Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Windows & Fsx ... Promising

FSX on Windows 7 v7000 looks very promising....Had the chance to see a 4GHz Quad PC running FSX on Windows 7 v7000 , was very impressed with the results.Was a clean install of W7 and FSX SP2 (non acc) using the latest nVidia drivers with a GTX280.Result was clean stutter free flight at a solid locked 30 fps, the framerate seemed just to pin at 30 even in busy downtown areas,that it seemed on FSX Vista 32 would have taken a hit. No benchmarks so who knows for sure but it seemed impressive on 1st look.The OS itself looked very nice as well with a number of useful features over Vista and XP.Looks like a big winner for MS, I expect to install the final version on all my PCs.In fact, I'll probably download the beta once MS releases it in the next couple of weeks and use it for my FSX PC. It seemed that good.IF anyone else has seen a W7 7000 machine running FSX be interested in hearing your views too ...

I'd really like to see this for myself!Could you see how much CPU power and memory was being used on the desktop alone?

Guest Nick_N
I'd really like to see this for myself!Could you see how much CPU power and memory was being used on the desktop alone?
I have seen the latest W7 and gone through itits not that impressive.. a bit better perf than Vista but because its not sucking the typical Vista resourcesIts a cut down version of Windows Vista and no different than Vista perf.. except the system is not bloated to the max and you still must shut down the JUNK they leave enabled by defaultreally dissapointing to me they are doing this crap. Same as FS9 to FSX... same old s... just reworkedunless something changes in the next year all I see is a reworked Vista install to correct the mistakes Vista had with overbloat which may not be bad but I certainly would not call it new and improved

Guest ziporama
FSX on Windows 7 v7000 looks very promising....Had the chance to see a 4GHz Quad PC running FSX on Windows 7 v7000 , was very impressed with the results.Was a clean install of W7 and FSX SP2 (non acc) using the latest nVidia drivers with a GTX280.Result was clean stutter free flight at a solid locked 30 fps, the framerate seemed just to pin at 30 even in busy downtown areas,that it seemed on FSX Vista 32 would have taken a hit. No benchmarks so who knows for sure but it seemed impressive on 1st look.The OS itself looked very nice as well with a number of useful features over Vista and XP.Looks like a big winner for MS, I expect to install the final version on all my PCs.In fact, I'll probably download the beta once MS releases it in the next couple of weeks and use it for my FSX PC. It seemed that good.IF anyone else has seen a W7 7000 machine running FSX be interested in hearing your views too ...
Thanks for the heads up - I'll be looking for it. The performance for W7 over Vista 64 is what I'm really looking for as Vista 64 has been a better performer for me over XP 32 on my hardware.Etienne

Agreed, I would rather see a comparison between Vista64 and W7, rather than Vista32 and W7. I don't expect much out of W7+FSX over a cleaned-up Vista64+FSX....

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Nick_N
Agreed, I would rather see a comparison between Vista64 and W7, rather than Vista32 and W7. I don't expect much out of W7+FSX over a cleaned-up Vista64+FSX....
I posted the results..W7 x64 to Vista x64 Apples to Apples FSX installs = slightly better perf, NOTHING spectacular. The perf I saw was NOT because of ANY innovation.. it was because unlike Vista, they LEANED W7 down by default install and gave you access to shutting down UAC and other things from the control panelIts Vista trimmed down... and unless something changes in the next year thats all its going to bealthough I will say IE8 runs like a rocket on the net.. but they also disabled a lot of funtions enabled by default in IE7... again, a lean jobone other thing that is important to note... the releases they have been putting out are MISSING features LOL! Cant wait till all that gets added inI hope they do get it running better and add/change for the final product however at this point all I see in W7 is a very optimized Vista

Hopefully MS does release the v7000 code soon for all to try.It looks promising as a OS in generalhas a number of features done much better than in Vista.Gone are the endless UAC prompts, difficult networking permission setups and 24hr disk trashing for weeks.Its seems to run FSX a step above Vista 32 too while its still in beta which is a good sign.Tried and true XP is starting to show its age, like some of us,I'm ready for a refresh :)

Hmmmm.... I think next time I'll go back to XP, can you get a copy of XP x64 if you have a x86 copy already? I have a MSDN Academic alliance x86 ver of XP Pro but now I got the extra RAM I would like XP x64. Does anyone run XP x64? Are there any driver conflicts or peripheral problems (printers, cameras etc)?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hmmmm.... I think next time I'll go back to XP, can you get a copy of XP x64 if you have a x86 copy already? I have a MSDN Academic alliance x86 ver of XP Pro but now I got the extra RAM I would like XP x64. Does anyone run XP x64? Are there any driver conflicts or peripheral problems (printers, cameras etc)
I have XP Professional x64 Edition in my rig and I never had any compatibility issues. You should go to the websites of the manufacturers of your devices to make sure that there are drivers available for XP x64.XP x64 is a bit rare to come by these days. You could buy it from here.However you can't simply upgrade from the 32 to the 64 bit version, you have to do a complete reinstall.The one main issue is getting antivirus protection that works on the 64-bit version, Kaspersky is what I recommend for that.

Hmmmm.... I think next time I'll go back to XP, can you get a copy of XP x64 if you have a x86 copy already? I have a MSDN Academic alliance x86 ver of XP Pro but now I got the extra RAM I would like XP x64. Does anyone run XP x64? Are there any driver conflicts or peripheral problems (printers, cameras etc)?
I can also confirm, I installed XP64 last weekend, I am only amazed by the speed and the stability. My XP32 has always been very very stable and fast. Now, with 64bit all OOM errors are gone, hardware is supplied by 64bit driver versions, and I will get me a cheap laptop to run some apps over WideFS so I can fly full screen without switching. All I need ;)

Guest djt01
I can also confirm, I installed XP64 last weekend, I am only amazed by the speed and the stability.
The same can be said for Vista 64/SP1 or SP2 beta, stable and fast.The problem with XP 64 is the fact very little effort is being put into new drivers, XP in general has become ignored.

Guest simjunkie

I'm on XP64. I wouldn't touch Vista if you paid me to, 64 bit or not. I have yet to see anything that disproves that FSX runs better on XP than Vista, and that's what it's all about here. It's stable as a rock, I have zero driver problems or problems finding drivers for any of my HW. And I control my own security and computer management decisions, not Big Brother Vista.-jk

Guest djt01
I'm on XP64. I wouldn't touch Vista if you paid me to, 64 bit or not. I have yet to see anything that disproves that FSX runs better on XP than Vista, and that's what it's all about here. -jk
It

Guest djt01

This was an early look at Vista 64 vs. XP 64 from Anandtech, long before the Vista updates and Vista driver refinement that we

Guest simjunkie
This was an early look at Vista 64 vs. XP 64 from Anandtech, long before the Vista updates and Vista driver refinement that we