Sign in to follow this  
ger

New Videocard

Hi guys,First of all happy new year,a little bit off topic but i hope you can help me with thisi need to get a new graphic card but don't no wich one is the best for fsx.I searched through the hardware forums ,read articles on tom's hardware but couldn't find a good answer for this.Wich one is the best?Geforce 260 core 216 896 mbGeforce 9800 gtx+ 512 mbAti 4870 1024 mbThe cpu is a q6600 overclocked, windows vista 64 ultimate with 4 gb ,zalman 1000w psuAny help is very appreciated,Best regards,G

Guest cfgarrod

Hi Gerard,I have a similar spec pc: vista 64bit, 4Gb ram etc, FSX acceleration SP1, PMDG MD11, Matrox triplehead.My video card is an ASUS PCX eng TX260 896mb / geforce PCX GTX 260.Works great, but takes up a lot of space on the chassis and needs 2 PCIE slots free, one it plugs into and the one below is blocked 'cos it's a monster...!Check it will fit before buying.Regards,Chris

FSX is CPU limited, it really doesn't matter honestly. I've been very happy with my ATI 4870 personally, it does have an issue with certain panels (the MD-11 included) in FSX though where it can create visual "seams" across the 2D panel. I've also witnessed it on the Flight 1 Mustang and the LDS 767 (which use similar gauge display technology), so we know it's nothing we're doing wrong but rather a driver issue on ATI's part. The card has been absolutely stellar in every other game I've played with it though.I'd recommend the 4870 if you feel you can live with that slight 2D panel artifact stuff until ATI fixes it (I have notified them of it multiple times). If not, get the GTX 260. If FS is the only game you play, then that might even make a case for getting the older and cheaper 9800. If you play any other games though, definitely get one of the newer cards, they're much much faster in GPU limited games.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi guys,First of all happy new year,a little bit off topic but i hope you can help me with thisi need to get a new graphic card but don't no wich one is the best for fsx.I searched through the hardware forums ,read articles on tom's hardware but couldn't find a good answer for this.Wich one is the best?Geforce 260 core 216 896 mbGeforce 9800 gtx+ 512 mbAti 4870 1024 mbThe cpu is a q6600 overclocked, windows vista 64 ultimate with 4 gb ,zalman 1000w psuAny help is very appreciated,Best regards,G

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

From your list I would also go for the GTX260 because other games will benefit from it (more than from that 9800 one). I'd stick with a nVidia card anyway, because it's a known fact nVidia cards are better with FSX than ATI cards. (It's not just the brandnamesticker that's different: it's the whole architecture of the cards and FSX likes the nVidia setup more).

I don't agree with that - my 4870 smokes the 8800GT I had. If you're referring to problems ATI cards had with clouds etc a while back, that's all gone, the 4 series is a brand new architecture. Most reviews I've seen have it beating the 260 in a lot of games.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I don't agree with that - my 4870 smokes the 8800GT I had. If you're referring to problems ATI cards had with clouds etc a while back, that's all gone, the 4 series is a brand new architecture. Most reviews I've seen have it beating the 260 in a lot of games.
Ryan won't agree with me, but I wouldn't touch an ATI card if Ryan paid for it...

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Vin, I think you have a great idea. Ryan should buy you a card! Really, the latest is doing okay on my system. No blurries, ahem.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest D17S

Smokin'? Who's been smokin'! Blurries and better frames solved by a Vcard? Da 88's all da dawg FS can use . . . and who's that new guy that didn't sign his name. Shame! (ya gotta watch these new guys all the time).

FSX is CPU limited, it really doesn't matter honestly. I've been very happy with my ATI 4870 personally, it does have an issue with certain panels (the MD-11 included) in FSX though where it can create visual "seams" across the 2D panel. I've also witnessed it on the Flight 1 Mustang and the LDS 767 (which use similar gauge display technology), so we know it's nothing we're doing wrong but rather a driver issue on ATI's part. The card has been absolutely stellar in every other game I've played with it though.I'd recommend the 4870 if you feel you can live with that slight 2D panel artifact stuff until ATI fixes it (I have notified them of it multiple times). If not, get the GTX 260. If FS is the only game you play, then that might even make a case for getting the older and cheaper 9800. If you play any other games though, definitely get one of the newer cards, they're much much faster in GPU limited games.
Ahh I thought I was the only one, I have a 4870x2 and I get the seam (single artifact) running diagonally across the 2D panel, must have started after the latest drivers because it wasn't like that before I updated the driver. It happens for me on default FSX and all addon panels.Jay V.

I bought the card right when they were released and it's been there in all the driver versions, trust me - we were pulling our hair out trying to figure out if it was something in the code during the FSX version beta testing...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

I bought the card right when they were released and it's been there in all the driver versions, trust me - we were pulling our hair out trying to figure out if it was something in the code during the FSX version beta testing...
Hmm, ok so I wonder why it wasn't there during the first week I was using FSX with the new system?I was considering reinstalling FSX but it is too much bother with all the mods I have installed as it is hardly bothering me.Jay V.