Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike_n_ike

Fog From Above

Guest Mike_n_ike

Hey guys!So right now i'm doing a flight from Ontario International to San Fransisco International and currently I'm at cruise. When I took off from Ontario I was really in the soup. Visibility was down to about 2 miles, which was real world judging from looking out my bedroom window. However, once I got about the broken layer and looked down, the ground was as clear as day. My question is why doesen't FS model the fog layer from above? I know that in real life from above the fog is indeed visible. Also, is there a way to make the fog visual from above?Thanks a lot!-Mike-N34299-

Hi,Because after about 10K FS04 drops the layer.Thanks,

Mr. Skorna, is AS6.5 capable of putting it back? I mean if its soupy, can AS6 make it look soupy say 30 miles out? I had the exact opposite issue today. I was on approach and thought the coast was clear when all of a sudden I was in soup. That's with AS6.5 running.

Hi,Jim is fine!This is the opposite of the OP. You are above the layer and can't see it until you descend.If it is a fog layer we can put that in.If it is a low visibility layer, we can't force FS to keep that layer drawn.You need to watch the METAR data and if visibility is less than 10 SM, prepare yourself for this layer to be drawn as you near 10K.Thanks!

Hi,Jim is fine!This is the opposite of the OP. You are above the layer and can't see it until you descend.If it is a fog layer we can put that in.If it is a low visibility layer, we can't force FS to keep that layer drawn.You need to watch the METAR data and if visibility is less than 10 SM, prepare yourself for this layer to be drawn as you near 10K.Thanks!
Roger, thanks Jim. BTW, I can use the support group from now on. Most of the posts are ASA related but I will post there re: AS6.

Does FSX solve this problem, or does it do the same thing?

Does FSX solve this problem, or does it do the same thing?
Both FS9 and FSX handle visibility the same way, in "layers" so thus both sims can take on the same appearance. I've always manipulated the vis. layer manually by extending it to 99,999 feet. Not always realistic. but it helps when one is expecting to see murky or hot and humid skies.Regards.John