Sign in to follow this  

3 Questions

Guest Jet

1. On the Falcon 50, is this the EX model or just the original 50??2. On the Falcon 50 when below 10,000 feet and usually going through turbulence, I note the A/P misses the assigned Alt. hold. When coming out of the flight levels it is just fine on step down descents from ATC but when I get below 10,000 and go through some rough air it keep sdecending right through the target Alt. I have installed the patch as well on this.3. I know there are 2 AI payware products out there, one of which is Flight One...the other I forgot. Can anyone advise on which is the best??That's enough for now...Thanks All.

Jet-its the straight Falcon 50 not the EX. I believe it may actually be a 1976 model 50 and possibly even serial number 1 in production (although I could be wrong about that).I've flown both the straight 50 and the EX in real life. The EX has full EFIS displays across the instrument panel and a few other differences. It also has newer versions of the Garrett engines that maintain their power better than the older 50's thus allowing better takeoff performance and better performance through the higher altitudes.I've also noticed the autopilot problem that you mention and have not figured out a solution other than being ready to disconnect it at level offs and do it by hand. Very irritating especially when busy with ATC online on the VATSIM network. I thought if I reduced the rate of climb for the last 1000 feet before level off that this would solve that problem--but--it doesn't always work so the autopilot can not be trusted for leveling off IMHO.This freeware creation is my favorite and is extremely well done IMO.The autopilot level off issue is one of the problems I see. The flight modelling is also quite a bit off when it comes to roll and pitch control. The real Falcon- with its hydraulically assisted controls is very light and manueverable requiring very little control effort to effect rapid roll changes and easy pitch changes. A big airplane that flies like a sportscar. The finest flying machine I've ever flown. Flies beautifully in real life and looks equally beautiful. Requires a minimum of back pressure on takeoff to rotate unlike in FS2002. As a matter of fact--switching back and forth between the Falcon and Cessna Citation Ultras always left me overrotating a bit in the Falcon on the first takeoff after flying the Citations! Had to consciously remind myself to have the light and slight touch on rotation.I'm retired now--and sure do miss the Falcon 50. Glad I've got it in FS2002 to parially fill a missing void for me--and at times I do feel like I'm back in it.My screen name- "ArthurQ" actually is derived from what is called the "Arthurq unit" or "Q-Unit" which is a device on the Falcon that adjusts the artificial feel of the hydraulic controls for varying speeds to give the pilot the proper feel in the controls for the various speeds. A slowly flying airplane's flight controls feel differently than an airplane flying at high speed-and since the Falcon's controls are hydraulic assisted or controlled--the pilot would have absolutely no difference in flight control feeling without this artificial feel system--resulting in overcontrolling at high speeds and undercontrolling at slow speeds. I thought "Arthurq" was a strange name for an aircraft component and grabbed it as my screen name-hehe. Not sure what the French were thinking when they named this arthurq--never found a good answer from any of my sim instructors or ground instructors at Flight Safety or Simuflite.Hope this answers your questions--would like to know myself if anyone has solved the autopilot--level off issue.AQ

Guest Jet

ArthurQ thanks for a very informative response. I learn something new everyday.I am not a real pilot but lucked out and got to fly the 50 in a level D Flight Safety machine in Teterboro. Man, that was heaven on earth. I had no idea what all the Bus ties were and now I know to a degree, it is very exciting to have this plane!I remember a very smooth airplane from the sim and in fact have increased the roll rate of Yannicks plane to get that light and slight feel...I remember it being effortless. I also toned down the rudder since I was all over on taxi and getting alot of rudder response in flight. The A/P is quite a challenge, especially with FS2002 ATC (I have to learn VATSIM, it sounds great). I also reduced the VSI thinking it would help capture the target Alt. to no avail. I usually go manual just as the work load is maxed out (recovering a busted altitiude while getting "turn left 220, descend and maintain 2000, cleared for the ILS 22R approach, contact tower now on 119.1" and fumbling for the approach check-list).But this plane is exciting to get into and so much fun to fly. Although I'm coming out of a low and slow recip which I have flown for about a year. I need alot of practice on my line ups, I'm having a hard time staying on the center line, I rock and roll like the Navy up there.In fact tonight I'm just going to practice approaches and takeoffs. I have the plane in Kew West on a flight from NJ and landed on the taxiway last night, so enough of the autopilot stuff...I have to get the hand flying part of this bird down. Thanks for the reply.I also A

AuthurQHave you noticed that even if you fill the fuel tanks on the 50 to 100% on the fuel menu, the gauges only show about 75 to 80% full? Any idea what is causing that?Thanks!!

jerrycwo4I asked the same question about a year ago and was told that the extra "space" was for fuel expansion? Jerry

Rich--I just filled it up and the gauges displayed a little over 5000lbs which is pretty accurate considering it holds about 15500lbs of fuel when full. Those gauges are pretty small but they do go up to 6000 lbs from what I remember on the straight 50 and from what I could see in Yannick's cockpit. But--full fuel is 5000 and a little more per tank even though the gauge looks like it would be full at 6000 lbs. So the gauge shouldn't read all the way to 6000 lbs when full.AQ

Guest Jet

ArthurQ...are you out there?Trying to get back in touch with you...lost your E-mail (sorry).Thanks.Greg