Sign in to follow this  
nandrews

Any Way To Be An Instructor?

I have a relative who has just got FSX (+Accel) and wants help flying. As I have a few years of experience (with FS) I want to fly with him remotely. Is there a way I can put myself in his cockpit and see his actions, tho' probably not fly it or change any controls?I beleive there was an Instructor option in previous versions of FS, but I never used them.Thanks and Happy New YearNigel

Go to FSX's Learning Center. There, under the Key Topics tab, you'll find an article "Multiplayer Flying" where you will find "Sharing Your Aircraft - Fun or flight instruction".

Guest PPSFA
I have a relative who has just got FSX (+Accel) and wants help flying. As I have a few years of experience (with FS) I want to fly with him remotely. Is there a way I can put myself in his cockpit and see his actions, tho' probably not fly it or change any controls?I beleive there was an Instructor option in previous versions of FS, but I never used them.Thanks and Happy New YearNigel
We do this all the time, its very easy, but start with a default FSX plane, as most addons have a 'glitch' or two.In the FSX menu, select the 'Multiplayer' option, then create an account with 'Gamespy'. Once you login, either of you can HOST a 'session', I suggest you switch to one of the lesser used 'lobbies' and not the default one. Once you have a session created, your friend 'joins' it.Set up the flight as you normally do. As you scroll through the pages, check the option to 'SHARE my AIRCRAFT, only one of you need to do that. Create the entire session setup, then load the session. Once you are in the game, have your friend join. At the last page, he will see the option to 'JOIN Aircraft', have him click that then join the game. He doesnt need to choose a plane, flight plan, or anything else, since hes joining your plane.Once you are both in the plane, either pilot can fly. The host has initial control, but hitting 'SHIFT+T will transfer control, you press it to send, he presses it again to take control. The non flying pilot still has the ability to work most systems, just not the flight controls or throttle. Experiment a bit and you will soon figure the rest out. I hope this helps, have fun, shared cockpit is the best thing since sliced bread!

Thanks Jay,I will follow your advice. I tried the GameSpy network but it seems very flakey, difficult to logging in and then difficulty (no luck so far) joining a session.Thanks for encouragement.Nigel

Guest PPSFA
Thanks Jay,I will follow your advice. I tried the GameSpy network but it seems very flakey, difficult to logging in and then difficulty (no luck so far) joining a session.Thanks for encouragement.Nigel
Gamespy can be flakey, especially on the weekends. To get used to it I would sugest you host a session first, password it so you dont get bothered, and get familier with the interface. A few things that help are disabling any antivirus you are running, some interfer, some don't. Also, if you have the option, use an external voice program like Teamspeak instead of the built in voice in FS. The default voice really sucks up bandwidth.

Jay,Thanks again for your tips.We got around to trying it again this evening.Hosting in one direction, the session wouldn't show, but in the other direction we had a bit more success.However when we got to the cockpit I was sitting behind the aircraft of the host in another aircraft (same type)!We had definately selected, or left the settings as they already were set, for sharing.Also we had selected to share voice communication, but I could not hear the host when using his mic and he could not hear me using mine (tho' I had checked the mic working before).This all occured the same on the second attempt the other person made to host.We were slightly confused that there seems to be two places where we could set sharing aircraft and also a chance to set a password just for the sharing!I wonder if you can help me a bit more.ThanksNigel

Guest PPSFA
Hosting in one direction, the session wouldn't show, but in the other direction we had a bit more success.That may be a router/modem setting, If the ports arent open, it will cause that.However when we got to the cockpit I was sitting behind the aircraft of the host in another aircraft (same type)!We had definately selected, or left the settings as they already were set, for sharing.One of you has to enable 'Share my Aircraft', and the other one has to disable it, otherwise you cannot join the same planeAlso we had selected to share voice communication, but I could not hear the host when using his mic and he could not hear me using mine (tho' I had checked the mic working before). Using the built in voice is usually flakey. You would be better off using an external voice program like Teamspeak or VentriloThis all occured the same on the second attempt the other person made to host.We were slightly confused that there seems to be two places where we could set sharing aircraft and also a chance to set a password just for the sharing!One one page, you enable/disable sharing and that determines who is the host plane. You then select the 'Join' option on the last page, next to their plane, just before entering the session. Usually the host of the session is also the host of the plane you are going to share.Hope this helps

Jay,Sorry for the delay. The forum didn't tell me a new message was on the thread!I see what you say about the sharing aircraft. We had assumed the second instance of the sharing option was just repeating that the host was doing so. Now I realise that was the non-hosts prompt and we need to deselect that.Will try Teamspeak as an alternate. I had used Squwakbox many years ago which work well but I guess that is outdated.ThanksNigel

You can also simply use the IP address of your "host FSX machine" and avoid using the GameSpy Lobby entirely...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator