Sign in to follow this  
C09G

Help On Cpu Best For Fsx?

Hi, I've been a big fan of aviation simulation. I've tended to spend hundreds on accessory's for flight simulators. My issue is that my PC can't handle FSX on high.Which CPU do you claim that can run FSX on ultra high? O/C is fine because I know how to.Q9550 to 4ghz?E8400/E8500/E8600 to 4ghz?(List a CPU you recommend) :( I've My Traffic X big frame eater and PMDG's products. :( I wanted at least 20fps on ground And if you have a gaming rig that can handle FSX on ultra high, please leave your specs for me to think on which CPU to choose. :( -Vincent

Hi, I've been a big fan of aviation simulation. I've tended to spend hundreds on accessory's for flight simulators. My issue is that my PC can't handle FSX on high.Which CPU do you claim that can run FSX on ultra high? O/C is fine because I know how to.Q9550 to 4ghz?E8400/E8500/E8600 to 4ghz?(List a CPU you recommend) :( I've My Traffic X big frame eater and PMDG's products. :( I wanted at least 20fps on ground And if you have a gaming rig that can handle FSX on ultra high, please leave your specs for me to think on which CPU to choose. :( -Vincent

Hi,I have an 8600 Wolfdale I just got two months ago to replace my 6700 and I havent regreted it one bit. It easily overclocks to 4ghz with just the stock cooling fan. Ive read about people going much, much higher with it using more advanced cooling methods, but have not tried that myself since FSX runs full bore for me at 4.0 and FPS stay pegged at 25.(which is what its locked at.) I have everything maxed except ground scenery shadow, which I leave off. I just bought Black Shark (helicopter game) and it also runs with max settings and fluid frame rates. (I dont know how to display FPS on that one yet. Anyhow, with a 10x multiplier it overclocks with ease. For the best bang for the buck, you can't bet it. Bob

Hi,I have an 8600 Wolfdale I just got two months ago to replace my 6700 and I havent regreted it one bit. It easily overclocks to 4ghz with just the stock cooling fan. Ive read about people going much, much higher with it using more advanced cooling methods, but have not tried that myself since FSX runs full bore for me at 4.0 and FPS stay pegged at 25.(which is what its locked at.) I have everything maxed except ground scenery shadow, which I leave off. I just bought Black Shark (helicopter game) and it also runs with max settings and fluid frame rates. (I dont know how to display FPS on that one yet. Anyhow, with a 10x multiplier it overclocks with ease. For the best bang for the buck, you can't bet it. Bob
So E8600 @ 4GHZ , FSX ULTRA HIGH? and constant 25 fps. That is impressive! Did the rendering time take long?-Vincent

Let me put in a little imput here...I just built this system a while ago.Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition1TB, 150GB, and 300GB Hard DrivesIntel Core i7 Extreme 965 @ 3.2 GHz12GB OCZ Platnium DDR3 1333 RAMATI (MSI) Radeon HD 4870x2 OC EditionGigabyte EX58-UD5 MotherboardThermaltake Toughpower 1200 Watt Power SupplyIf it can't run FSX with good FPS, nothing will. I just hope it will work this year, I've had so many problems with this system since I originally put it together in April with a QX9650 and an x48. :(

Plainplane,I've saw a FSX video. The owner had a i7 @4ghz,12gb ddr3, and mind blowing graphics.There wasn't a single lag and it was so smooth at ultra high settings.My opinion, the i7 isn't worth the upgrade until the prices are gone down. :( -Vincent

Plainplane,I've saw a FSX video. The owner had a i7 @4ghz,12gb ddr3, and mind blowing graphics.There wasn't a single lag and it was so smooth at ultra high settings.My opinion, the i7 isn't worth the upgrade until the prices are gone down. :( -Vincent
That is good to know. :( One of the main purposes of my machine is to make videos.

Let me put in a little imput here...I just built this system a while ago.Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition1TB, 150GB, and 300GB Hard DrivesIntel Core i7 Extreme 965 @ 3.2 GHz12GB OCZ Platnium DDR3 1333 RAMATI (MSI) Radeon HD 4870x2 OC EditionGigabyte EX58-UD5 MotherboardThermaltake Toughpower 1200 Watt Power SupplyIf it can't run FSX with good FPS, nothing will. I just hope it will work this year, I've had so many problems with this system since I originally put it together in April with a QX9650 and an x48. :(
I would stay away from the ATI 4870X2 for FSX. The performance with it is sub-par.Stick with a single gpu card solution. FSX does not take advantage of the other gpu onboard the 4870X2.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

On my XP system, I tried the 4870 1G card not long ago...it really stunk on performance. Had the latest catalyst drivers and tried every setting in the control panel to get decent graphics. It wouldn't handle AA well at all...unlike the Nvidia/nHancer combo. Plus, FS9 loaded much slower with the 4870. Don't know why, but it did. I didn't even attempt booting to FSX on another HD to try it out. Anyway, I really needed at least 1000W PSU to run this card with an overclocked CPU and 2 HDs. So, I unplugged the 4870 and sent it back to Mwave.com for a refund. Put the trusty 8800GT 512Mb card back in and all is well. Now I'm eyeballing the 280GTX 1G card :( Of course I'll get a heftier PSU at the same time.

On my XP system, I tried the 4870 1G card not long ago...it really stunk on performance. Had the latest catalyst drivers and tried every setting in the control panel to get decent graphics. It wouldn't handle AA well at all...unlike the Nvidia/nHancer combo. Plus, FS9 loaded much slower with the 4870. Don't know why, but it did. I didn't even attempt booting to FSX on another HD to try it out. Anyway, I really needed at least 1000W PSU to run this card with an overclocked CPU and 2 HDs. So, I unplugged the 4870 and sent it back to Mwave.com for a refund. Put the trusty 8800GT 512Mb card back in and all is well. Now I'm eyeballing the 280GTX 1G card :( Of course I'll get a heftier PSU at the same time.
That is pretty much how the 4870X2 runs in FSX. Since FSX is unable to take advantage of both gpus, I believe you essentially get a 4870.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Hmmm...The main reason I switched from NVidia to ATI is because of the antialiasing problem I have been having with NVidia cards. Even with NHancer I couldn't get perfect antialiasing that I had with the older NVidia products.Now I hope I didn't make a mistake by switching to ATI but I have got reports of good performance so I will see for myself soon.

I'm sorry to say the Gateway system I bought lasted all but a week then started giving off BSOD's right and left. I returned it and am getting set up to build a system from scratch, maybe this weekend or next. The good news for me is given the specs I had and a fairly weak graphics card, FS-X was still pure heaven. I loaded up Tileproxy and had some beautiful flights with it, all at a gravy smooth 30 fps. What graphics concessions did I make? I kept water at 2x-low, and kept traffic around 50 pct, and turned the aircraft "shadows on self" feature off. I have a series of screenshots in the screenshots forum I posted over the past week.The key components of the system were:
  • [*]Intel

Guest TSE

Be careful with the 4870x2 and FSX - it gave me quiet bad performance in clouds (however was performing good when there were no clouds around).I downgraded to a normal 4870 again and get quiet good performance with almost all sliders maxed.ThanksJoerg

I'm sorry to say the Gateway system I bought lasted all but a week then started giving off BSOD's right and left. I returned it and am getting set up to build a system from scratch, maybe this weekend or next. The good news for me is given the specs I had and a fairly weak graphics card, FS-X was still pure heaven. I loaded up Tileproxy and had some beautiful flights with it, all at a gravy smooth 30 fps. What graphics concessions did I make? I kept water at 2x-low, and kept traffic around 50 pct, and turned the aircraft "shadows on self" feature off. I have a series of screenshots in the screenshots forum I posted over the past week.The key components of the system were:
  • [*]Intel