Sign in to follow this  
beorn

Tcas And Vor/adf Switsches In The Beechcraft?

Hi everyone!I've got some questions about the Beech 1900D.1. Is there a TCAS with TA/RA Mode in the PMDG Beech 1900D or do I have to install some add-on (e.g. RXP JetLine 2) to get the traffic info and advisory on the ND or the V/S display? I can see, that there is a TCAS module in the radio stack, but I can only enter my squawk there, there aren't any other switches.2. Is there a possibility to choose between ADF and VOR indication on the RMI or is the thin pointer fixed to ADF and the thick one to the VOR2 (NAV2) indication?3. Can the autopilot follow a VOR radial (like on a VOR approach, but enroute) or do I have to keep the VOR needle centered manually?4. Is there a place where I could get some more info about various AP modes and ND indications in the Beechcraft, especially NAV/HDG (AP) and NAV/GPS (ND)?Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone!I've got some questions about the Beech 1900D.1. Is there a TCAS with TA/RA Mode in the PMDG Beech 1900D or do I have to install some add-on (e.g. RXP JetLine 2) to get the traffic info and advisory on the ND or the V/S display? I can see, that there is a TCAS module in the radio stack, but I can only enter my squawk there, there aren't any other switches.2. Is there a possibility to choose between ADF and VOR indication on the RMI or is the thin pointer fixed to ADF and the thick one to the VOR2 (NAV2) indication?3. Can the autopilot follow a VOR radial (like on a VOR approach, but enroute) or do I have to keep the VOR needle centered manually?4. Is there a place where I could get some more info about various AP modes and ND indications in the Beechcraft, especially NAV/HDG (AP) and NAV/GPS (ND)?Thanks in advance!
1. TCAS is not available with this aircraft. Add a second party (RXP) TCAS using their panel configs. Many are rather nice, if you have the relevant software. The radio stack has a Transponder, not a TCAS. TCAS is a secondary accessory that uses the transponder and other transponders surrounding the aircraft to determine aircraft positions and render advisories and resolutions.2. I think the thick and thin are slaved to only one NAV indication, but I'd have to load up FS and look at it to confirm.3. Yes, the AP can follow a VOR radial: tune the frequency, ident it (for the RW fliers), then turn the course to the correct radial. Once that's set up, turn on the AP and select NAV. If you want to follow a GPS course, you'll have to switch the NAV source from VOR to GPS. I don't recall there being a source switch on the panel, so you'll have to set one up for FS. In order to do so, open up Options and Assignments. Once in there, look and there should be a Switch NAV/GPS command. I think I created one under "CTRL+SHIFT+N". 4. I can try to load it up tomorrow night or so and give you a brief run through of the various AP modes and switches. If you want, all of the autopilots in the GA planes in FS generally run off of the same settings (ALT is ALT hold mode on pretty much any aircraft, VS holds a vert speed, HDG holds a set heading, NAV holds a VOR radial or LOC, APP does LOC + GS, etc).Cheers and happy flying,Kyle

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks, Kyle!1. That's clear.2. Well, I couldn't find any switches to correct that. Those little white things under thr RMI are fixed to ADF and VOR respectively.3. Great! This NAV mode has another function! By the waym the NAV-GPS-switch is placed at the bottom of the ND. I thought, the NAV mode was for GPS data only.4. Well, my primary question was about those NAV/GPS modes. You've already answered it in (3), so there's no need to explain the AP in B1900 further. But thank you very much anyway!And a general remark: I really miss a normal Manual for the Beechcraft... :-/

Michael,I'm glad that helped. I would've verified everything before posting, but I had to run out before I could. As for the manual, I could go for something more in depth, but it's only Express, so I half expected a quick manual. Unfortunately, that's what other developers provide on their full products...Cheers,Kyle

Kyle Rodgers

It's been a while since I've used the PMDG 1900D. I fly a real 1900D for a US airline...1. In the real airplane - TCAS is an aftermarket addon - it is a separate gauge - Our airline uses a combined Sandel TCAS/EGPWS gauge. But usually it only is a traffic awareness - it does not provide any resolution advisories.2. I've noticed that the PMDG 1900 appears to use the MS default King Air gauges, so it's not really realistic in showing the the EADI/EHSI tubes on a real 1900.3 - Although there are 1900s that do have autopilots, they are usually installed on privately owned 1900s. Virtually all airline 1900D's (in the US) do not have any autopilot installed as it's not required by the airplane's type certificate, and it's an extra $$$ option that airlines don't want to pay for. There is a flight director but it only works on the captain's EADI, the first officer's EADI does not have a flight director. The flight director will track heading or VOR(NAV). GPS if it is installed is an aftermarket add-on to the aircraft. Again most airline 1900Ds (in the US) do not have GPS either again due to the extra $$$$ cost.Navigation in the 1900D:Primary method - looking out the window IFR (I follow roads)Secondary method - requesting radar vectors direct (Kansas City Center, XYZ 123, requesting heading 245 direct XYZ when able)Tertiary method - VOR/NDB tracking.When flying - I'll usually be on a radar vector heading with a DME source (usually an ILS/DME) on the field tuned in on NAV 1 (so I know how far away from the destination I am) or if there is no DME on the field, I'll tune in a VOR in NAV 1, and have the FO tune in a cross radial VOR on NAV 2, and bring up a poor mans' NAV display up on the EHSI map mode/nav display to cross the radials and where the radials cross, that's where the airport is and I point the airplane in the direction of the crossed radials.If I do need an autopilot, I use the First officer as the autopilot to fly straight(track heading or VOR) and level. And I use the flight director to verify that FO is actually doing what I'm asking him to do. If the flight director commands a turn one way or another, the FO / autopilot is off course.4 - In real life, pilots would like more info on the Beechcraft AP / ND modes as well - the use of the EHSI / nav display is all taught OJT (on the job). either you figure it out or you don't. And if you don't it doesn't matter either - just fly the darned airplane. The closest thing I've found is the B1900 airplane flight manual but its like 1 or 2 pages. I'll see if I can get a copy and send it to you.