Sign in to follow this  
Guest danc444

757 Load Editor

John,I followed the Tweak link and saw it was for tweakfs for fsx. Since I run both fsx and fs9 should I look for an fs9 version as well and install both?Thanks.Dan
Just scroll down the page to the FS9 utilities and download that one!John

Guest danc444

OK. Here's where we are. I reinstalled the 757 and all works perfectly except, of course, the load editor. It can't find the FS9 installation path, still. I ran first the Tweak, then the Flight1 utility and no luck. In fact the Tweak utility does tell me that the path to fs9 was found under HKEY local machine, but with no furthur breakdown of its location.Those are the facts, now I'll go out on a limb. I believe that the load editor is looking for the path under HKEY local machine\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9, because that's where it used to be under XP. Using regedit I find this path does not exist. In fact, there's no HKEY local machine\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames at all.The path lies instead in HKEY local machine\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9.My guess is that this is why load editor can't find the path.Also, this seems like the issue you were trying to address in the July thread I referred to earlier.Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks.Dan

Just scroll down the page to the FS9 utilities and download that one!John

OK. Here's where we are. I reinstalled the 757 and all works perfectly except, of course, the load editor. It can't find the FS9 installation path, still. I ran first the Tweak, then the Flight1 utility and no luck. In fact the Tweak utility does tell me that the path to fs9 was found under HKEY local machine, but with no furthur breakdown of its location.Those are the facts, now I'll go out on a limb. I believe that the load editor is looking for the path under HKEY local machine\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9, because that's where it used to be under XP. Using regedit I find this path does not exist. In fact, there's no HKEY local machine\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames at all.The path lies instead in HKEY local machine\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9.My guess is that this is why load editor can't find the path.Also, this seems like the issue you were trying to address in the July thread I referred to earlier.Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks.Dan
I think that we might be on the wrong track; We have to try a process of elimination - as above, just confirm that you have given the .exe file Vista administrator rights {see the PMDG ref I gave}.JohnJohn

Guest danc444

Yes I did. Even turned UAC off.

I think that we might be on the wrong track; We have to try a process of elimination - as above, just confirm that you have given the .exe file Vista administrator rights {see the PMDG ref I gave}.JohnJohn

Dan,Does the 757 fuel planner work for you?What version of Net Framework do you have installed?John

Further - can you set the load edit .exe file to run in a compatibility mode for XP??I also have another lead I am investigating at the moment.John

Guest danc444

The fuel planned does work. I have both 1.1 and 3.5 installed.

Dan,"Those are the facts, now I'll go out on a limb. I believe that the load editor is looking for the path under HKEY local machine\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9, because that's where it used to be under XP. Using regedit I find this path does not exist. In fact, there's no HKEY local machine\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames at all.The path lies instead in HKEY local machine\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9.My guess is that this is why load editor can't find the path."Looking further into the PMDG forums, I found a thread in which a Vista user confirmed that he had to manually insert the relevant EXE entry into this branch:HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0because the tweakFS/Flight1 utilities had not worked. He did not say whether he initially had the basic HKEY local machine\software\ etc branch or not. Notice no mention of the Wow6432Node entry.However, checking a Vista help site confirmed that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE should exist in a Vista installation.Therefore, manually inserting a:\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9entry without the Wow6432node folder might be the answer.It is easy to use REGEDIT to insert this entry but I must give a HEALTH WARNING. I do not have Vista and have gleaned the above from other forums and web sites so I cannot confirm that this works or how it might affect your individual machine. If you try it, ensure you have backed up the registry and have a restore point set.Post if you have any questionsJohn

Guest danc444

I agree with your assessment and advice. As I stated earlier, I tried tat once, and it did seem to solve the path problem, but the it said the load editor was not working and needs to be shut down.I think I made a mistake in editing the registry and I wonder if you or any of your sources can take me through it.Thanks.

Dan,"Those are the facts, now I'll go out on a limb. I believe that the load editor is looking for the path under HKEY local machine\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9, because that's where it used to be under XP. Using regedit I find this path does not exist. In fact, there's no HKEY local machine\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames at all.The path lies instead in HKEY local machine\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9.My guess is that this is why load editor can't find the path."Looking further into the PMDG forums, I found a thread in which a Vista user confirmed that he had to manually insert the relevant EXE entry into this branch:HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0because the tweakFS/Flight1 utilities had not worked. He did not say whether he initially had the basic HKEY local machine\software\ etc branch or not. Notice no mention of the Wow6432Node entry.However, checking a Vista help site confirmed that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE should exist in a Vista installation.Therefore, manually inserting a:\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftGames\FS9entry without the Wow6432node folder might be the answer.It is easy to use REGEDIT to insert this entry but I must give a HEALTH WARNING. I do not have Vista and have gleaned the above from other forums and web sites so I cannot confirm that this works or how it might affect your individual machine. If you try it, ensure you have backed up the registry and have a restore point set.Post if you have any questionsJohn

I agree with your assessment and advice. As I stated earlier, I tried tat once, and it did seem to solve the path problem, but the it said the load editor was not working and needs to be shut down.I think I made a mistake in editing the registry and I wonder if you or any of your sources can take me through it.Thanks.
Dan,I don't think you have tried what I suggested. But I am very happy tp take you through it step by step. Two questions:1. Where are you - I am in UK on ZULU time and we need to coordinate when we can be on line together?2. Do you have access to another computer so that we can chat whilst you try something?John

Guest danc444

I went for it, edited the registry, and it worked. Thanks for all your help.In case anyone else has the issue, here's what I did:1) To HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft I added a key called Microsoft Games.2) To HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games I added a key called Flight Simulator.3) To HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator I added a key called 9.0.4) Then I right-clicked on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0 and selected New then String Value and name it EXE Path.5) Finally, I right clicked on EXE Path and selected Modify and typed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\ and voila it worked.Thanks for all your help. You were very patient.BTW, I'm in the US eastern time zone. Florida to be exact.

BTW, I'm in the US eastern time zone. Florida to be exact.
Lucky you! You should try the UK winter at the moment!Anyway, very well done - glad we got there in the end.Best WishesJohn

Guys,Just want to confirm. I was seeing the same problem. The Load Editor could not find the path as described in page one. The problem, in my limited understanding is this. With Vista 64, the OS keeps a "shadow copy" of the registry for 32-bit apps in the "Wow6432Node" branch under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. In theory, the OS is supposed to intercept any requests for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for 32-bit apps and redirect it to the Wow6432Node branch instead. This is all supposed to be invisible to the application and give the appearance that everything is in the same location as it was in the 32-bit versions of Windows (Vista and XP).For some reason, Vista-64 is not rerouting the registry lookup for the 757 Load Editor. As a result, it's looking in the registry branches that are intended for the 64 bit applications and is not finding the key. That's why you're finding the EXE Path variable under the Wow6432Node. As suggested in the previous posts, if you manually add the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0 key path and then the EXE Path variable it will work. Essentially, you're manually adding a key path into the 64-bit application section that should otherwise be in the 32-bit section (Wow6432Node). BTW, "Wow" stands for "Windows-on-Windows". Brief info on Wow6432Node can be found here and of course via google search on Wow6432Node.http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/...try-subkey.htmlHope this helps,Tom

Guys,Just want to confirm. I was seeing the same problem. The Load Editor could not find the path as described in page one. The problem, in my limited understanding is this. With Vista 64, the OS keeps a "shadow copy" of the registry for 32-bit apps in the "Wow6432Node" branch under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. In theory, the OS is supposed to intercept any requests for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for 32-bit apps and redirect it to the Wow6432Node branch instead. This is all supposed to be invisible to the application and give the appearance that everything is in the same location as it was in the 32-bit versions of Windows (Vista and XP).For some reason, Vista-64 is not rerouting the registry lookup for the 757 Load Editor. As a result, it's looking in the registry branches that are intended for the 64 bit applications and is not finding the key. That's why you're finding the EXE Path variable under the Wow6432Node. As suggested in the previous posts, if you manually add the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0 key path and then the EXE Path variable it will work. Essentially, you're manually adding a key path into the 64-bit application section that should otherwise be in the 32-bit section (Wow6432Node). BTW, "Wow" stands for "Windows-on-Windows". Brief info on Wow6432Node can be found here and of course via google search on Wow6432Node.http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/...try-subkey.htmlHope this helps,Tom
Just wanted to add one more note to my last post. The TweakFS utility doesn't fix the problem here. The OS redirects the key lookup to the Wow6432Node branch and gives the appearance that the "EXE Path" key and value are setup properly. This has to be done through regedit.Tom

Guest Roscow550i

Thanks everyone who has posted, i have had this problem for a long time and its been annoying me, i followed your guide and it worked.Thanks Alot. Ross

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.