Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

Disk Partitions In Vista 64

I've some queries re. a new machine. This will have two boot up options: Vista 64 (chosen for FSX and also because I want to run 4GB DDR2) and Linux Ubuntu for work-related tasks. Will FS9 run without problems in Vista 64? On my current machine I'm running it in XP Pro. I would like to avoid having to install XP Pro in my new machine if possibleI read on another thread that it is best not to partition HDDs running FS9 and/or FSX. Is this correct? Can I install FS9 and FSX on the same HDD without problems? My idea was to partition and install these programs on separate partitions but now I am not sure. Asus Rampage Formula Intel X48 Intel Q9650 OCZ 4GB 1066MHz DDR2 Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache etcJohn

Supporter.png

John

I'm using a Q9550/P45/4GB/500GB SATA-II 32MB. I just installed FS9 to a Vista 64 partition, which had a preexisting FSX installation. I also copied over my modified 3GB-aware FS9.exe file, although I'm not sure if it was necessary. So far, FS9 (and FSX) are running without any problems. I'm currently testing my FS9 LDS767/FS2Crew with a lot of commercial/freeware scenery add-ons and a FSUIPC/WideFS link to a laptop client running Active Sky Advanced/Radar Contact/AI Seperation. I'll echo recent comments (be sure to search for them), FS9 actually runs better. One example, my scenery pops into focus more quickly and I encounter less stuttering (realizing my old WinXP installation ran well to begin withl).I have not reinstalled all my add-ons however. I know some of my DreamFleet aircraft with the 16-bit RealityXP/Garmin trainer won't work. One downside, it took me much longer than expected. I ran into a lot of "little" learning experiences, like figuring out to best optimize Vista for FS9 and how to get my FS9 Vista server to talk to my WinXP laptop client via a home network.

Many thanks. This is reassuring and I will give FS9 a go with Vista 64. I have two 500 GB HDDs. The plan is:HDD #1: Vista 64 on one partition; FSX on another; general stuff on anotherHDD #2: FS9 on one partition; Linux on another; FS scenery design stuff on anotherYour set up with WideFS is very similar to mine although my client PC runs Win2000 - WideFS, Active Sky, BAV Acars, Malev VA Acars, RC all work fine. Re. network. One of the 'pros' of Vista much trumpeted by MS is easier networking. Networking is always tricky with MS operating systems imo. It would seem that the MS geeks have still some way to go.John

Supporter.png

John