned. I found myself looking at this:testru5.th.jpgSome of my minor changes where gone, and the custom paint/color I put on went back to the default color at some places. I guess this has something to do with the gauges. Is there some one that can give me a hand to just get the new color that I want to appear "everywhere", Just like in my edited picture above.And is there some one that Could provide a package that has a ready to go 2d panel moving yoke that only need copy pasting. Im planning to put one in the PMDG737NG.Thank you in advanceregards,Dinyor

Some of my minor changes where gone, and the custom paint/color I put on went back to the default color at some places. I guess this has something to do with the gauges. Is there some one that can give me a hand to just get the new color that I want to appear "everywhere", Just like in my edited picture above.
Two points:1. You are trying to display a 4:3 ratio 2d panel on a wide screen monitor (16:9 or 16:10 ratio). That is why the panel is stretched horizontally. You would need to alter the 2d panel image to a native 16:9 wide screen format (1680x1050) and change the panel.cfg entry to size_mm=1680,1050 as well.2. If I remember correctly, the PMDG 2d panel is a full-panel gauge, meaning that there are no individual sub-gauges you can move around or resize. My memory may be at fault though, and I don't own the a/c so I cannot verify...BTW, the image thumbnails will not open the full size images. I had to reformat the links to display the pics...http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7933/pm...project3qv0.jpghttp://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3005/testru5.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Epanel
Hi there,I'm new to this forum so this is my first post.I saw some videos on you tube and got inspired. Ed or on you tube edetroit was one of the first I saw with custom made 2d cockpit panels for FS2004. I wanted panels like that for a long time ago but the problem is I don't have any gauge, coding, XML bla bla and all that stuff experience. So for me customizing panels is just minor changes to the .bmp itself. The panel I started trying "something" on is the PMDG 737. I think it is a great panel but not so realistic looking. This is the original or default PMDG 737 main 2d panel:737ngmainbackground12%38%30yo6.th.pngAnd this is the work I have done till now:pmdgpanelproject3qv0.th.jpgBecause it is just minor changes i uploaded the default so you can compare and see the changes and customization I did.But after loading it up for testing I found out that it didn't go as planned. I found myself looking at this:testru5.th.jpgSome of my minor changes where gone, and the custom paint/color I put on went back to the default color at some places. I guess this has something to do with the gauges. Is there some one that can give me a hand to just get the new color that I want to appear "everywhere", Just like in my edited picture above.And is there some one that Could provide a package that has a ready to go 2d panel moving yoke that only need copy pasting. Im planning to put one in the PMDG737NG.Thank you in advanceregards,Dinyor
Hi,Get 'resource hacker' and open up the PMDGMain.gau ( i think its called that ) and edit the main bitmap from there.

Two points:1. You are trying to display a 4:3 ratio 2d panel on a wide screen monitor (16:9 or 16:10 ratio). That is why the panel is stretched horizontally. You would need to alter the 2d panel image to a native 16:9 wide screen format (1680x1050) and change the panel.cfg entry to size_mm=1680,1050 as well.
Thanks for the response. I tried this, the panel looks great but the gauges wont stai in place where they should be. :(
Hi,Get 'resource hacker' and open up the PMDGMain.gau ( i think its called that ) and edit the main bitmap from there.
Thank you for the response. It seems a great idea I'll try it it and post the result.

Guest Epanel
Thanks for the response. I tried this, the panel looks great but the gauges wont stai in place where they should be. :(Thank you for the response. It seems a great idea I'll try it it and post the result.
HiI think when you edit the main bmp from the .gau file it creates a backup - if it does, drag (not delete) the backup one (might be called 'original) to a different folder - I use my documents to drag it in.

HiI think when you edit the main bmp from the .gau file it creates a backup - if it does, drag (not delete) the backup one (might be called 'original) to a different folder - I use my documents to drag it in.
I try opening the main gauge with the resource hacker but it doesn't let me access the bitmaps it says "This file has a non-standard resource layout.. it has probably been compressed with an EXE compressor. What should I do or what am I missing?

Guest Kaiser
I try opening the main gauge with the resource hacker but it doesn't let me access the bitmaps it says "This file has a non-standard resource layout.. it has probably been compressed with an EXE compressor. What should I do or what am I missing?
Thanks fsx_captain for this topic cause i have the same problem as youi realised that the pmdg main gauge is protected and can not be edited.i made an edit for this bird ( an approch panel and some clickspot gauges an a moving yoke) if you want you can send me a PM i'll send you my work.i think the only guy who has successed to made a realistic look for the pmdg bird is the well knowlged edetroit ( i respect him very much for this work to flight simulation) i'm trying to build up my own classic 737 panel not from the scratch cause i'm not a gauge programmer but i'm in progress in this kind of work.Best regards kais

Thanks fsx_captain for this topic cause i have the same problem as youi realised that the pmdg main gauge is protected and can not be edited.i made an edit for this bird ( an approch panel and some clickspot gauges an a moving yoke) if you want you can send me a PM i'll send you my work.i think the only guy who has successed to made a realistic look for the pmdg bird is the well knowlged edetroit ( i respect him very much for this work to flight simulation) i'm trying to build up my own classic 737 panel not from the scratch cause i'm not a gauge programmer but i'm in progress in this kind of work.Best regards kais
About the yoke... I'm toatlly new please could you PM me the files... and your panel it sounds fab!regardsTheFSFreak