Sign in to follow this  

Anything I Can Do To Get Rid Of The Awful Horizons?

Guest RichUK
Thanks, Rich. How to start FSX in the same batch?Dirk.
cd pathtoyourfsxinstallationherestart fsx.exefor example:cd c:\program files\microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator xstart fsx.exe

Gave the Soft Horizons a try today... AWESOME! Thanks, John! This is what I've been looking for for a long. long time!!! This will stay on my HD as long as FSX will!

Gave the Soft Horizons a try today... AWESOME! Thanks, John! This is what I've been looking for for a long. long time!!! This will stay on my HD as long as FSX will!
Thanks, I am glad it worked for you! However there's a thread in the screenshots forum that might be of interest--something even Soft Horizons cannot fix when vis. drops below 10 miles. I discuss a partial solution but IMHO I think it's a glaring bug we'll probably be indefinitely stuck with now.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=242356Regards,John

Guest ThrottleUp
post-100078-1233114368.jpgWow John....sorry to go off-topic but may I ask what ground scenery you are using? My fields dont look like that :( And yes thank you as always for Soft Horizons! :(

Man, I'm so happy with this fix...! Those awfull horizons really spoiled the reality for me! Once I noticed how bad it looked, I couldn't stop looking at it. That's the way it works. :( But now everything looks just awesome!27x454z.jpg2m5nq5f.jpgIsn't it great?!? Sorry for thanking you again, John, but you really mademe very happy! :(

I feel the exact same way - once I noticed the distinct horizons I also could not help but see them every time I took to the air. Became very frustrating after a while. Just happy that I came across the file, would have been very easy to miss it.Thanks again John! PS: Do shout loudly if you come up with any other gems like this one!Konrad

Konrad

Wow John....sorry to go off-topic but may I ask what ground scenery you are using? My fields dont look like that :( And yes thank you as always for Soft Horizons! :(
That's Tileproxy scenery. I'm using an edited proxyuser.ini which leverages the quad cores and allows for a fairly seamless photoreal scenery out about 30 miles or so in flight, and it stays consistently updated. Soft Horizons helps blend in any distant, mismatched textures. I flew the entire route (Napa to Phoenix) with Tileproxy running and its photoreal textures all the way.Regards,John

Guest ThrottleUp
That's Tileproxy scenery
Thanks for the info. When I find some time I'll crawl out from under my rock and check this out!

I have hated that hard horizon line for a long time, and just happened across this. I've read the thread, but just to be clear... if using this with any 3rd part app that provides an alternate sky theme (like FEX or REX) do you first go into the setup for that 3rd party app, and disable any sky themes, then install the above soft horizons? If that's the case, this is a trade-off of any 3rd party coloured sky themes (be they blue/sunrises/sunsets etc) for a nice soft horizon. Is this accurate?If so, it sounds like a worthy trade-off to me.

I have hated that hard horizon line for a long time, and just happened across this. I've read the thread, but just to be clear... if using this with any 3rd part app that provides an alternate sky theme (like FEX or REX) do you first go into the setup for that 3rd party app, and disable any sky themes, then install the above soft horizons? If that's the case, this is a trade-off of any 3rd party coloured sky themes (be they blue/sunrises/sunsets etc) for a nice soft horizon. Is this accurate?If so, it sounds like a worthy trade-off to me.
It's a trade-off indeed, but to me it's more than worth it! And btw you still get sunrises and sunsets: you just won't be able to choose different colors and effects: you will have to get used to the ones this fix is giving you.BTW You do not have to run FEX (or REX) in order to disable any themes: this soft horizon fix simply let's you overwrite the sky textures that are active right now: it doesn't matter if these are FSX default or FEX or REX. (FEX and REX do not add anything to FSX when you install themes: they simply replace the original textures with new ones, and so does this fix! No matter how often you run FEX and REX to install new themes, the amount and names of the texture files are always exactly the same!). However, if you want to run FEX or REX after installing the soft horizon fix, you will have to disable the installing of sky themes in those programs, otherwise the soft horizon textures will be overwritten by the FEX or REX ones. (If this happens by accident, you can of course simply reinstall the soft horizon textures.)

It's a trade-off indeed, but to me it's more than worth it! And btw you still get sunrises and sunsets: you just won't be able to choose different colors and effects: you will have to get used to the ones this fix is giving you.BTW You do not have to run FEX (or REX) in order to disable any themes: this soft horizon fix simply let's you overwrite the sky textures that are active right now: it doesn't matter if these are FSX default or FEX or REX. (FEX and REX do not add anything to FSX when you install themes: they simply replace the original textures with new ones, and so does this fix! No matter how often you run FEX and REX to install new themes, the amount and names of the texture files are always exactly the same!). However, if you want to run FEX or REX after installing the soft horizon fix, you will have to disable the installing of sky themes in those programs, otherwise the soft horizon textures will be overwritten by the FEX or REX ones. (If this happens by accident, you can of course simply reinstall the soft horizon textures.)
Thanks for that, very helpful. I think I can live without fancy sky colours and effects if it means I can get rid of that nasty horizon. :)