Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Strange Fsx Problem

When I last time started FSX There was a strange problem with it. If I choose a mission FSX will crash when I press the go to briefing button. I also found out that selecting a default plane in free flight result in the plane not being displayed in the preview window. But my addon planes do show up there as before. And I can start a saved flight with a default plane. This is problem that has arised without any actions from my side and remains after a reboot. I use Win XP Home and FSX SP1 UTX GEX FSGenesis mesh. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how to cure it?

Hi Folks

When I last time started FSX There was a strange problem with it. If I choose a mission FSX will crash when I press the go to briefing button.
jfri -What is the error message ?Which dll ?Have you installed Visual Studio Express 2008 ?ATBPaul

Hi Folksjfri -What is the error message ?Which dll ?Have you installed Visual Studio Express 2008 ?ATBPaul
The HD led start flashing and after a while also my two optical units then a message saying FSX has to be terminated with the otion to send or not send an error report. No specific errormessage.But in my system logbook I see several entries for errors, source: sidebyside eventid 59 and 32 and further information mentionfsuipc4.dll and some mention about Simconnect and a package not being installed. Also by clicking a link a sxs.dll is mentioned in the errorinfo.I have tried the FSX DVD and performed a repair which was reported as being successfull. I also tried reinstalling FSUIPC4.Yes I have Visual Studio Express 2008 express edition C++ installed.

Hi Folksjfri -The error message specifically tells you which dll & version caused the crash.Please check again before proceeding further.An FSX repair or reinstalling FSUIPC4will have no effect whatsoever.The cause is a newer .NET dllinstalled as part of the SQLServer componentof Visual Studio Express 2008.Expected error is for -MFC80.DLL v1833Please confirm you have a folder named -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1833_x-ww_2fd6f5dbHTHATBPaul

Hi Folksjfri -The error message specifically tells you which dll & version caused the crash.Please check again before proceeding further.An FSX repair or reinstalling FSUIPC4will have no effect whatsoever.The cause is a newer .NET dllinstalled as part of the SQLServer componentof Visual Studio Express 2008.Expected error is for -MFC80.DLL v1833Please confirm you have a folder named -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1833_x-ww_2fd6f5dbHTHATBPaul
I first get a window Microsoft Flight Simulator X - A fatal error occuredI can examine the content of the errorreportErrorsignatureAppname fsx.exe Appver 10.0.61355.0Modname mfc80.dll Modver 8.0.50727.1833so yes it is as you expect.I do have the folder you mentionBoth FSX and Visual Studio is from MS shouldn't they work together?

Hi Folksjfri -Still awaiting an official MS response on how to fix this.Here's a dirty unofficial workaround, (credit to DL).Implement entirely at your own risk. :( In the Services MMC.Stop the 5 services named SQL WHATEVER.I'm sure there was another SQL related servicebut I can't spot it ATM.In file-manager/explorer.Go to -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1833_x-ww_2fd6f5dbCreate a new subfolder named -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1833_x-ww_2fd6f5db\ORIGINALSMove the 4 DLLs into the new subfolder.Go to -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_3bf8fa05Copy the 4 DLLs from there.Go to -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1833_x-ww_2fd6f5dbPaste the 4 DLLs into there.Reboot.Launch FSX.Try starting a mission.Should now work ok.HTHATBPaul

Hi Folksjfri -Still awaiting an official MS response on how to fix this.Here's a dirty unofficial workaround, (credit to DL).Implement entirely at your own risk. :( In the Services MMC.Stop the 5 services named SQL WHATEVER.I'm sure there was another SQL related servicebut I can't spot it ATM.In file-manager/explorer.Go to -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1833_x-ww_2fd6f5dbCreate a new subfolder named -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1833_x-ww_2fd6f5db\ORIGINALSMove the 4 DLLs into the new subfolder.Go to -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_3bf8fa05Copy the 4 DLLs from there.Go to -C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1833_x-ww_2fd6f5dbPaste the 4 DLLs into there.Reboot.Launch FSX.Try starting a mission.Should now work ok.HTHATBPaul
What is the risk? Could we not just restart the services and move back the files if things don't turn out as expected?I only saw five SQL services and only two of them was started on my system.My source folder has no 762 in iy but instead 42

Guest JasonPegg

Thank you, basys / Paul for the workaround! My directory structure was SLIGHTLY different (C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_none_0c178a139ee2a7ed and C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1833_none_cbf00aee470f5fb7 respectively), but otherwise the workaround was great.Thank you!Jason Pegg

Guest Sven2157

My original post is located here: FSX Missions: Go to Briefing "Fatal"GOOD NEWS!First of all, sorry it took so long to get back with everyone on this issue! Now...IT WORKED!As I have stated above, I am running Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008 Express editions. I too, had the "FATAL ERROR" when trying to go to the briefing of the FSX missions.This is caused by the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update from Microsoft. Well, what is happening?... Good Question! The original MFC80.DLL that FSX was built with, contains ActiveX Control features that are "bumping heads" with the newest version of the MFC80.dll. When you click the "Go to Briefing" button in FSX, the MFC80.dll tries to call the .NET Framework ActiveX controls, so you may maneuver through the different tabs for the mission. However, the newest version of the MFC80.DLL is not compatible with the older version. Thus returning a "A fatal error has occurred." What the hell does ALL that mean? That means look below and get the fix! Though this is related to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, it is advised that you leave this installed, and resolve the issue with one of the simple solutions below!FOR VISUAL STUDIO, ANY EDITION, USERSUnfortunately you have to call Microsoft, 1-800-Microsoft, to obtain the hotfix for your FATAL. Tell them it is in reference to "Article KB958036". They will email you the fix; it took about 5 minutes for me.I cannot post the fix here for several reasons: First, the hotfix is PASSWORD protected, so I don't want to break any laws that may be associated with M$ and the fix. Secondly, I use Vista Ultimate SP1, I have 2 versions of Visual Studio on my PC, etc, etc. So our systems may require a different version of the hotfix.FOR ALL OTHER USERS WITH THE .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 SP1You can download the updated version of the Visual C++ Redistributable from HERE. This is in reference to "Article KB961894".Hope this helps all... :( Sven2157