Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

8pin Eps Connector Vs 4pin

I'll just go ahead and ask this question:Some of the newer boards have an 8pin EPS connector. My current power supply has only the 4pin connector.My power supply is an Antec True480 and it lists its current capabilities on the 12V line as 28 A so it should be fine for the 9800GT that I bought which wants 26 A available.My question is: Ive seen adapters that just take the standard 4 pin connectors that have always been used for hard drives and fit it to an 8pin plug for the 8pin EPS.Is that safe? are there adapters that convert the current 4pin EPS directly into an 8pin connector?Is an 8pin EPS connector even needed if Im only going to run a 65W dual core E8500?thanks in advance if you have any answers for me. I dont want to buy a new power supply if I can avoid it.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Do a web search on that connector. I found one place that says an adaptor is fine. It also said that if you had room for the overhang you can just plug the 8 pin into the 4 pin on the board. I don't know, but that is what I found.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Im just wondering if its OK to use one of the standard 4pin molex hard drive connector (with an adapter) for the 8pin EPS.I cant imagine why not. My current AGP 6800GT uses the 4pin molex to supply additional power.These MB manufacturers are just making things complicated. Theres an 8pin EPS connector and then there is an 8pin PCIe connector.I think a lot of people will get those confused.It seems to me that I should just be able to buy an adapter that takes the present 4pin EPS and doubles it to an 8pinEPS.I need to ask this question at EVGA. All of those guys must have been through this already.thanks for the reply, BTW.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

My question is: Ive seen adapters that just take the standard 4 pin connectors that have always been used for hard drives and fit it to an 8pin plug for the 8pin EPS.Is that safe? are there adapters that convert the current 4pin EPS directly into an 8pin connector?
I used this 12V Molex to 8pin P8 Adapter which uses 2 HD power connectors. I only had one 8pin connector on my PS and needed a 2nd 8pin supply for the 2nd cpu on my Intel D5400XS mb.I must say I was very leery of doing this... :( but it seems to work fine. The system has be running since April 08 and in July, I up'd the overclock to 4.02GHz (3.2 default). 12hrs Prime95 passed. What was even more important for me was the stability for chess engine competition. The gui I use is very sensitive to overclock... and of course, the engine output has to be "correct" or risk losing a game.I had completely forgotten I used one of those (out of sight, out of mind) and was happy as a clam until I saw this thread. Now am thinking... "maybe I should get that larger PS." :(