Sign in to follow this  

Md-11: Two Minor Things

1. I wonder why I can set the parking brakes by clicking on it, but not release it the same way... I have to press the . on my keyboard! I would like to be able to release it in VC itself.2. Is there anyway to set the stab from within the VC? Right now I use the Home and End keys, but again: I'd like to do this in the VC itself. The more I can do in the VC, the more I like it! :( I can do everything in the VC, so I wonder why not these two...

Hey1. In the real aircraft the parking brake is released by depressing the brake pedals, its not the pull up, twist and push down type.2. You can move the stab trim by moving the "suitcase" handles on the left side of the pedestal

The mouse on the stab trib handle (next to parking brake lever) is how to adjust stab trim in the VC.I always tap my brakes to release parking, there is a method in the VC (I think) but I don't recall.

Dan Downs KCRP

I always tap my brakes to release parking, there is a method in the VC (I think) but I don't recall.
Dan,I don't think there is. We model the parking brake to be released exactly as on the real aircraft by pressing the pedals. If you don't have any pedals attached to your PC you do it by whatever replacement you use for this, normally the . - key. Others have the brakes on a joystick button so this will work as well.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

That is right, I remember this discussion around B2-3 for FSX. I too tap the brake button on the joystick. Thanks for the reminder.

Dan Downs KCRP

1. Aaaaah, okay! Clear! Cool! I already wondered why PMDG 'overlooked' this, hahaha!2. Aaaaah, okay! Clear! Cool again! I have to say I never understood that handle (it is one handle, right?) because as soon as I tried to turn it, it would reset to the middle. But now I see that A. after setting the trim it always resets to the middle and B. you have to move your mouse along with it while scrolling with the middle mouse button. When you keep the mouse above it and start to scroll without moving the mouse along, the mouse will lose er... contact with the handle and it will reset before you are done. I guess I'd better use the left and right click and HOLD method to set it. Completely forgot about those handles... But I understand them now.BTW I have knobs on my joystick setup for trim but I didn't realize it was the stab trim in the MD-11...! Stupid me. I wonder though why the handles don't move when I press me trim keys... I see the stab change on the SD: shoulnd't the handle move too? Just like all other handles move when you press the control for it on they keyboard or joystick...?Anyway, now I know EVERYTHING can be done from within the VC itself, apart from releasing the parking brake (and braking itself).While I am at it: what I would really like to see added in a patch is the option to click the flaps handle! I'd like that very much. 1. Seems more real and 2. it's easier to do from the left seat. All other levers and handles are moved by clicking on them (afaik), but only the flap handle is moved by clicking on the spotwhere you want it to move to. Feels a bit weird. And as said, it's not always easy to do, even though I have TrackIR (couldn't fly the MD-11 without it!) So I always use the F6 en F7 keys (or the ones on my joystick). But I like to do everything from the VC if possible...EDIT:Come to think of it: I always do throttle with the throttle on my joystick and reversethrust with two buttons, because I can't use the handles in the VC: when I do I only turn one instead of all. Is there a way to let one click use them all?

BTW I have knobs on my joystick setup for trim but I didn't realize it was the stab trim in the MD-11...! Stupid me. I wonder though why the handles don't move when I press me trim keys... I see the stab change on the SD: shoulnd't the handle move too? Just like all other handles move when you press the control for it on they keyboard or joystick...?
No, those handles don't move unless you move them yourself with your hand. What you do by pressing the buttons on your joystick or yoke you are using the trim switches located on the yoke itself. If you look at the yoke in the VC you see them right next to the autopilot disconnect button. THAT is the primary way of moving the STAB TRIM on the MD-11 not the handle (those are actually two handles close together) on the centre pedestal. So when you use the buttons on your joystick you're trimming exactly as in the real aircraft, using your thumb.
EDIT:Come to think of it: I always do throttle with the throttle on my joystick and reversethrust with two buttons, because I can't use the handles in the VC: when I do I only turn one instead of all. Is there a way to let one click use them all?
There's no way for that no. However this wouldn't be practical at all, nor would it be the most real solution. When flying manually the real aircraft you grab those levers and move them back and forth, so the next closest thing on a PC based simulator is using whatever lever you have to control thrust, because that is what you need to have for manual flying. You need a lever to adjust power, not a mouse for moving a pointer, this would not FEEL real at all.It's great to be able to do everything in the VC, but when it comes to adjusting thrust the first priority should be how it feels, not how it looks. So if you only have one throttle lever to control thrust plugged into your PC and not three of them, no worries, this is still a lot more real than moving thrust levers using a mouse.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Thanks, Markus: you've good some good and reassuring points there, as usual. :(