Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Wifi Network- How To Be Able To Keep Logged On?

I have a new Wifi 802.11n network which so far is working well, but with a few questions. I have 2 PC's (WinXP), neither of which natively support Wifi, so I have added a Sabrent USB-802N Wireless 802.11n USB adaptor to both of them. Network connectivity is good. However, unlike a Vista laptop and a new iMac, the PC's seem to need a log-in to the Wifi network once they are re-started. I have a WPA /WPA2 key for network security, which may be a part of the need to log in every time.Is there a way to make the PC log in automatically? if there is, I'm not sure if this is a function of the XP system (Wifi properties), or on the Wifi adaptors. I think that a part of the reason that the iMac logs in automatically is that the base station is an Airport Extreme (Apple product), so when setting it up through the iMac the security settings are saved in the key chain.Thanks for any help,Bruce.PS. Am I the first poster in this forum?

I think you should be able to configure it in XP's wireless network settings by adding it as a favorite network and setting it to connect automatically.This link may help you.
Thanks Plainplane,I appreciate your reply. I have been looking on the 'net also for answers, and have deduced that I do not have Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) functioning- apparently due to the fact that the USB adaptor has it's own software. I can open the adpator s/w (RaLink) but as yet can not find any clues to configuring for automatic logins.Thanks- any further help would be most appreciated :)Bruce.Edit: PS- Just found the RaLink utility supplied that kets me select WZC, which I have just done- now maybe I can take this another step. I'll go to your limk- thanks!!Bruce.

I'm glad to help.Unfortunately I too have been stumped by USB adapters and automatic wireless. I was trained about integrated wireless devices and using the integrated Windows tools but when makers of plug-in adapters create their own software, it gets tricky.I once had a USB wireless adapter, but it only connected randomly or after a long period of time even when everything was configured properly, because the included software by NetGear was buggy.

Two things to think about. I have done both of these with my Linksys usb adapter.1. Linksys puts an icon in the taskbar. Right click on the icon and select the option to let Window manage wireless connections.OrB. Uninstall the adapter in Device Manager. Copy adapter software to a folder on the HDD. Plug in the adapter and let Windows install, pointing to that folder. Both methods have worked for me, and make the adapter work like it is built in.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Two things to think about. I have done both of these with my Linksys usb adapter.1. Linksys puts an icon in the taskbar. Right click on the icon and select the option to let Window manage wireless connections.OrB. Uninstall the adapter in Device Manager. Copy adapter software to a folder on the HDD. Plug in the adapter and let Windows install, pointing to that folder. Both methods have worked for me, and make the adapter work like it is built in.Bob
Thanks PP (again) and Bob,Bob- I found that I could right click on the Ralink icon in the taskbar and do exactly how you describe in 1. above. What I didn't know until I read it on the web (useless manual comes with this USB WiFi hardware) is that I need to reboot first after installing the WiFi adaptor.Thansk again, I really appreciate the help from both of you.Bruce.