Sign in to follow this  
Guest nilsca

Pdfkneeboard 1.5 - Now Available For Fsx

Guest nilsca

Hi Finally I've come around to package a FSX compatible version of PDFKneeboard.From the disclaimer http://code.google.com/p/fscode/wiki/PDFKneeboard

Every serious flight-simmer eventually ends up referring to charts for their flying adventures. Whether it's a VFR sectional or more likely an approach chart for self-study or while flying under virtual ATC services (e.g. in IVAO).The best coverage and free source for those charts are PDF files available for download. Unless these pilots have a second screen to render those charts in heavyweight PDF-apps this means juggling the external application, fighting for screen estate and struggling to have flight-simulator as well as chart right at hand ... without getting into each others way.Now - imagine PDFKneeboard - this flight-sim module renders PDF documents right inside the simulator. It remembers what part of the chart the pilot is looking at (section, zoom, rotation - for each page), it lets the simulator window keep the focus, remembers opened charts and offers various kneeboard-related key and button bindings. When the important instrument approach chart is needed a simply joystick button click or hotkey brings it right back where the pilot needs it.
Installation is a little bit quirky atm - I'm working on an installer.Feedback appreciatedhttp://code.google.com/p/fscode/downloads/listCheersNils

Seems like a nice addon: I've been reading a lot of pdf's lately while flying and I hate to do it in a seperate window, without hearing the engines etc. But er... I downloaded and want to install it, but I've got no Modules directory (Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules). Maybe it's in another location...?

Guest nilsca

Hi J

I've got no Modules directory (Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules). Maybe it's in another location...?
ah, interesting - good to know - I assume FSUIPC created that directory here in my setupPlease create a module directory and take it from there - in FSX modules can pretty much reside anywhere (the dll.xml has to be adjusted accordingly as stated in the readme). I might change this for the final installer.Hope that helps - CheersNils

Yes, FSUIPC creates that directory itself when it installs the first time.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Hi Finally I've come around to package a FSX compatible version of PDFKneeboard.From the disclaimer http://code.google.com/p/fscode/wiki/PDFKneeboardInstallation is a little bit quirky atm - I'm working on an installer.Feedback appreciatedhttp://code.google.com/p/fscode/downloads/listCheersNils
Thank you very much, Nils!I was just flying today wishing I could view the pdf files for my chart and checklist in FS!

I tested your kneeboard today. It works! Very nice!After testing it some time, I've got some points:1. I use Vista and in Vista the path to the dll.xml is notC:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xmlbutC:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xmlYou might want to add that for all Vista users.2. I first tried to open the settings and FSX seemed to freeze completely. After a few seconds I discovered the kneeboard settings tab was active but BEHIND FSX. So I switched to Windows, clicked the window away and then went back into FSX: after that everything worked okay. The second time I opened the kneeboard instead of the options and this time it was okay at once.3. When I drag the kneeboard around I get this:1179t38.jpgNothing really bad because as soon as I let the kneeboard go, it's okay again. When I switch to Windows or exit FSX I see those 'ghostwindows' for a split second too and then they disappear. Seems they 'are' there all the time 'behind' FSX. No big problem, I guess, but I thought I'd mention it.4. The Ctrl-zoom options don't work. I forgot to check if they were set up the right way or if I could alter them, but since Ctrl-mousewheel does work okay, I don't care.5. Only thing I really miss, is an option to go to a specific page... I am flying the MD-11 right now and some pdf's have more than 500 pages... To get to page 400 I have to scroll them all........!!! After some time the pages aren't updated anymore, so I only see grey. Luckily the pagenumber is shown. When I start scrolling again, the pages do show up. In short: navigating the pdf could be better.6. I do like it that opening a pdf does not close the previous one(s), although I do wonder if this may hurt performance (if you open to many pdf's and forget to close them). That the kneeboard remembers the page you were at is nice too, although this can be problematic when you were at page 500 and want to go back to the contents in page 2... :( Maybe an option to turn this behaviour on or off would be a nice addition.BTW I only post this all to help, and certainly NOT to moan!!!! It's a great freebie and I like it a lot! A lot more fun than reading all the pdf's with FSX dead silent in a window on the background! It also doesn't seem to have any influence on fps, which is very nice of course. So: thanks!!! :( Up to now I hardly use charts or airport diagrams etc. etc. because I don't like to switch to Vista and look up the pdf I need etc. etc., but now I can open them, while staying in my plane and hearing the engines and ATC, and choose the ones I need, I might was well start to do that too. It makes it all a lot more realistic!

Guest gmark

Nils,Very nicely done! Great for IAP charts. Thank you.Cheers!Graham

Guest nilsca

Hi J

1. I use Vista and in Vista the path to the dll.xml is notC:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml
Thanks, I'll update the readme
2. I first tried to open the settings and FSX seemed to freeze completely. After a few seconds I discovered the kneeboard settings tab was active but BEHIND FSX. So I switched to Windows, clicked the window away and then went back into FSX: after that everything worked okay. The second time I opened the kneeboard instead of the options and this time it was okay at once.
ok, I think I can fix that - apparently I should stop the simulation before bringing up the dialog - no problem
3. When I drag the kneeboard around I get this:
ok, I can fix that as well
4. The Ctrl-zoom options don't work. I forgot to check if they were set up the right way or if I could alter them, but since Ctrl-mousewheel does work okay, I don't care.
you mean the default ctrl+= and ctrl+- keybindings? They don't do anything when being pressed? Can you assign another keystroke to zoom in/out?
5. Only thing I really miss, is an option to go to a specific page... navigating the pdf could be better.
yeah, I'll have to see what we can do about that - options1. text search (has been asked for - more work)2. bookmarks (set/go back - good for finding certain spots in pages)3. page entry (e.g. ctrl+1+2+3 for page 123)
6. I do like it that opening a pdf does not close the previous one(s), although I do wonder if this may hurt performance (if you open to many pdf's and forget to close them).
yes, there's some memory impact - pdfkneeboard does free up memory in the background though if a document hasn't been looked at for a while. Thanks for your feedback ... really appreciated :)CheersNils

I just tried it and it's pretty neat. However there are a couple of problems; for me anyway. When I go to the menu and choose Settings, with no kneeboard showing, FSX hangs. If the kneeboard is already shown then there is no hang.Open and Close work ok. Whey I press K to show the kneeboard all is ok, but when I press K again I get a white screen until it's finished closing; which seems slow, possibly 10 seconds.The aircraft show tooltips checkbox is un-checked.

Guest nilsca

Hi McCrashthanks for checking this out

When I go to the menu and choose Settings, with no kneeboard showing, FSX hangs. If the kneeboard is already shown then there is no hang.
I think I have a solution for that
Whey I press K to show the kneeboard all is ok, but when I press K again I get a white screen until it's finished closing; which seems slow, possibly 10 seconds.
hmm, is this in full-screen mode? I was playing around with fullscreen today after J's feedback and there's definitely something very slow going on ... will check.ThanksNils

you mean the default ctrl+= and ctrl+- keybindings? They don't do anything when being pressed? Can you assign another keystroke to zoom in/out?yeah, I'll have to see what we can do about that - options1. text search (has been asked for - more work)2. bookmarks (set/go back - good for finding certain spots in pages)3. page entry (e.g. ctrl+1+2+3 for page 123)
About the zoom shortcuts: my mistake: I was trying to use the Numpad keys... With the normal 0 - and = it all works. ;) One thing though: I noticed the zoom works on a one page basis! I have a 500 hundred pdf I am reading right now, and I have to zoom in on each and every page. Once zoomed in, the zoom is remembered. But it would be nice if a zoom could be set for a whole document.Another issue: I tried to open the ASA pdf (the weather simulator manual) but I only got grey pages: they never load! It does show the pages (ASA.pdf 1/61) but that's it.That Ctrl+1+2+3 would be awesome! Even better than the default Acrobat Reader way to get to a specific page. :(

nilsca, you have to be careful about assigning key presses.Many of us have changed some of the FSX default key presses.Suggestion --> It might be best to NOT have the application work until the user assigns their own key presses. Hence, setting the Settings menu entry to enabled and the rest to disabled until the settings are set.

Guest nilsca

Hi J

Once zoomed in, the zoom is remembered. But it would be nice if a zoom could be set for a whole document.
yes, good point as well - basically if you zoom page 1 to something appropriate, then following pages would be good to be zoomed to the same level if not set otherwise - should be doable
Another issue: I tried to open the ASA pdf (the weather simulator manual) but I only got grey pages: they never load! It does show the pages (ASA.pdf 1/61) but that's it.
I've just checked the manual - yes, there's a bad calculation going on - fixed and will be working in 1.6
That Ctrl+1+2+3 would be awesome! Even better than the default Acrobat Reader way to get to a specific page. :(
ok, I'll give that a tryCheersNils

Nils,Just tried out PDFKneeboard - Very handy application. Thanks very much indeed!Dave

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

Guest nilsca

Hi McCrash

careful about assigning key presses.Suggestion --> It might be best to NOT have the application work until the user assigns their own key presses. Hence, setting the Settings menu entry to enabled and the rest to disabled until the settings are set.
yeah, that's something to consider Thanks for the feedbackNils