Sign in to follow this  

Hello guys and a Happy New Year,I'm looking for a new video card. I currently have a 320mb NVIDIA 8800GTS, but it delivers too less power for my needs. My present config is this:Intel E6850 2x 3,0GHz2 GB DDR-800 RAM.My question is if my CPU can cope with the GTX260. Because if not, I would rather long for the 9800GTX+, which is less expensive but also weaker in comparison. Thank you in advance!

Hello guys and a Happy New Year,I'm looking for a new video card. I currently have a 320mb NVIDIA 8800GTS, but it delivers too less power for my needs. My present config is this:Intel E6850 2x 3,0GHz2 GB DDR-800 RAM.My question is if my CPU can cope with the GTX260. Because if not, I would rather long for the 9800GTX+, which is less expensive but also weaker in comparison. Thank you in advance!
Since you ask this on the FS forum, I suppose you want to use the card for FS (too). In that case I wouldn't spend too much money on a faster videocard: FS needs a faster CPU. A GTX260 will most certainly work, but I doubt if it will give better fps... The CPU will hold it back. Same goes for the 9800GTX+. Or any fast card.

Thank you for your input. :(Yes, I know that FS needs a fast CPU, but I've always considered the E6850 as pretty good, at least for FS9 where I mainly intend to fly with.Does it make sense to purchase an E8600? It's perfectly affordable for me, but I wonder if it will give me more FPS, when used with my current video card.

I am surprised you are having trouble in FS9 with your rig. You must run a lot of addons. FSX certianly wants the fastest CPU you can throw at it. Quad for smothness and a dual for fps. And a VC with 512mb. I will be getting a 260 gtx soon. It just has to help.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I am surprised you are having trouble in FS9 with your rig. You must run a lot of addons. FSX certianly wants the fastest CPU you can throw at it. Quad for smothness and a dual for fps. And a VC with 512mb. I will be getting a 260 gtx soon. It just has to help.Bob
Hi Bob-Don't hold your breath :( I went from a 8800GT to a 9800GTX+ and have noted little if any difference. FSX is definitely CPU bound IMHO. The new 180 nVidia drivers are working well for me tho'Mark

Guest D17S
Hi Bob-Don't hold your breath :( I went from a 8800GT to a 9800GTX+ and have noted little if any difference. FSX is definitely CPU bound IMHO. The new 180 nVidia drivers are working well for me tho'Mark
That was my experience too. With a Q at 3.6Ghz, 8800GT >> GTX260 >> 9800GTX+ made no difference at all @ 8xAA /16xAF / 1920x1080.

Well... I did it. A Q9550 and the GTX 260. I did it because I needed to upgrade my daughters computer. So I took the oportunity to get some nice stuff for my first box, C2D, 8800GT to my second box, C2D , 7900gs to her box ( had a 400mhz P4). Stll can't use the 180s(BSODs).Bob

Bob

Guest Alphahawk3
Bob, I am going to chime in here about the video card. I see you have a good CPU. I am not familiar with the 260...but am going to be as I am getting one. I went from an old P4 to an i7 920 with an 9600GT thinking that would be OK....already had the GPU...bought it for 79 bucks....great buy. My old P4 ran FSX pretty good considering...no stutters at all...very smooth landings with high settings but no autogen. I started buying the FTX series of scenery. Great stuff. It worked good on my P4 and great on my i7 920. But one thing was...is happening that at first I thought it was just the complexity of the airport from FTX...YMML..and it is complex....but my FPS at airport were in the mid teens. Flying out was smooth and once away from airport....or looking away from airport FPS returns to 30...locked at 30. All settings on max except for traffic and autogen set to dense. I was also getting for a brief second in panning a black box where a light would be ie...runway light...landing light..and then the light would show up...just lasted a second. Also when switching views sometimes from outside back to inside the VC panel or aircraft skin would be gray sometimes maybe 2 or 3 seconds before it kicked in. On my old P4 using memstatus my video mem never came close to the 512 meg on the card. On my P4 using memstatus my video mem never came close to maxing out the video ram on my old 7600GT. Now to my point. I had read a post from Nick about what video card should be minimum when using the series of i7 chips. Well I knew my 9600GT did not meet his ideas but did not have the money to buy new so I was happy with the performance and went on. Well yesterday I decided to use memstatus with the i7 920....9600GT...at YMML...and other big airports. My findings startled me. At YMML the GPU is saturated...surprised I did not get an lock up or something. While at the airport taxing and or panning around it would saturate...use all 512 meg....or use high 480 to 500 meg until leaving airport. Would get close to that at Seattle. My point is..and this is just my thought...as I am no guru on this but am computer literate....with a good CPU one can saturate an GPU that is not matched to the rest of the system. We all know one can't use an 128 meg GPU with FSX and expect it to work but I never thought I would see all 512 meg used on my video card in FSX. People told me I would not see hardly any difference in going from an 7600GT to the 9600GT on my P4 so I did not buy one...until the 7600GT finally burned out...then saw a big difference. So now I will have to spend the money to go along with the rest of what I have to get the best from my CPU. I went back to read some old posts on Avsim from about 2 years ago that folks were saying use the faster memory video card because FSX would never use 512 meg...well that is not longer the case. I guess FSX is evolving along the way just as FS9 did. I for one wil think you will see a differnce with your new card. I know I will. Regards

I put together the rig in my sig almost a week ago. Having some trouble getting things to play nicely. But in the times it works, performance is much smoother. I upgraded from an e6750 and 8800GT. Frames are higher,though not alot.Bob

Bob