Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

Where To Install Question

I know this has been covered somewhere before but cant find it right now. I am putting my 17 940 system together and want to install FSX on its own drive. I know FSX goes on that drive but what about FEX, GEX, Ultimate traffic, FDC Live Cockpit, Add on air craft? What things other than FSX go on the other drive or should I install anything to do with FSX on its own drive. I also have Track IR as well if that makes any difference as to where to install it.Thanks, Jim

Jim Wenham

I put everything FSX related on the same drive...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N
I know this has been covered somewhere before but cant find it right now. I am putting my 17 940 system together and want to install FSX on its own drive. I know FSX goes on that drive but what about FEX, GEX, Ultimate traffic, FDC Live Cockpit, Add on air craft? What things other than FSX go on the other drive or should I install anything to do with FSX on its own drive. I also have Track IR as well if that makes any difference as to where to install it.Thanks, Jim
FEX, GEX can go on the OS drive.. all they do is send textures to FSX by a selection.. .the rest should be installed directly into FSXHere is a little trick I use becasue FEX and GEX are very large database installs... Make a folder on the OS root drive and name it: XADDONSInstall FEX and GEX to that folderWhy?Because if you NAME DEFRAG then that folder ends up at the end of the data set and leaves the OS above it keeping OS perf top notch and not forcing the head to seek through gigs of data to get to the OS and other programs installed into the OSFEX and GEX are only 'database' programs and only need to be booted to make changes to texture selections which are sent TO FSX.. placing them in a stadegy for access and seek performance will help the systemYou can NOT install UTX and many other addons anywhere but into FSXHowever for Scenery you CAN install another drive and point FSX to it from the Scenery Library.. this is really only needed if you have massive amounts of Photscenery and other scenery addons which add up to 100's of gigs of data. Otherwise just install it to the FSX Addon Scenery folderReplacement AI which can add up to gigs and gigs can also be installed to another drive that way too with FSX... the FSX config must be edited to call the aircraft database folderUser Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\AirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\RotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\BoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\AnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\MiscSimObjectPaths.6=<YOUR DRIVE PATH>\AI AIRCRAFTI think thats how it works above.. someone here can correct me if I remembered incorrectly

I put nothing of FSX on the System drive. I have FSX on a different spindle. However, I put what I can on a different partition to FSX itself. This is only done to reduce the time taken for a "Name" defrag on the FSX partition itself and as Nick will agree a "Name" defrag can be a bit of a yawn if your waiting for it to finish. I do have Trackir on Program Files (X86) (I use Vista 64). Trackir will be resident once it is run so it shouldn't matter much where you install it. I would advise against placing FSX on your systems partition as it is highly dynamic and could interfere with any FSX defragmentation you may have completed. Good luck with your new PC.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Thanks for the info everybody. I already bought a 500 GB seagate barracuda and went to MicroCenter to get another as they were on sale for 69.00. Well they were sold out of the 500gb so I bought a 1TB seagate barracuda for 109.00. I am putting the OS, anything not related to FSX, and my music and pictures and such on the 1TB and FSX on the 500GB drive. If I want to stay married I have had to promise my wife that I am done buying. She must really love me to let me buy all this just to play, and so does New Egg! Here is what I have:Asus P6T Deluxe MOBOi7 940 Quad Core CPU with hopes to OC it to 4Ghz or higherThermalright 120 extreme CPU Cooler6gb (3x2) 1600 DDR3 OCZ Ram1TB Seagate SATA HD for OS and miscl files500 Seagate SATA HD for FSX/Add onsEVGA GTX 260 OC edition 896 mb DDR3Samsung 22X DVD/CD drive w/lightscribePC Power and Cooling 750w PSU w/60amp 12v VrailSmilodon Raidmax Gameing Case (lots of air circulation even has a fan to blow on the GPU if I so desire)22" Viewsonic LCD Widecreen MonitorI am going to run 32bit XP with the ram switch. To chicken to go 64 bit as everything I have software related is 32 bit and didnt want to have any issues with that. No plans whatsoever to use VISTA but will mostlikely go Windows 7 when it goes main stream (I have read good things about it so far)

Jim Wenham

If you will notice the simobject entries in Nick's post one might wonder if all the add-on user aircraft/ai aircraft might work on a different drive...I did try it with a couple of add-on AC and it reads them just fine... the more additions that can be put off the installation drive the less you would have to defrag the FSX drive and the less interruptions for FSX when running. I keep all the add-on traffic and aircraft out of the default folders anyway.Would it make a noticeable difference? Perhaps not but I don't see how it could slow things down.Yeah, I'm rebuilding because my boot drive abruptly wouldn't boot and I'm just now rebuilding FSXLoyd